🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 144 - Stealth

The computer is hit by lightning, and it has learning capability. Also, Lenny Von Dohlen spilled champagne on it while Virginia Madsen was playing the cello. I mean, there were multiple reasons for EDI to go strange. Still, the only way to win is not to stealth.

I mentioned in the music thread that I love Incubus unironically, but honestly, I can't defend that love. In 2005 they were my favorite band. In 2016 they are not my favorite band despite having a special place in my heart. Although "Morning View" is maybe one of the few albums that I revisit on a weekly basis.

Like Taylor I like Incubus, though only a select number of songs like "Pardon Me" which is just fantastic along with "Anna Molly." Unfortunately, "Make a Move" has a horrible chorus and goes on for a bit too long, which is only worse by it being played constantly in this movie.

Omissions/questions:

When they mention that EDI is downloading all of the songs ever, does that just mean major releases or does it include countless indie and self releases? Also since this is in the near future and with the growth of musicians using sites like Youtube to get their music out to the masses, are those included? Because if that is the case then that is MILLIONS of songs and that would equal out to Peta if not Exabytes of data, way more than even the most advanced artificial intelligence could presumably hold, not to mention having to retain basic and advanced information of flying, combat scenarios and maneuvers, and whatever it learns from observing its human counterparts. Another thing concerning the prime number situation, I was hoping the sequels could cover the new teams that feature 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, 113, 127, 131, 137, 139, 149, 151, 157, 163, 167, 173, 179, 181, 191, 193, 197, 199, 211, 223, 227, 229, 233, 239, 241, 251, 257, 263, 269, 271, 277, 281, 283, 293, 307, 311, 313, 317, 331, 337, 347, 349, 353, 359, 367, 373, 379, 383, 389, 397, 401, 409, 419, 421, 431, 433, 439, 443, 449, 457, 461, 463, 467, 479, 487, 491, 499, 503, 509, 521, 523, 541, 547, 557, 563, 569, 571, 577, 587, 593, 599, 601, 607, 613, 617, 619, 631, 641, 643, 647, 653, 659, and 661 members, because those prime number teams should be AMAZING.

As for the mention of bad movies from 1985 not having been covered yet, firsttimecaller was correct in that there have been ones covered for that year (Gymkata, Perfect, and A View to a Kill), though there are some great one still to be covered from that year like Defcon 4, Howling 2: Stirba - Werewolf Bitch, Ewoks: Battle For Endor, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, and Return to Oz. With 1981 being the actual year that hasn't been covered yet, here are a couple possibilities I think that Paul might choose since he said he had a possible selection: The Devil and Max Devlin, Condorman, Graduation Day, and Evilspeak.

• Like 3

Like Taylor I like Incubus, though only a select number of songs like "Pardon Me" which is just fantastic along with "Anna Molly." Unfortunately, "Make a Move" has a horrible chorus and goes on for a bit too long, which is only worse by it being played constantly in this movie.

Yay I have Incubus friends! Personally, Miss You is my favorite song. Also I do a pretty damn good cover of Pardon Me that I wish I had recorded when I was still with my college boyfriend cause he was my guitar guy lol.

Make a Move is genuinely not a great song and it sounds like they wrote a melody around some lyrics that were handed to them by the movie studio.

So I know EDI learned to ignore orders by observing Josh Lucas. I think he picked up some of Jamie Foxx's creepy sexual predator vibe too. Foxx's line about women kneeling down to him and EDI's violent, non-consensual midair refueling scene seemed like they came out of the same playbook. After all, they are both "Extreme Deep Invaders."

Also, considering all the rapey-ness, Wizard of Oz inspired nicknames (TinMan) and the strappy buckled harnesses, I'm relatively sure there's a Zardoz connection here worth exploring.

CAS09_trending3.png20110614_miscastactors-14-jessicabiel-stealth.nocrop.w375.h670.jpg

• Like 2

So about the music I want to say two things.

