๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 143 - Gods of Egypt

I figured out the font problem, it was missing in action.

ย 

f2pkyh.jpg

ย 

I love how this has turned into tech talk.

ย 

see the kind of things I do for you Maximiliano,

• Like 2

I dont think anybody else has pointed this out yet, but the massive tower with Gerard Butlers face on it was also being sculpted as to show his beard and moustache. Which for some reason just seemed fucking insane to me.

• Like 5

I dont think anybody else has pointed this out yet, but the massive tower with Gerard Butlers face on it was also being sculpted as to show his beard and moustache. Which for some reason just seemed fucking insane to me.

ย 

If nothing else it would give him pause anytime he thought about shaving.

I started listening to another creepy docu-drama podcast and Jason just got a shout out in the middle of it along with PFT.

ย 

So at least I know the people at PNWS are fans of comedy lol.

• Like 2

Some of you might not have noticed but I haven't been here since March. I'm not selfish enough to assume that my absence was noted, but thanks to all of your great corrections and omissions whenever I heard a minisode I felt like I was back here.

ย 

Sorry for being late to the welcome home party, but welcome back Cam Bert! Your insights here on the board and in the mini eps has been missed. I'm glad you're back.

• Like 3

and just so jason doesn't feel left out ...

ย 

8zgs3b.jpg

The tagline for this poster should have been "I'm fucking furious...this movie made me so angry."

ย 

Sorry for being late to the welcome home party, but welcome back Cam Bert! Your insights here on the board and in the mini eps has been missed. I'm glad you're back.

Thank you very much!

In the movie after Bek steals Horus's eye he goes to find Horus at the crypt of Osiris and Isis. Although not directly stated this is safe to assume this given there are two large sarcophagi and giant stone heads of Osiris and Isis in front of it. So far so good, however before the two sarcophagi are a few steps and a platform, which is used to hide and or bury Bek's girlfriend. I want to know what was the point of this feature. At first I thought it might be for Horus when he dies, however it's too small for him and a deity of that importance would probably get their own crypt. Is it a compartment for holding offerings? If that were the case why would it have to be seemingly hidden? Also offerings were strewn over the front steps and yet none inside and it was empty except for a few jugs when the girlfriend went in. If it was to hold offerings why would you hide them? Regardless of what it was suppose to hold or do why did Set think to look in there? If it was meant to be a burial space for mortals why put it in the crypt of the former king and queen and why put it in front of their sarcophagi. At the end of the movie Horus goes to bury Bek there next to his girlfriend. Why bury you new friend with your parents? Why would you bury his girlfriend there when you weren't even friends yet? Man, this movie...

ย 

Also, if Bek's girlfriends journey was suppose to take seven days how come her body didn't start decaying?

• Like 3

Also, if her Bek's girlfriends journey was suppose to take seven days how come her body didn't start decaying?

My roommate was joking about her decomposing from the moment they hid her away lol She must've smelled great.

ย 

Thinking on what little I remember from Egyptian tombs, it may not be unusual for a pharaoh's tomb to have extra chambers for treasure or servants, since they believe whatever they were buried with would be taken to the afterlife (servants could be sacrificed, lucky them lol). But thinking back on it now, an empty hidden space under the steps or whatever seems rather pointless. And yeah, how did Set know of it? Maybe it was some secret hiding spot the family would use to pass notes.

ย 

For that matter, if Set was familiar with the tomb, and knew blind Horus was hanging out there, why didn't he try to finish him off earlier?

ย 

Why was the burial chamber even open to access by commoners? And why was it surrounded by a seemingly bottomless pit? I am remembering that correctly, right? So many questions...

• Like 1

Also, if her Bek's girlfriends journey was suppose to take seven days how come her body didn't start decaying?

ย 

Especially in that hot weather.

My roommate was joking about her decomposing from the moment they hid her away lol She must've smelled great.

ย 

Thinking on what little I remember from Egyptian tombs, it may not be unusual for a pharaoh's tomb to have extra chambers for treasure or servants, since they believe whatever they were buried with would be taken to the afterlife (servants could be sacrificed, lucky them lol). But thinking back on it now, an empty hidden space under the steps or whatever seems rather pointless. And yeah, how did Set know of it? Maybe it was some secret hiding spot the family would use to pass notes.

ย 

For that matter, if Set was familiar with the tomb, and knew blind Horus was hanging out there, why didn't he try to finish him off earlier?

ย 

Why was the burial chamber even open to access by commoners? And why was it surrounded by a seemingly bottomless pit? I am remembering that correctly, right? So many questions...

