🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 143 - Gods of Egypt

Wait is that for real?

No. Paul wrote a tweet questioning why Young Frankenstein isn't available on any digital platform but Young Einstein is. I had to research that as well, because that would have been crazy...

That being said, they should totally do Young Einstein.

• Like 3

Completely forgot about Yahoo Serious, good lord how has he not ended up on Dancing with the stars or the Surreal Life?

No. Paul wrote a tweet questioning why Young Frankenstein isn't available on any digital platform but Young Einstein is. I had to research that as well, because that would have been crazy...

That being said, they should totally do Young Einstein.

thank god you corrected me, Cameron H. The way they did the two pictures together it made me think they are doing those too films together.

This is why I don't use twitter, Hello I am the Jason of the group!

Earwolf can we green light that t-shirt already? SOLD!

• Like 3

Oh man, I would love it if HDTGM did The Frisco Kid. I know it's difficult to do comedies on the podcast (especially considering I actually like that movie), but it could easily translate to a Gene Wilder lovefest, which I would not be opposed to.

• Like 1

OR They could do The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, which is crazier, has musical numbers, and is available on Youtube (plus I haven't actually seen it)....

• Like 1

I was watching "The Neon Demon" and theres one scene that reminded me of "Gods Of Egypt" golden blood lol

I was watching "The Neon Demon" and theres one scene that reminded me of "Gods Of Egypt" golden blood lol

I think I hated that film. It was like watching a high end commercial that was selling nothing. Like when a car company goes nuts during the Superbowl and gets Scorsese to direct a minute long ad -- that's exactly what it felt like, but with no product. Refn has shown us before that he can make these incredibly striking images; okay, so what? There was nothing behind that. No characters, barely a plot, and ultimately saying nothing about anything. I mean, beyond the incredibly obvious. Everything was so literally literal.

I think Refn is a super interesting director and talented, but he needs to work with a writer if he's going to keep pushing this style. His stuff has been getting abstract in a way that I find really distracting and irritating, because I don't feel like I have any ground underneath me when I watch something like Neon Demon. It's like this beautiful crystalline structure with no support. I know "style over substance" is a cliche criticism but I think it really applies to his last two films.

• Like 1

Taylor Anne! If you're looking for something to listen to while you wait, Nicole Byer is on this week's Another Round and she is funny as hell.

Good suggestion! I watched her MTV show last night and was dying the entire time. I love her so much!

• Like 1

Just wanted to pop in to say hey everyone. I was working on a project over the summer that ate up all of my time and sucked to work on. However, about the same time that I finished the project my company blocked earwolf.com on whole (today I am working from home).

PS Congratulations Cameron!

• Like 4

firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr Wow! You really knocked it out of the park with all those posters! (In the "Home Run" way, not the "Foul ball" way)

• Like 2

Oh I have a semi-fun thing we can all talk about before the new episode!

What about everyone's top 5 2016 movies so far?

Mine are as follows

1. The Invitation

2. Captain Fantastic

3. Hell or High Water

4. Cap. America Civil War

5. Deadpool

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Oh I have a semi-fun thing we can all talk about before the new episode!

What about everyone's top 5 2016 movies so far?

Mine are as follows

1. The Invitation

2. Captain Fantastic

3. Hell or High Water

4. Cap. America Civil War

5. Deadpool

Here's mine

1. Captain America: Civil War

2. Deadpool

3. Midnight Special

4. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

5. Popstar: Never Stop Stopping

(*Edit* Bonus Pick! 6. The Secret Life of Pets)

• Like 5

My top 5 movies of 2016 list would just be called "5 movies that I have seen from 2016 that aren't Sharknado 4"

• Like 4

1. Zootopia

2. Deadpool

3. Ghostbusters

4. The Wailing

5. The Lobster

Honorable mention: The Jungle Book

This list will probably change after I watch Kubo.

• Like 5

My top 5 movies of 2016 list would just be called "5 movies that I have seen from 2016 that aren't Sharknado 4"

Kind of sounds like I'm in the same boat...

Of what I have seen, I can't really say I'm passionate about any of it. I guess my list would be something like:

1) Zootopia

2) Captain America

3) Deadpool

4) Jungle Book

I guess I could include either Gods of Egypt or Batman v Superman as number five but...

nope.gif

ETA: I just remembered, maybe a page ago I said I saw The Huntsman. So I guess that's my number five--a movie so forgettable that it completely slipped my mind that I just saw it last week...

• Like 3

Well for those of you who can't get out to the theaters as often I highly recommend The Invitation. It's on Netflix and it's literally my favorite movie at the moment. I haven't been able to stop talking about it.

• Like 4

Ok, so I looked at what I have seen that has a 2016 release date and

1. Deadpool

2. Fundamentals of Caring

3. 10 Cloverfield Lane

4. Pee-wee's Big Holiday

5. Special Correspondents

3 of those were released via Netflix and a few halfway decent movies could give me an entirely different list. Funny enough I probably will watch about a total of 200 movies in 2016 (Netflix, on demand, etc.), just very few of them will be from 2016.

I wonder if I have listened to 5 albums from 2016 yet, I doubt it.

• Like 5

4. The Wailing

5. The Lobster

The Wailing is great! On my list too. People who love a good old CRAZY horror movie should seek it out. It's gonzo in the way that South Korea seems to have nailed over the last several years. Aside from that one, my other 2016 picks would be:

The Lobster

High Rise (naked Tom Hiddleston, y'all. Luke Evans is also terrific.)

Krisha (indie family drama about a shitty alcoholic mother; sympathetic and authentic -- it doesn't excuse or villify the lead's behavior.)

Green Room (that belly getting sliced is the movie moment of the year, for me.)

Midnight Special disappointed me, but I maybe had too high expectations for it. The Invitation had great writing and excellent blocking in its tiny location, but I found a couple of the performances lacking. Karen Kusayama is a force to be reckoned with.

Ha! I gave up trying to stay current musically shortly after I hit 30. Nowadays Pitchfork may as well be in a foreign language (the fuck is vaporwave or Ramones-core).

• Like 4

My top

1. Lemonade

2. Lemonade

3. Lemonade

4. Lemonade

5. Lemonade

My friend just convinced me of Lemonade actually being a 2016 feature do to its length and narrative so fuck it it just pushed itself into my top 5 movies as well.

• Like 2