1. I am not sure how to gauge a band's popularity, but was curious about whether or not Incubus is still popular. For reference they have about 5.5M likes on Facebook (and quite a few of my friends like them, not to say I have cool friends though.). For contemporary reference Limp Bizkit has 4.9M, Hoobastank has 2M and Papa Roach has 6M (But Linkin Park has 62M likes!!!!!!) where as Smash Mouth--a band that was popular and nobody wants to admit to liking now--has only 119k likes. I am not entirely sure what my point is other than at minimum people have not unliked Incubus on Facebook and rejected them en masse.

2. Dredg's Bug Eyes was played briefly and is still an fantastic song:

On a personal note, while I have been typing this up various songs from Catch Without Arms (the album with Bug Eyes) have been playing and reminding me of how much I enjoy this album. Thank you Stealth for that, I will be enjoying this album all week.

• Like 1

Yay I have Incubus friends! Personally, Miss You is my favorite song. Also I do a pretty damn good cover of Pardon Me that I wish I had recorded when I was still with my college boyfriend cause he was my guitar guy lol.

Make a Move is genuinely not a great song and it sounds like they wrote a melody around some lyrics that were handed to them by the movie studio.

For me Incubus falls in the same category as Linkin Park in that while their lyrics aren't the best from time to time, they can create a fantastic sound with the instruments used. There was an article on Cracked about how Linkin Park should basically become a studio band because their lyrics are quite cringey, especially over the last few years, but their music works well in most situations, namely when Jay-Z used them in their collaboration album.

• Like 2

1. I am not sure how to gauge a band's popularity, but was curious about whether or not Incubus is still popular. For reference they have about 5.5M likes on Facebook (and quite a few of my friends like them, not to say I have cool friends though.). For contemporary reference Limp Bizkit has 4.9M, Hoobastank has 2M and Papa Roach has 6M (But Linkin Park has 62M likes!!!!!!) where as Smash Mouth--a band that was popular and nobody wants to admit to liking now--has only 119k likes. I am not entirely sure what my point is other than at minimum people have not unliked Incubus on Facebook and rejected them en masse.

Incubus basically has enough of a following to warrant being a middle of the card act at concerts and musical festivals. Hoobastank is kind of sad in that they had some huge hits at their peak, namely "The Reason," but are now relegated to playing small bars one here in Sacramento a few years back which was pretty shocking in how far they fell. Papa Roach is in a similar boat where they can occasionally end up in the middle of a music festival card, but they are mainly staying in Northern California now, which is where they started their careers, which is not the way you want to go considering how big their first two albums were when they broke into the mainstream. Smash Mouth is a funny creature in that now that no one has cared about them since "All Star" came out, the only thing that happens concerning them is the massive trolling the lead singer receives from people who make fun of him for his biggest song coming as a result of being on the Shrek soundtrack, to which he flips the fuck out and says everyone are idiots because that song got huge after being on the Mystery Men soundtrack, which is possibly the worst brag of all time.

• Like 2

According to IMDB, "people who liked Stealth also liked..."

S.W.A.T.

Paycheck

The Core

Next

and 2006's Poseidon

So basically lunatics

People who write second opinions.

• Like 6

The last time I saw Incubus live was 3 years ago and they had just about sold out the large amphitheater down here. I think people are still very much into the music that made them popular in the late 90s but in my opinion their last good album was actually released a year after this movie. Since then they've done a "best of" album that included a ton of art done by Brandon Boyd, a new single which is fantastic, and a Prince cover that is also fantastic. However after that they released a new album that is so meh I think non-fans would point to that as the main reason they can be considered a shit band. Ugh it was not great and yet I still bought it like the completist I am.

ANYWAY, my point is I think the nostalgia of 4 great albums from 99-06 is what keeps the fans. Now I think they focus solely on art, cause I just saw that Brandon Boyd had a gallery show in LA over the summer. He's actually an amazingly talented painter.

My goodness I am ashamed at how much I still know about them...

• Like 3

Hi guys I'm new to the forum! I actually just made this account after listening to this episode.