ย 

I remember reading once about that kind of chamber too but even if that's what it was considering like you said the whole thing was open to the public to freely come in and peruse why put that chamber smack dab in the middle of the room in front of the sarcophagi? Maybe it did hold treasure but due to his drunken and blind state Horus couldn't see the grave robbers come in.

ย 

I chalked up Set not going after Horus sooner as that classic bad guy cliche. However everybody seemingly knew that's where Horus was too. Bek knew to go there, Set knew to go there, I guess it was just common knowledge. How he survived there and not fallen into the surrounding pit in a drunken stupor is another question. How did he survive? Did he just eat every offering that came in? When he thought Bek was a worshiper he told him not to leave any food. Was he eating his parents bodies? We know they need to drink water, so surely they must need to eat too.

• Like 1

ย 

I remember reading once about that kind of chamber too but even if that's what it was considering like you said the whole thing was open to the public to freely come in and peruse why put that chamber smack dab in the middle of the room in front of the sarcophagi? Maybe it did hold treasure but due to his drunken and blind state Horus couldn't see the grave robbers come in.

ย 

I chalked up Set not going after Horus sooner as that classic bad guy cliche. However everybody seemingly knew that's where Horus was too. Bek knew to go there, Set knew to go there, I guess it was just common knowledge. How he survived there and not fallen into the surrounding pit in a drunken stupor is another question. How did he survive? Did he just eat every offering that came in? When he thought Bek was a worshiper he told him not to leave any food. Was he eating his parents bodies? We know they need to drink water, so surely they must need to eat too.

ย 

Oh man, I never thought about any of that! How did the blind Horus not fall?

Maybe someone kept bringing him lettuce.

ย 

Okay, I want to share exactly what broke my brain at the beginning of the movie.

ย 

2l45tz.jpg

ย 

The VERY first scene fades in and pans out on this. This figure is Aten, the sun disk. The rays coming down from it end in hands or ankhs and is one of the things I remember decently from my art history class. The pharaoh Amenhotep took the sun disk from Ra (that circle over his head in ancient art), set it up as the deity of his own religion, and changed his name to Akhenaten (note the "aten" at the end). Akhenaten basically set up Aten as the only god, banned the others, and said the only one who could talk to Aten was himself.

ย 

This left the cult of Ra none too happy. This new religion ended after Akhenaten and Nefertiti's rule. When Akhenaten's son Tutankhaten became pharaoh, the cult of Ra came back into power, and Tutankhaten became Tutankhamun, whom we all know pretty well. Akhenaten was not thought of highly by later successors, and I believe they kind of tried to sweep that bit of history under the rug.

ย 

So for this movie to focus on the gods from the cult of Ra, but open upon an IMAGE OF ATEN was just completely baffling to me. I couldn't handle it. I still cannot find the words to express exactly how frustrated it makes me.

• Like 3

I cannot be the only one who thought that Zaya and Bek were the young versions of Jamie Lanister and Hathor. I thought they were a flashback until I saw them on screen together.

ย 

I was obsessed with the height of the gods too. At no point did the height ever seem to actually have an effect on the story other than when their height was mentioned. Seems like they could've shaved some money off the top by just having them be normal.

• Like 1

Correction (perhaps). Allow me to explain why the gods' blood is "gold." The blood they bleed is not normal blood, it's ichor. In Greek mythology the gods and demigods don't have red blood, but rather an immortal type of blood called ichor which is gold in color. Yes, I know this movie is about Egyptian gods, but they included the riddle of the Sphinx, which is a Greek, not Egyptian myth, so I think it's likely the makers just thought "gods have gold blood" because they remember that aspect of Greek mythology.

• Like 1

HAHA! I watched it on a Sunday with a hangover. It didn't make it any better :D

Tomorrow I'll post about Gods of Egypt meanwhile enjoy this .gif I made

ย 

NXAzjVf.gif

• Like 5

one more ..

ย 

xgl07m.jpg

ย 

it's hard to top that but I'll try with my ace up my sleeve.

ย 

2dt3a6s.jpg

• Like 2

ahhh shit ... RIP Gene ... thanks for all the laughs and tears...

ย 

bg3C1NO.jpg

ย 

ย 

what did he die?

That's too bad. He always had that sparkle in his eye, like a true movie star does.

I loved him in Blazing Saddles and Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

ย 

but his best work was with harrison ford in The Frisco Kid! LOL I kid.

ย 

ย 

I don't ride on

!!
  • Like 2