🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
zeecheree82

The People Under the Stairs (1991)

I remember turning the channel seeing part of this with the guy in a S & M suit. My dad say "Uh Hell no!" and changing the channel. I laughed really hard since I knew what the movie was.

This is a great one. Came here to recommend it, and did a search first. An actual line of dialog: "Someday Mama I'm gonna buy you a Cadillac for each foot, and you gonna skate around town lookin SO bad!" Another one: guy jimmies open door; "I done busted this houses cherry. She's WIDE open now!"

They should definitely cover this film for Halloween episodes. It opened at #1 in American at the box office when it was released so it’s legit lol. The movie made no sense to me then, I can’t imagine how cray cray it is today lol.

I love this movie both because of and in spite of its glaring flaws. Its such a weird and creepy movie, this one definitely spooked me as a kid when I first watched it.  The actors playing the brother/sister are both fucking amazing. I also remember loving the set design of the house, it almost became its own character in terms of how much of an impact it leaves on the viewer. 

I think this would make for an amazing Halloween episode, I really hope they decide to watch this movie at some point. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

I love this movie both because of and in spite of its glaring flaws. Its such a weird and creepy movie, this one definitely spooked me as a kid when I first watched it.  The actors playing the brother/sister are both fucking amazing. I also remember loving the set design of the house, it almost became its own character in terms of how much of an impact it leaves on the viewer. 

I think this would make for an amazing Halloween episode, I really hope they decide to watch this movie at some point. 

It’s a refreshing movie for having a black hero in a horror movie in the early 90s (they talk about how the black horror-loving audience was virtually ignored in the 80s in the excellent doc Horror Noire, which is a Shudder original. This film and Candyman are mentioned for standing out during this time period). 

It’s also fucking bonkers! I hope they do it at some point.

• Like 1

Tales from the Hood is another favorite of mine from the era, great performances including a super dark turn from David Allen Grier.

• Like 3

Watched this movie this past weekend w the wife and friends. My god it’s still beyond bonkers lol. We all thought the people were more in the walls than under the stairs but that’s more a technicality lol. God I hope they do this one someday it’s so batshit crazy.

I'd love to see this movie get done, but it would even be better if the TV dubbed version could be found.  Nothing like Ving Rhames yelling "Shucks!" as a dog attacks him.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:48 PM, Greg T said:

I'd love to see this movie get done, but it would even be better if the TV dubbed version could be found.  Nothing like Ving Rhames yelling "Shucks!" as a dog attacks him.

The best dubbing for TV was Do the Right Thing. Instead of MF—which was used ALOT—they said “mickeyfickey”

This was especially memorable during the Radio Raheem “D, Mickeyfickey, D!!!!’l battery scene.

19 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

The best dubbing for TV was Do the Right Thing. Instead of MF—which was used ALOT—they said “mickeyfickey”

This was especially memorable during the Radio Raheem “D, Mickeyfickey, D!!!!’l battery scene.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, GrahamS. said:

I still say mickiefickey to this day lmao

• Like 1

The gang has to do this one.  So many missed Halloween opportunities to do this one propper.  This movie is fn nuts and it's legit cause it opened at #1 in America box office the week it debuted. Plus it's the only film I know that gives 'the gimp' proper film time lol.

I am watching Twin Peaks for the first time ever, crazy to think the leather man and crazy wife are the hubby/wife from that show lol.  I think Zooks would have a ton to say about this alone lol.

Sign in to follow this