🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Lisa Kudrow raps about the power of her purse, which then gains the attraction of Damon Wayans. I blame my infertility on this movie.

This really, really needs to be done. This movie is so utterly wrong-headed that it's astounding.

This film was also directed by Richard Benjamin, who also has his fair share of crappy stuff like Milk Money, City Heat, Mrs. Winterbourne, Made in America and My Stepmother is an Alien, plus he also costars in the film playing Lisa Kudrow's father! Another interesting thing about Marci X is that the movie was filmed in 2000, but didn't come out for another three years, and the rating for the film on IMDb is a 2.6 out of 10, I mean that's nearly Bottom 100 level!

the rating for the film on IMDb is a 2.6 out of 10, I mean that's nearly Bottom 100 level!

It's actually been on the Bottom 100 sometimes.

I love the only bit of trivia on the IMDb page:

Chris Rock was offered the part of Dr. S but turned it down. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Rock said "It's the worst script I've ever gotten... I'd have been happier getting an envelope full of anthrax."

Don't know if either he or Damon Wayans would be willing to talk about the movie... but it'd be awesome if they did.

• Like 1

OH. SWEET. GOD!

It's a movie about two worlds clashing by someone who understands neither world.

At the Wayans family barbeques, this and "Little Man" get clowned on extensively, I bet.

At the Wayans family barbeques, this and "Little Man" get clowned on extensively, I bet.

I wouldn't narrow it down to JUST those two, as every Wayans has something as equally bad. Damon's got this, Shawn and Marlon have "Little Man" and "White Chicks", and Keenan's got "Glimmer Man" and that "Most Wanted" thing where they were trying to push him as a dramatic action hero. All of the Wayans' have a different kind of terrible that they bring to the table!

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this movie and saw the IMDB rating was a 2.8 out of 10 and was shocked. Haven't seen a rating that low in a long time. Then I read the description and this was the very first sentence: "Jewish-American Princess is forced to take control of a hard-core hip-hop record label and tries to reign in the label's most controversial rapper." OMG. I can already hear Paul, Jason, and June flipping out over this film.

i remember the look on the face of the guy working at Blockbuster when i rented this. the least he could have done was warn me I was making a bad decision instead of just starring. Only rented it because I love Lisa Kudrow and just to watch My Wife and Kids. I knew i should have got Soul Plane again.

I believe this movie may have been one of the infamous "strike projects" -  in 2001 the SAG and WGA union contracts were set to expire simultaneously, which hadn't happened in a long time. The Hollywood studios were terrified that the unions might take the opportunity of the added leverage to strike (SPOILERS - they didn't that time around), and so during the spring and summer of 2001 a BUNCH of movies got jammed into production so the studios would have a stockpile they could release in case of an extended strike. So a lot of scripts that were in....possibly iffy shape?...were suddenly getting hustled in front of cameras - "Serving Sara" with Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley and "The Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro, were also considered strike projects, if I recall correctly. 

Per IMDB trivia, this was shot in the summer of 2001, but they had to organize reshoots after September 11th because a key scene was built around a Hindenburg gag that suddenly seemed horrifying, and both Lisa Kudrow and Damon Wayans had TV commitments so it took many months to get them re-scheduled.

Sign in to follow this