🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
BhamDave

Doctor Detroit (1983)

Doctor (Woot! Woot!), Doctor Detroit!

That chant is all I remember from that movie.

That and Detrioit's "Crime Boss" was an overweight white lady.

Gloriously awful!

When I was a stupid kid, I saw this stupid movie probably before I was of an appropriate age to watch a movie of this stupidity. I had a blazer for dressy occasions and would wear it around and yell, "I'm Doctor Detroit!" Idiot.

HDTGM, cover this one to help me with my shame.

• Like 2

When I was a stupid kid, I saw this stupid movie probably before I was of an appropriate age to watch a movie of this stupidity. I had a blazer for dressy occasions and would wear it around and yell, "I'm Doctor Detroit!" Idiot.

HDTGM, cover this one to help me with my shame.

Can anyone imagine there kids dressing up and doing that? We have all dressed up as stupid movie characters.

This movie needs to be done because it needs to be shown that Dan Ackroyd was painfully unfunny and terrible long before Nothing But Trouble. Doctor Detroit was also clearly sold on 'Dan Ackroyd will play crazy characters and wear crazy outfits and audiences will love it'; it's basically his version of an Ernest movie.

This was one of my earliest experiences with a bad movie. I remember watching it with my dad who was loudly complaining about how awful, tacky, and plain unfunny it was. I think that might have been when I realized that movies could actually be bad; you'd think Disney's Black Hole -- the first movie I ever saw -- would have convinced me of that.

Has Dan Aykroyd ever done anything on his own that was funny, or at least not outright terrible? His best work was always as a straight man or foil to other characters.

• Like 4

His best work was always as a straight man or foil to other characters.

So accurate. I just tried proving this false by looking through his IMDB page and every example I came across came with a partner or ensemble setup...or he was a minor character and not necessarily funny (but good a la Driving Miss Daisy, Twilight Zone, etc).

Watched this movie for the first time about 4 months ago and all I could think whilst watching it was, this is perfect for HDTGM

Would love to hear what they all think of it and I am sure Jason would be loving it

• Like 1

Adding my significant support to this film.

From the writer of Jaws and The Jerk, and the director of TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze: a college professor pretends to be a pimp, and is helped by prostitutes in an attempt to save his bankrupt college.

Brilliant.