🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DavidRosen

South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut Vs Team America: World Police

Sorry if these had been suggested before, just started listening recently and love the show. These two movies I think go hand in hand being Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They're also both classics and two of the funniest movies of the last 20 years. Personally I think I'd have to side with Team America but they're both amazing.

• Like 2

I recently revisited all of South Park, which was so ahead of its time on a million things, and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut is maybe the pinnacle of what Stone and Parker could do with that world. It's a terrific film, regardless of the show it's based on, and would be a better contender for a big screen adaptation of a television show than, say, Mission: Impossible.

I actually didn't like the show (probably as a reaction to how overly popular it was) until the movie. After the movie I became a fan of the show and everything Trey & Matt do.

Their movies and musicals are far better than South Park the television show. There's individual episodes that stand out but I'm not sure why it has to continue on decades later.

I know this podcast is heavily Gen X/Millenial but I'd rather hear some other, older comedy get discussed. Everyone has seen and loves South Park but of that audience, I wonder who has seen Bringing Up Baby or The Thin Man?

• Like 1

I actually didn't like the show (probably as a reaction to how overly popular it was) until the movie. After the movie I became a fan of the show and everything Trey & Matt do.

You know what though? The show wasn't doing much of anything interesting until after the movie anyway. There are a couple of good episodes beforehand, but it definitely needed time to mature.

• Like 1

I know this podcast is heavily Gen X/Millenial but I'd rather hear some other, older comedy get discussed. Everyone has seen and loves South Park but of that audience, I wonder who has seen Bringing Up Baby or The Thin Man?

Oh I'm not suggesting not doing movies like those, but hopefully the podcast continues for a long time and there's room for both :-)

I'm also looking forward to a few years down the road when we can discuss films from this decade.

Their movies and musicals are far better than South Park the television show. There's individual episodes that stand out but I'm not sure why it has to continue on decades later.

Seen 'em both, but my 30s comedy choice would be My Man Godfrey. I have no idea what the "in" would be, but it's pretty damn timeless: Life at the top vs life at the bottom, mocking the rich while wallowing in their luxury, the over-qualified servant, two strong romantic protagonists, well-paced and very snappy, and probably Carole Lombard's best role. There are enough similarities with Bringing Up Baby, you COULD do a good versus, it you wanted to be so cruel.

We just need more 30s movies in general:

- Only Angels Have Wings (one of the most perfect Golden Age Hollywood-type films)

- Lost Horizon (a film missing about ten minutes of footage, but still great)

- The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) (probably not gonna happen after Robin Hood and Gunga Din)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this