πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
JulyDiaz

Episode 144 - Stealth

So this morning I woke up with conjunctivitis and have been shaking off some sort of chest cold so I am pretty horse and not feeling my best and not in the mood for singing along.

Take care and get well soon Lando. I'm currently working on a second list too however it's going to be all Japanese stuff. Which maybe me think, for you as a big metal person what's your take on BABYMETAL?

• Like 5

Hah, I said I was "horse."

Β 

Take care and get well soon Lando. I'm currently working on a second list too however it's going to be all Japanese stuff. Which maybe me think, for you as a big metal person what's your take on BABYMETAL?

Β 

Thanks! I feel like I have been constantly sick with little viruses and stuff the past 7 months of having a baby in daycare.

Β 

I know that there are a lot of people that get angry about BABYMETAL for some weird reason. It's easier than ever to not listen to something that you don't enjoy. I like a couple of their songs, I have heard their latest album is pretty good and have been meaning to give it a listen. Someone posted a montage video of the bands from the backup members of BABYMETAL and several of those bands sounded interesting.

I like some Visual Kei artists like Dir En Grey, but Japanese music is really expensive and hard to come by in the US.

• Like 4

Round 2:

• Between The Buried and Me - White Walls (all 14 minutes of it)
  • Muse - The Gallery
  • Ice Cube - I Wanna Kill Sam (Those first four Ice Cube albums still hold up and in a tragic way, still feel just as relevant as ever)
  • Devin Townsend - Seventh Wave
  • Social Distortion - Bad Luck
  • Eazy E - We Want Eazy (I don't think Eazy holds up quite as well as Ice Cube since a lot of his songs are hyper mysogynistic and homophobic, but damn he could put together a good song)
  • Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (I don't know how this is the first NIN song on here. They are one of the top 3 bands that take up the most space on my iPod)
  • Bauhaus - Silent Hedges
  • Genesis - The Brazilian
  • Oceansize - One Day All This Could Be Yours

• Like 5

I was hoping for the John Mulaney reference and have "It's Not Unusual" as number 8.

You know, I was almost asleep and couldn't remember what the other song was, so I decided to mix it up with a Comedy Bean Bag favorite.

Β 

Once I pulled a similar prank and played $5.00 worth of "Que Sera, Sera" at a college bar. After about 20 minutes the bartender was demanding to know who did it, and then just turned off the jukebox. >:(

• Like 4

So now that I'm home from work and not in a rush I decided to do the jukebox again but this time all fancy like with links! Also I thought this time I would only play stuff from my Japanese music. Besides I think you folks would probably find that more interesting than all my pre-2000 western music.

Β 

EDI'S JUKEBOX take 2

Β 

1)

2) Time goes by - Every Little Thing

3)

(oddly enough the only version on youtube is the English version)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9) ROSIER -Luna Sea

10)

• Like 4

Hammers of Misfortune - You Should Have Slain Me

For some reason, back in 2003 or so, I found myself running the sound at a Hammers of Misfortune show. Nicest bunch of people and they rocked my fucking face off. Good metal!

• Like 3

So now that I'm home from work and not in a rush I decided to do the jukebox again but this time all fancy like with links! Also I thought this time I would only play stuff from my Japanese music. Besides I think you folks would probably find that more interesting than all my pre-2000 western music.

Β 

EDI'S JUKEBOX take 2

Β 

1)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9) ROSIER -Luna Sea

10)

Β 

Nice, I am going to check these out later. Japan must have the most vibrant music scene in the world that is also the most isolated from the west (or at least the English speaking west)

• Like 2

For some reason, back in 2003 or so, I found myself running the sound at a Hammers of Misfortune show. Nicest bunch of people and they rocked my fucking face off. Good metal!

Β 

Wow, that is awesome! I expected nobody to recognize the name and just think it was weird.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll do the too-enthusiastic-new-guy thing of jumping in first to EDI'S JUKEBOX.

Β 

I did so generally earlier in the thread, but I would like to specifically welcome you to our little family here. I hope you are feeling welcome! The regulars around here are pretty wonderful people. There's never any (real) drama around here, and the drama that does arise is usually from cock nozzles who come in to complain about audio quality during live episodes or something. It's been kind of an oasis from the rest of the Internet's bullshit.

Β 

Thanks! I feel like I have been constantly sick with little viruses and stuff the past 7 months of having a baby in daycare.

Β 

Ugh! Tell me about it. Those kids are just a bunch snot nosed little plague carriers. I hadn't been sick in years until I put my eldest son in daycare. I hope you feel better soon.

Β 

Β 

EDI'S JUKEBOX take 2

Β 

1)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9) ROSIER -Luna Sea

10)

Β 

Thanks for posting these! I was really missing your insights into Japanese culture while you were on your forum hiatus.

