🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AbeFroman

John Hughes

After listening to all the 80s films covered, would love to hear D & A tackle a Hughes film. His work in this era pretty much all defined all teenage/high school films going forward.

Even if his films are not typical "Canon" fodder, his influence is undeniable and would make for a great episode.

My vote is for Ferris, but I'm sure you can make a case for Breakfast Club.

It's interesting how your perspective changes with time. When I was younger, I wanted to be Ferris Bueller; now I watch it and think that he's kind of a shit head who deserves a comeuppance. It's a fun movie, although it's not really saying much.

The Breakfast Club is probably the quintessential film about white suburban angst from that decade. Again, now when I watch it I find myself sympathizing with the adult characters. Breakfast Club touches on some middle age weariness shared between the principal and janitor but it's not explored in depth. His films are always about the kids -- adults are basically an alien species that does not understand the ways of teenagers. In that sense I think they're a lot more nostalgic than something like Stand By Me, because they depict this totally idealized fantasy version of teenage life: they always get the cute guy/girl at the end, the adults are always dumb and lose (except for one sage character), whatever silly antics they get into are completely justified, and characters are almost always stereotypes (nerd, jock, popular blonde, etc).

Never been a John Hughes fan. Maybe when I was younger, I liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but now I can barely stomach any of his teen films. I like Planes, Trains and Automobiles well enough, but I can't imagine that being canon-worthy. Devin famously declared Ferris Bueller to be evil--and one can even find an old C.H.U.D. thread with Devin demolishing the morality of the film--and I'd loooooove to hear that episode. Otherwise, I'd much rather get a de Sica or Sturges episode long before another John Hughes film.

The only Hughes film I'd like to see an episode about would be Ferris Bueller's Day Off just to hear Devin's thoughts about what an evil character Ferris is. I used to really like that film as a kid but now I couldn't force myself to watch it again. There have already been several articles written about Ferris Bueller's psychopathic tendencies, but it would be nice to hear Devin and Amy's take on the film.

After typing that, I feel kind of bad recommending a movie just to hear people shit on it, but I can't help it. I love hearing people take a well-loved film and taking it down a few notches.

I feel like public perception against Bueller became the norm some years ago. Devin and Amy already swatted down Sixteen Candles. I hope, if they ever return to this well, they just cover The Breakfast Club or Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and let the man's work rest in peace. He was one of many creative talents who had (and defined) a decade. But his oeuvre's entirely OF that decade (not unlike his contemporary, John Landis). Not timeless, not an all-time great, but well worth a watch for anyone remotely curious about the era.

Sign in to follow this