Up until I watched the movie yesterday the only thing I'd seen of it was the ending credits on Showtime several years ago. In the chance that Paul ever reads this I'd like to inform him that not only does this film's soundtrack possess a song by the late, great Señor Bowie but also a little number entitled "Bug Eyes" by a band called Dredg. It's in the credits so I know that it doesn't totally "count" as being part of the movie but I'd recommend that you guys (and Paul) check it out because that song, along with the band that produced it are fucking awesome!

EDIT: Apparently I was beaten to the punch. Dammit.

• Like 2

The last time I saw Incubus live was 3 years ago and they had just about sold out the large amphitheater down here. I think people are still very much into the music that made them popular in the late 90s but in my opinion their last good album was actually released a year after this movie. Since then they've done a "best of" album that included a ton of art done by Brandon Boyd, a new single which is fantastic, and a Prince cover that is also fantastic. However after that they released a new album that is so meh I think non-fans would point to that as the main reason they can be considered a shit band. Ugh it was not great and yet I still bought it like the completist I am.

ANYWAY, my point is I think the nostalgia of 4 great albums from 99-06 is what keeps the fans. Now I think they focus solely on art, cause I just saw that Brandon Boyd had a gallery show in LA over the summer. He's actually an amazingly talented painter.

I'm sorry but you do kinda deserve this one.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

The forum title is incorrectly listed as episode 114 when it should be episode 144.

Fixed, thanks.

• Like 2

Hey guys, first post, I too caught up after 2 years and am finally able to participate.

Am I wrong or was there two scenes with women asking to go pee? One seemed like a weird call back to the other. Did they mention that on the podcast? I know they mentioned one pee scene.

As far as the numbers thing. I thought it was weird Josh Lucas says number 2 is lucky. Its not a lucky prime number. It made sense for Foxx to say 3 was lucky because 3 is a lucky prime number. But 2 is just a regular prime number. In number theory, a lucky number is a natural number in a set which is generated by a certain "sieve". This sieve is similar to the Sieve of Eratosthenes that generates the primes, but it eliminates numbers based on their position in the remaining set, instead of their value (or position in the initial set of natural numbers). A lucky prime is a lucky number that is prime. The first few are 3, 7, 13, 31, 37, 43, 67, 73, 79, 127, 151, 163, 193 and so on...SO 2 is a prime number (as is 1) but 3 is the first lucky prime. When Foxx called 3 the lucky prime number it made him seem like a math guy. When Josh Lucas says his thing later it reframes it to make Foxx just look like a weirdo who had a RainMan-like fixation on prime numbers.

• Like 6

Hey guys, first post, I too caught up after 2 years and am finally able to participate.

Am I wrong or was there two scenes with women asking to go pee? One seemed like a weird call back to the other. Did they mention that on the podcast? I know they mentioned one pee scene.

As far as the numbers thing. I thought it was weird Josh Lucas says number 2 is lucky. Its not a lucky prime number. It made sense for Foxx to say 3 was lucky because 3 is a lucky prime number. But 2 is just a regular prime number. In number theory, a lucky number is a natural number in a set which is generated by a certain "sieve".

The first few are 3, 7, 13, 31, 37, 43, 67, 73, 79, 127, 151, 163, 193 and so on...SO 2 is a prime number (as is 1) but 3 is the first lucky prime. When Foxx called 3 the lucky prime number it made him seem like a math guy.

Foxx also said 1 was a lucky prime number (i think it was when he was chasing EDI on his own) .... but heres the thing, its not even a prime number. According to the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic 1 cant be a prime number because its factors are not unique (1 x 1). The primes start at 2. I, i think like most other people, went through school being told 1 was a prime number so i have to correct myself from time to time.

• Like 7

He approaches his target. He takes aim. He fires!

Victory!

