🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 442 - Atlantis Dire Warning

Our old friend Ming joins Scott as the co-host of this week's Comedy Bang! Bang! Scott and Ming catch up as they chat about Ming's background, the history of the amber alert, and some jokes Ming has thought of in his spare time. Then, a new guest by the name of Neptuna arrives all the way from the lost city of Atlantis with a dire warning for humanity. Later, Dalton Wilcox, the self-proclaimed "Poet Laureate of the West" returns with a new poem for listeners to add to his book You Must Buy Your Wife at Least as Much Jewelry as You Buy Your Horse and Other Poems and Observations, Humorous and Otherwise, from a Life on the Range.

Come see us at the Now Hear This podcast festival: nowhearthisfest.com

• Like 4

No offense to the other guests but knowing that I'd be missing a bunch of in-jokes from earlier in the show is the only reason I won't immediately skip straight to Dalton Wilcox.

Although, I should probably hear that warning. I'm pretty near the Atlantic coast, afterall.

• Like 1

I actually do take offense. You can just go and roll on out of here.

• Like 7

oh you'll want to hear the warning bumpy

• Like 5

is it ok to reply in this thread without a Star Wars avatar?

• Like 3

Guys don't skip a thing on this ep. The whole thing is AU - gold!

Jeremy Rowley's Ming might not be the most flamboyant character, but holy moly can he "yes and" with Scott and his digressions.

Andy Daly is a god! I couldn't stop laughing when he did the Neptuna voice.

And got danged, Dalton Wilcox brings up his pilot podcast! (What with Review being done and Matt Gourley winding down to only about 5 podcasts, can we get a second season of the ADPPP?)

[edit] as always- http://earwolf.com/dalton/

• Like 8

I liked when Scott was worried about the offensiveness of talking about why vampires don't get AIDS, while talking to Ming about how Magic Johnson is like Blacula.

• Like 5

I'm glad Scott has the courage and fortitude to defend our noble candidate time and again.

• Like 4

Ming might be my all-time favorite CBB character. This episode is the first in a long time that had me ROFLMAOing my ass off, all over the floor.

• Like 6

Listening to this tonight, but question for y'all: Is the previous appearance of Ming worth listening to? I tend to skip episodes with names I don't recognize and prioritize fan / personal favorite episodes, and get to the other ones as part of my backlog if I can. I'm assuming I can listen to this first either way. :)

Listening to this tonight, but question for y'all: Is the previous appearance of Ming worth listening to? I tend to skip episodes with names I don't recognize and prioritize fan / personal favorite episodes, and get to the other ones as part of my backlog if I can. I'm assuming I can listen to this first either way. :)

I feel like the nature of CBB is that it builds on itself whether or not the same characters appear. By skipping around, you are inevitably missing the origins of several bits that will be called backed on. The evolution of Scott's BitBrain is one of the amazing aspects of the show, in my opinion. So yes, you will miss out on some jokes because you skip around. You will also continue to miss incredible characters and bits as long as you only listen to the tried and true guests.

• Like 7

I think I made it about 10 seconds into the Neptuna bit before the people in my office asked why I started weeping so suddenly. If there's a Kickstarter/Gofundme aiming to have an Andy Daly statue constructed, I'm willing to throw some clams towards it.

• Like 7

I don't get Ming at all. Is the joke merely that it's a white guy using a stilted Chinese accent?

Daly's gargling Atlantean was difficult to listen to, and I was worried he'd accidentally drown himself, but as usual, he ended up destroying. Man, I miss the ADPPP.

• Like 1

I don't understand people who don't like Ming. I cant even keep track of all the other characters that have been on here and were just a voice with no background.. Personally I fucking love Ming he fucking nails it. Daly is always a winner on here so the two on one show is just fucking c+ Great great ep!

• Like 3

When you're a cowboy poet making sweet love to the wind, all winds are Chicago style because the sauce is on top.

• Like 1

I don't get Ming at all. Is the joke merely that it's a white guy using a stilted Chinese accent?

Well, there was a hook to his character in his first appearance which they touched on in the intro here; they probably just decided that it didn't work that great but the character was funny anyway. I actually think it's even funnier (mostly because it's just so weird) that he's doing an accent and there's nothing else inherently foreign about the character. The idea that he came here to escape gambling debts, and Scott suckering him into a bet, was really funny.

Anyway, good ep. The vocal performance alone made Neptuna pretty amazing.

• Like 3

I don't understand how this ming guy is supposed to be a character? I live in a predominatnt asian based culture and im not hearing a joke, just a spot on accent of a chineese or vietnamese man, there's not much eggaerated here so the only thing left that could be funny is the accent itself and little bit of light improv banter?

Tito ben works because Eugene is filipino and he's getting lots of layers of filipino culture in his humor, along with the fact that yes, tito ben and the filipino accent sounds silly to the white folk. But again he's filipino and has the right to poke fun of himself and his own culture.

This is at worst, maybe... mildly offensive but im just gonna say, whats the point in treading in something borderline racist like turing a culture into a punchline, if your not gonna make me bust up at the seams.

( been listening for like 7 years, never felt the need to chime in like this )

<3 JoshRulz

Edited by joshrulz
  • Like 3

I don't understand how this ming guy is supposed to be a character? I live in a predominatnt asian based culture and im not hearing a joke, just a spot on accent of a chineese or vietnamese man, there's not much eggaerated here so the only thing left that could be funny is the accent itself and little bit of light improv banter?

Tito ben works because Eugene is filipino and he's getting lots of layers of filipino culture in his humor, along with the fact that yes, tito ben and the filipino accent sounds silly to the white folk. But again he's filipino and has the right to poke fun of himself and his own culture.

This is at worst, maybe... mildly offensive but im just gonna say, whats the point in treading in something borderline racist like turing a culture into a punchline, if your not gonna make me bust up at the seams.

( been listening for like 7 years, never felt the need to chime in like this )

<3 JoshRulz

Is this ol' sourpuss, Brian Eno???

• Like 5

Maybe i'm crazy but Ming sounds like a Dutch accent. I think it's a funny character, just tough to dance around the elephant in the room...

It can be funny in the context of everyone agreeing its blatantly awkward. *cough* tommy middle D

https://youtu.be/xRSwrSp-Q-s

• Like 3

Now THATS funny!

I aint against racial jokes ( rembmer like that one time Wyatt Cenac got super pissed? )

I'm just sayin if your gonna do it, you need some context, like this example given, where being obviously horrible and over the top was a nod to the awful nature of the joke. I can't see the humor of a guy doing 2 full episodes being midly asian.

Also no , this is no ol' sourpuss, im little button puss. B====D - - - -

Maybe i'm crazy but Ming sounds like a Dutch accent. I think it's a funny character, just tough to dance around the elephant in the room...

It can be funny in the context of everyone agreeing its blatantly awkward. *cough* tommy middle D

• Like 1

Yeah I think Tommy Middle D's thing works partially because it makes everyone feel so uncomfortable and in the past he's used it as a way to play with the accent. But I don't feel like the context for Ming's has that complexity and Ming is a traditionally Chinese name (I have several relatives named Ming).

That said I love the sequel to the Lonesome Cowboy.

• Like 2