🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 2 - Kristin Chenoweth: My Shot

Kristin Chenoweth (Wicked) does not throw away her shot in life and career, and definitely not in this episode. She talks about the timelessness of some of the show's themes, shares what it's like, on a personal level, when originating cast members pass on the baton, and tells her secret goal of making a rap opera. Also, Lin, if you're looking for a new Hamilton, Kristin throws her hat into the ring.

Uh no I didn't almost start crying listening to those kids sing The Schuyler Sisters......

• Like 2

Another fantastic episode! I've loved Kristen Chenoweth since Pushing Daisies. She is so fantastic in everything she does.

I really enjoyed their discussion, particularly their talk about how Hamilton has become a gateway to a world of musical theater and history--at least, it certainly has been that for me. It isn't that I was ever opposed to the idea of Musicals, but it wasn't something that I ever really gravitated toward. However, after listening to Hamilton, I have been doing my best to seek out this wonderful treasure trove of material that I have been unknowingly depriving myself of--including Wicked. It has also inspired me to read more historical biographies--my first being, of course, Chernow's biography of Hamilton. Listening to this episode also reminded me of an anecdote from the book which I feel says a lot about Hamilton, the man, and the genius of Miranda.

In the book, Chernow recounts a possibly apocryphal story regarding an event that occurred the night before the duel. The story states that Hamilton couldn't sleep that night, (apparently Burr had no such trouble) and as he restlessly wondered his house, he heard a voice coming from a room. He entered the room, and found a young boy that he and Eliza had adopted. He asked the boy what was the matter, and the boy told him he was troubled or scared. The story goes on to say that Hamilton then climbed into bed with this young child, held his hands, and recited the Lord's Prayer with him. He then stayed their with the boy and held him through the night.

It was such a wonderful story, and it's the first time in my life that a historical anecdote has ever brought me close to tears. Of course, Miranda read this same story when he read the book. And although its validity is questionable, his pursuit of telling the emotional Truth in his musical would have totally justified his adapting this beautiful moment. It paints his protagonist in an almost unrealistically fine light, and it ties together the thematic narrative of Hamilton as the unloved orphan. A lesser writer wouldn't have been able to resist the urge to include this moment, but that is the genius of Miranda--it's as much what he didn't include as much as what he did. He probably knew, as much as he might have liked to include this scene, and even if was 100% historically accurate, it would have taken the viewer out of the show. Also, it would have almost seemed like it was an attempt to deify Hamilton and demonize Burr--which I think would have been antithetical to what he was trying to convey in the show.

• Like 3

Cameron H, I love people who are just discovering their love for musicals and could literally talk to you about this forever and suggest musicals forever (I mean if you want that, message me, lol) but I feel like I NEED to tell you, if you liked the history aspect of Hamilton you should definitely listen to Assassins by Stephen Sondheim. It's my favorite musical, and also a favorite of Rachel Bloom, Daniel O'Brien and PFT.

Okay, plug over. I love this show too much. I had to hold back tears when Kristin walked in the office.

• Like 3

Cameron H, I love people who are just discovering their love for musicals and could literally talk to you about this forever and suggest musicals forever (I mean if you want that, message me, lol) but I feel like I NEED to tell you, if you liked the history aspect of Hamilton you should definitely listen to Assassins by Stephen Sondheim. It's my favorite musical, and also a favorite of Rachel Bloom, Daniel O'Brien and PFT.

Okay, plug over. I love this show too much. I had to hold back tears when Kristin walked in the office.

Thanks, Shannon! I just bought Assassins and look forward to listening to it later today! I didn't read the plot, but the synopsis sounds amazing.

I would kindly take any and all recommendations you might have. There's just so much to choose from, I don't really know where to start. I mean, there are Musicals I've already seen or heard of, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're any good, y'know?

To give you some idea of where I'm at, since first being infected with an acute case of Hamiltoma, I have bought the cast recordings for In the Heights (Which I could talk about all day! "Blackout" still does it to me every time.), Wicked, The Book of Mormon, 21 Chump Street, and 1776. I have also bought West Side Story, The Wiz, Oliver!, Fiddler on the Roof, Cabaret, and Singin' in the Rain on Amazon Prime.

I know that there are gems out there that I'm missing out on; so please, if you have any more suggestions, please let me know!

ETA: I don't even know what I'd do if I ever met Kristin Chenoweth...I mean, besides trip over my tongue and look like an idiot. She's amazing!

• Like 1

Thanks, Shannon! I just bought Assassins and look forward to listening to it later today! I didn't read the plot, but the synopsis sounds amazing.

I would kindly take any and all recommendations you might have. There's just so much to choose from, I don't really know where to start. I mean, there are Musicals I've already seen or heard of, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're any good, y'know?

To give you some idea of where I'm at, since first being infected with an acute case of Hamiltoma, I have bought the cast recordings for In the Heights (Which I could talk about all day! "Blackout" still does it to me every time.), Wicked, The Book of Mormon, 21 Chump Street, and 1776. I have also bought West Side Story, The Wiz, Oliver!, Fiddler on the Roof, Cabaret, and Singin' in the Rain on Amazon Prime.

I know that there are gems out there that I'm missing out on; so please, if you have any more suggestions, please let me know!

ETA: I don't even know what I'd do if I ever met Kristin Chenoweth...I mean, besides trip over my tongue and look like an idiot. She's amazing!

Not really similar to Hamilton at all, but I would recommend the 10th anniversary recording of Les Mis. It started my love for musicals

• Like 2

Not really similar to Hamilton at all, but I would recommend the 10th anniversary recording of Les Mis. It started my love for musicals

Wow! Thanks, Bartlet! I appreciate it! If you or anyone else have suggestions, they certainly don't have to be like Hamilton. If someone tells me it's good, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for pointing me for the right direction for the preferred version as well. :)

Wow! Thanks, Bartlet! I appreciate it! If you or anyone else have suggestions, they certainly don't have to be like Hamilton. If someone tells me it's good, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for pointing me for the right direction for the preferred version as well. :)/>

Sweeney Todd is another favorite of mine.

• Like 1

I am arriving late to the musical recommendations corner but I have to throw out Waitress, Allegiance, and The Color Purple.

Also I was never a huuuge fan of Les Mis but I swear Samantha Barks singing "On My Own" brings me to tears every. damn. time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEkErGUjCU

(Shannon I'm gonna need to know every little detail about Kristin)

• Like 1

Cameron H, I'm not sure how no one has recommended Rent, but it is a must. The original cast recording came out when I was a freshman in high school, and I was a theatre kid, so it has a special place in my heart. Regardless, I think it is one of the greatest musicals ever written. Before Hamilton it was my hands down favorite. If you don't fall head over heals in love with Angel and or Collins (I'm down stairs) you might be a sociopath.

Apropos of nothing, long time listener (going back to the Indie 103 days) and first time poster. It took me months to get approved for the boards.

The Drowsy Chaperone is a fantastic throwback to 20's musicals and a great metamusical at that. Definitely seek out the cast album. I also really like 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, but there are things the cast recording doesn't have, like the audience participation, you might want to go look at videos of the show on Youtube, like high school performances, to get an idea.

If you like South Park, The Book of Mormon is an easy recommend. Chicago is a great one too. If you like Wicked, go check out Pippin, same composer and lyricist. Closing out my recommendation I'll leave with Urinetown. Yes, it's an awful title.

Sign in to follow this