🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaBrown

Blaxploitation

You guys haven't done any films from this genre, which is a shame because its influence looms large on African American filmmakers, Tarantino, and hip-hop culture.

The obvious contenders:

SHAFT - the theme song alone is canon worthy

SWEET SWEETBACK BADASSSSS SONG- actually, this would make a great versus episode between it and SHAFT since they both came out the same year and arguably the ones that kickstarted the genre. Plus, you avoid the icky politics of white guys profiting over these films since they are the ones that were actually directed by African-American filmmakers

or you could pick a Pam Grier film (Coffy or Foxy Brown) and have it square off against Shaft

If you want to be obscure but worthy

THE SPOOK WHO SAT BY THE DOOR. Its on Youtube for free

Cotton Comes to Harlem would be my pick. A great film in its own right, with more nuance than you'd expect.

Black Caesar is quintessential as well, probably Fred Williamson's best, and a standout in the genre.

Monkey Hustle is formulaic but has some good performances, as well as mainstay Rudy Ray Moore in a (thankfully) non-leading role.

Indulgence choice would be Cleopatra Jones.

Shaft is actually just an okay film, although Isaac Hayes' music is incredible. He is so underrated outside of crate diggers and soul-jazz aficionados.

CW: N-Word

Legend of Nigger Charley and Boss Nigger would be very awkward but I think are super deserving

Also Superfly, duh. Curtis Mayfield > anybody.

• Like 1

Anything that gets Pam Grier into The Canon has my vote.

Also, LGBT filmmaker and B-Movie maven Lola Rocknrolla would be an excellent guest for this specific topic.

I had college classes with Lola a long time ago -- funny, hard working lady. Three white people talking about blaxploitation without another perspective kind of gives me a rash though.

I suggested a Superfly v. Shaft episode way back when. I still think it's a good idea.

I also agree that Curtis Mayfield > Isaac Hayes.

Sign in to follow this