🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan L

BBC Culture's 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century [so far]

Here's the link to the list.

What do you all think of the list? Anything look out of place? It looks like the highest film to be considered thus far is Pan's Labyrinth at #17! One of Amy's favorites is at #20.

I'd also note that after Spirited Away at #4, the remaining animated films are all Pixar, with WALL-E being the highest ranked (which I highly recommend to be considered for the Canon).

Good list, but I thought Amy's and Devin's ballots were really interesting, and they both got to do write-ups for films in the top 25, which is super neat. I'd also make one correction and say that There Will Be Blood is the highest ranked that we've considered, and that got in.

At any rate, I'd love to do episodes for, frankly, any film in the top fifty or so--Zodiac, In the Mood for Love, and City of God most of all.

• Like 1

I feel like Mulholland Drives ranking is kind of insane but that's just me.

I feel like Mulholland Drives ranking is kind of insane but that's just me.

That film has been through a reckoning/reconsideration in recent years that escapes me. It's a great film, for sure, but it seems to have been elevated to Lynch's best (which it is not). I've heard more people speak with reverence about Mulholland Drive in the last year than any time since its release.

Numerical rankings are dumb, of course. Still an excellent list and I'm happy to see Amy and Devin's contributions. I lean much more towards Amy's taste and totally agree with her top pick of Synecdoche, New York.

• Like 1

Mulholland Drive is an inside joke between critics and movie snobs to make casual moviegoers feel stupid.

That said, I don't see the need for a best-of-the-century list only 15 years into the century.

Tree of Life at #7.

OK....

Good thing I don't take these kindsa lists seriously. Somehow, whether they're uber-critically-tilted or uber-pop-tilted, they never fail to go way over the rails. No, I don't think The Dark Knight is one of the greatest films of the last twenty years. I also don't think Mulholland Drive is one of the best. What is? I don't know, but neither of those.

Honestly, I could buy almost all of these films being in the Top 100. But I can't hardly buy any of them in the Top Ten. Whatever that means. Sure, #4, #21, #73, #87, and #95 are all personal favorites. But even they I don't necessarily see as Top Ten. OK, maybe the first two.

I guess I'm against the idea of any kind of list. It's hard enough making my own Top Ten (I don't currently have one, and haven't for about a decade), but limiting to films I've seen maybe once or twice? Just impossible.

I lean much more towards Amy's taste and totally agree with her top pick of Synecdoche, New York.

Not only do I also agree, but I also propose a future Canon episode with Alonso Duralde, who is also on the list and apparently also had it at #1 (bonus "also"s: he's shown up on plenty of online shows/podcasts, and is LA-based).

re: Amy and Devin's lists

I find myself leaning heavily more towards Amy's; Devin's gave me a few headscratchers (note: not Spider-man 2, that thing is a classic). On Amy, I know Eternal Sunshine will get its day in the sun and focus of a Canon episode (and will undoubtedly be admitted in a landslide), but I'm happy to see personal favorites like Her and Tropic Thunder there. I'd love to see either nominated for consideration to The Canon.

• Like 1

I realize this could be a controversial opinion: The thing that makes me happiest about this list is the lack of Tarantino worship. No Django and no Hateful Eight. I'm surprised that Kill Bill Vol. 1 isn't on there, since IMO that's probably his "best directed" movie, and can live with Inglorious making it because I think QT stumbled onto something really interesting with that (key phrase: stumbled onto).

I love both Amy and Devin, I literally feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever they (or most any other critic, and my own friends) discuss QT's later work. Am I alone in thinking he's become a perverse parody of himself, and his last two films were not just bad but downright embarrassing for a man who's made IMO one of the ten best films ever in Pulp?

On a more positive note, while I can't find Amy's list even after Googling "Amy Nicholson's Top 10 of 21st Century" (link please?), I think Devin's is very interesting and am THRILLED with two personal favorites Zodiac and Inside Llewyn Davis being his top two.

The only exclusion I'm a little surprised by after a cursory look at the list is Gravity.

On a more positive note, while I can't find Amy's list even after Googling "Amy Nicholson's Top 10 of 21st Century" (link please?), I think Devin's is very interesting and am THRILLED with two personal favorites Zodiac and Inside Llewyn Davis being his top two.

All of the critics who submitted are linked at the end of the article. Then you can just control-F for her name.

Zodiac vs Synecdoche New York for episode 100! that would be a truly passionate debate and these two films are TIED in my rankings (both within the top 10)

• Like 1

All of the critics who submitted are linked at the end of the article. Then you can just control-F for her name.

Thanks, though this had the unfortunate consequence of seeing Amy's listing Django as her #3 :unsure: .

48. Brooklyn (John Crowley, 2015)

Really? Is it that good? I haven't seen it yet.

I surprisingly wasn't able to find a list already on letterboxd, so I made one in case anyone was interested.

http://letterboxd.co...e-21st-century/

Edit: I just found several lists when looking at the bottoms of some of the films' pages. I swear, none of them showed up when I searched for it.

Sign in to follow this