🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Starring Sir Sean Connery:
[attachment=2473,55]

Plus it's on Netflix streaming

So Zardoz is a bit of a "classic", for anyone into weird/bad cinema. It stars Sean Connery and Zardoz; a giant stone head who spits guns at primitive tribes people (of which Connery is one). Kinda like Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple...except for the "spitting guns" part:) Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

You guys do a lot of bad movies, some weird movies, some "How did this turn out so bad?" movies, but not enough movies that truly fall into the "How did this GET MADE!?!" category. At least that's my opinion. The fact that this movie exists, frankly, is baffling. Who wanted to see THIS vision onscreen? I think you guys should check it out.

Oh, and June - Sean Connery is shirtless for much of the movie. So, y'know....that's something for the ladies;)

Connery in a red diaper and a handlebar moustache? Check.

Floating head that upchucks rifles? Check.

A sexy Charlotte Rampling? Check.

This film is freaking fantastic. Personally I wouldn't make the suggestion, but I can see this make a good HDTGM show, with a good comic nerd or sci-fi comedian...Greg Proops possibly.

zardoz.jpg

Certainly suffers from futurism that feels quaintly archaic but I really love how they tried to do something different with this movie. There were a lot of very brave choices that have just dated incredibly badly and concepts they just didnt have the technology to pull off (not that CG is any real improvement overall).

I really enjoyed how the high concept plot sorta gets boiled down to a pretty simple one by the movies end, you can almost feel the producers balking at the first cut and demanding it all get carefully explained or the audiences minds just might implode :)

• Like 1

I just saw this a few days ago, and though I was very put off by the Connery mankini, I thought it really wasn't that horrible in comparison to other sci fi work of the early 70's. There were a handful of great visual ideas in the first act but then it settled into a fairly standard fish out of water, boy meets girl in strange vortex world, girl tries to ferret out how he got there through telepathy, boobs, boobs and lots of references to operational and non-operational penises.

Honestly, the chattle scene where Charlotte Rampling is all "he's a beast who's gonna bone-zone all you womenses" was just silly.

• Like 2

You know you're in for something interesting when a movie positions itself against one of the greatest science-fiction books/films of all time and one of the greatest dystopian novels of all time, right on the poster.

zardoz_xlg_zps07cbc871.jpg

• Like 2

This movie is a classic, but it's so bad it's good. like the Gun is good, penis is evil!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

I really do love this movie. you have to see this movie to enjoy the ending of the knowing with nick cage, it's a tribute to zardoz. even uses the same music Beethoven, Symphony 7, Allegretto. I love this music, I own it on cd. you guys remember cd's don't you guys? well after seeing zardoz I had a little earworm for weeks.

• Like 1

I would like to submit Zardoz for consideration. Here's the main problem: I actually legitimately love it. I started out thinking it was terrible and was won over by the end. I only saw it once, though, so I might be "wrong" (but I'm not).

Either way it's a fun movie to watch and there's still plenty to talk about on the podcast. Here's the trailer:

No that's about right cybert00thtiger. it's so over the top bad it's good. that's why it's a cult classic movie.

PLEASE do Zardoz. Per a poster in the Winter's Tale thread:

Just the way the guys were talking about this reminds me of when people try to explain watching reliving the traumatic experience of having been exposed to ZARDOZ

This is exactly the type of movie that would need most of the episode just to figure out what happened.

I've tried and failed to get through Zardoz twice, but third time's the charm.

• Like 1

A little something that others might of missed.

So the immortals are tired of living for so long, right? You would think that would mean thousands, if not millions of years, but a small line mentions that the Immortals are said to have been in this state for 300 years, and the year is 2293, which means they started in 1993...

• Like 1

In other Dan Harmon-related media, Zardoz made an appearance in this week's episode of Rick & Morty (which is a great little show, incidentally).

qggx5gw.png

• Like 2

I want to come into this thread and say that I like it, but I haven't seen it in over a decade, so I may not enjoy it as much now (however, I do have a soft spot for dystopias)

Yes this movie is a must! it's like being trapped inside the mind of a serial murder for two hours, Sean Connery's diaper spandez is pretty epic as well.

This one really needs to be done - regardless of the debate of whether it is actually "good" or not.

The opening scene has a giant flying stone head bellowing: "The Gun is good! The Penis is evil!"

I mean...

• Like 1

Some people think of Sean Connery and they think of James bond. I think of Sean Connery and I think of Zardoz. This is Sean Connery at his best people! at the prime of his life. it's all down hill from here and the end of his leading role days. Sean Connery walking around with his shirt off is like seeing a big wet dog that you once loved but lost, come running home.

Five stars.

They will never do this movie nor any movie that is prior to the 1980's.

• Like 2

They will never do this movie nor any movie that is prior to the 1980's.

If this is the case, it's fine with me. I love classic (good and bad) movies from before the 80s as much as anyone, but if the gang's wheelhouse is 80s and beyond that's perfectly okay.

I started this conspiracy theory and so far it's been yet to be proven untrue. none of the classics have yet to be done as HDTGM movies.