🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Muthsarah

Gosford Park

1. This movie was previously mentioned in passing in my Indulgences thread. And both Devin and Amy got their indulgence picks in. I figure I'm next. This is my favorite movie of the 2000s (2010s still pending, but, for the record, Grand Budapest has the inside track, and that's already in).

2. No Altman movies yet? Seriously? Sure, we still have Hitchcock, and Kurosawa, and a good Kubrick, and Tarkovsky....lots of others....And we could do Nashville, for a more of-the-time example of his greatest works, but I have my personal favorite. Pimps gotta pimp.

How about a 2002 movie from one of the quintessential 1970s filmmakers? ...Which means he was around for a while, and straddled many eras.

How about a movie that launched a very successful TV series? No, not Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Downton Abbey, just in case that isn't common knowledge. I can't assume anything.

How about a movie original, a 21st-century take on 1930s fiction, starring some of the best British actors of the whole second half of the 20th century. It's almost a mini-lesson in film history. And it's one of the damn classiest movies ever, but one that has a LOT to say about its era - a deconstruction of murder mysteries, upstairs/downstairs politics, and basically all the period stuff that makes up half of the media Britain exports these days. With dialogue. Oodles and oodles of it.

It's an incredibly THICK and DENSE movie, but clocks in at barely two hours. If you like any Agatha Christie, or Holmes (old or new), or just ensemble films in general, it's a must-see. And if you like Downton Abbey, but haven't seen this....Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Long shot, I'm sure, but here are the links:

Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...ds=gosford+park

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-poyFUXMQ

iTunes, Vudu, and Google Play all have them as well. But they're too newfangled for me.

Sign in to follow this