His shot is as true as if shot from the divine bow of Apollo himself. The cave of hostile mannequins has been obliterated. Hurray! The final test of the Talon stealth fighter is a success! They have completed their final combat exercise.

watching stealth i kept going ... thats in this movie .. and thats in this ... here's a list of some of them

- Top Gun

- Behind Enemy Lines

- Flight of the Navigator

- Hots Shots (1 & 2) .. i know thats a mickey take of the likes of top gun but some of this just made me laugh abit

- Team America

- And of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2AW88w02fQ

Forgot Star Wars .. "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters"

• Like 3

Hi guys I'm new to the forum! I actually just made this account after listening to this episode.

Up until I watched the movie yesterday the only thing I'd seen of it was the ending credits on Showtime several years ago. In the chance that Paul ever reads this I'd like to inform him that not only does this film's soundtrack possess a song by the late, great Señor Bowie but also a little number entitled "Bug Eyes" by a band called Dredg. It's in the credits so I know that it doesn't totally "count" as being part of the movie but I'd recommend that you guys (and Paul) check it out because that song, along with the band that produced it are fucking awesome!

EDIT: Apparently I was beaten to the punch. Dammit.

Hey don't fret, I am glad to have back up on dredg. If "Bug Eyes is an awesome song" is this thread's "Jim Steinman wrote the music for this movie" then I will be happy with that.

Also so it was the credits. I couldn't remember where it played in the film, for some reason I thought it played very briefly in a non-flight scene, but I was not prepared to rewatch the entire movie to figure out where it was played.

• Like 3

There is no shame in being an Incubus fan.

Hell if there was an awful movie whose soundtrack had 10 of my all time favorite songs on it and Jason ripped it to shreds and called it the shittiest music he had ever heard in his life I would probably be laughing my ass off. I would still probably come here to defend it though.

• Like 4

Wasn't it the moment when Jessica Biel pointedly tells the boys that she too is going to 'pee pee' while on vacation in Thailand? A callback that seemed to try to justify the earlier one but so long after that it just made the first reference seem isolated. Very odd.

For the sake of the power of the third reference (and the lucky prime number!) I would truly have loved if the Thai girl who was the object of Jamie Foxx's affection interrupted their travelogue date with an announcement (in Thai) that she had to pee pee. I wonder if Jamie would still find it 'nasty' then?

• Like 3

Finally, I'm so glad Charlie brought up the "Welcome to Alaska" line. Okay. I get it. It's an action movie. Whether dumb or cool, you simply can't just blow something up without having something pithy to say, but in context, "Welcome to Alaska" makes absolutely no sense. Seriously, what the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Were his foster parents from Alaska? Until a couple of hours ago, he didn't even know that place existed. He's on their turf. They're the one's from Alaska. Shouldn't that be their line? Were does he get off welcoming them to their own place?

If I remember correctly the hired goon that he blows up after saying "Welcome to Alaska" said the same thing to him as they were getting him out of the cockpit following the crash landing. So Josh Lucas was echoing it back to him. Hired goon should have been given a last line of "It doesn't make sense when you say iiitttttt (trailing off)."

• Like 8

Are we just going to pretend that teenage hyperviolent boy EDI doesn't rape a blimp when she won't give him what he wants?

• Like 3

Are we just going to pretend that teenage hyperviolent boy EDI doesn't rape a French blimp when she won't give him what he wants?

After machine-gunning off her chastity belt, no less!

• Like 1

Did anyone else think that Sam Shepard's plan to kill Josh Lucas seemed needlessly complicated? His plane is out of fuel! Just let him crash in the ocean, no fuss, no muss. Instead he gives him the location of a secret Alaskan base, and then rather than have him killed as soon as he lands on the tarmac, they all wait to have a phony "doctor" administer poison with a needle. Everyone at this secret base seems in on the "kill Josh Lucas" plan, so why not get it over with right away? Instead, they took exactly the right amount of time to let Josh figure out that it was a setup.

This seems like a sub-Bond villain plan, with none of the usual flair you get in those movies. Well below the standard we should expect from the United States Navy.

• Like 11