Β 

Speaking of which...if you guys are still keeping up with the forums, Amy the Gorilla, Auden, EllenM, Fister Roboto, and PlanB, I hope everything is going well with you guys and you find your way back here soon. Your input is sorely missed--although in the case of Auden and EllenM, I suspect Fall Semester starting has something to do with their recent absence. If so, I hope school is going well with you guys! You're all missed!

• Like 5

9. Monster Mash - Bobby Pickett

Β 

Funny story (to me) about this song. A couple of weeks before my son was born, I put together a playlist for my wife to listen to during labor. Of course I put a bunch of her favorite songs on it...and I might have just slipped this one in there too. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a punchline since it didn't make it to the show, but I still kind of would have liked to see the look on her face when, as the baby was crowning, she heard Bobby Pickett suddenly sing, "I was working in the lab, late one night..."

Β 

Β 

I genuinely have no idea how my wife puts up with me.

Β 

• Like 5

I know Ryan Reynolds actually did the same kind of prank when Blake Lively was in labor. I can't for the life of me remember what song it was but he told this story on Seth Meyers while promoting Deadpool and said that she just looked over at him and said, "Are you fucking kidding me right now."

Β 

EDIT: Simple google search tells me it was "Let's Get It On"

• Like 3

I know Ryan Reynolds actually did the same kind of prank when Blake Lively was in labor. I can't for the life of me remember what song it was but he told this story on Seth Meyers while promoting Deadpool and said that she just looked over at him and said, "Are you fucking kidding me right now."

Β 

Β 

Goddamnit! That motherfucker Ryan Reynolds is always stealing my bits! While I didn't put "Let's Get It On" on there, I did ask her at one point if she wanted to make out to pass the time. She was, oddly enough, not amused.

• Like 2

"Top Gun it felt like there were real planes." That's because there were.

Β 

Working with the military got Top Gun both convincing footage of authentic equipment and budgetary savings; Stealth wound up with neither.

The list of examples of why primes are good numbers and four is a bad number includes the Three Musketeers. But in The Three Musketeers there are actually four musketeers: the protagonist D'Artagnan successfully joins the trio of Athos, Aramis and Porthos. Even if they don't know the original book, how do they not know the 1993 Disney movie?

Β 

1873772,j8lRRzimVq0aW57pvmyVDqVmzOSWbpC9rjF0BAr1M6c3yT0CcOGfb6Gf8IFod5N+WaaOen8ziJMaAFgjMT0NlA==.jpg

• Like 1

The Three Stooges is also a bit of a dubious example given the existence of Shemp, Joe and Curly Joe, bringing the total to the composite number 6. Plus it didn't work out so well for these three:

[media='']

[/media]

Although with Number Five they make four, but then again Number Five is literally a prime number, but it's a good result from Number Five's point of view, and... I give up, the prime number rule makes no sense.

The list of examples of why primes are good numbers and four is a bad number includes the Three Musketeers. But in The Three Musketeers there are actually four musketeers: the protagonist D'Artagnan successfully joins the trio of Athos, Aramis and Porthos. Even if they don't know the original book, how do they not know the 1993 Disney movie?

Β 

1873772,j8lRRzimVq0aW57pvmyVDqVmzOSWbpC9rjF0BAr1M6c3yT0CcOGfb6Gf8IFod5N+WaaOen8ziJMaAFgjMT0NlA==.jpg

Β 

I forgot that this version existed! When I think of French sword fighters, those four are exactly who I picture.

• Like 1

EDI playlist:

Β 

1. David Bowie - Heroes

2. The Ramones - The KKK Took My Baby Away

3. Led Zeppelin - What Is and What Should Never Be

4. INXS - Need You Tonight

5. The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You

6. The Strokes - Last Nite

7. Johnny Cash - I've Been Everywhere

8. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)

9. Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes - (I've Had) The Time of My Life

10. The Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven

Β 

This fairly reveals me as a classic and/or 80s rock fan who occasionally dips into VERY cheesy/campy stuff.

• Like 9

Sorry I'm WAY LATE Everyone!!! I was MIA because I was crazy busy last week and did not have time to discuss "Stealth"

Β 

I have to congratulate each and every one of you ( Old and New Forum Members alike ) for doing an excellent job picking apart this movie

Β 

Now that I'm here I'll comment on a couple of things I think I can "explain"...

Β 

Also one scene which relates to this I found very odd was in Thailand after Jessica Biel and the Thai girl leave to make pee pee, Jamie Foxx and Josh Lucas talk about the will they won't they between Lucas and Biel. Foxx talks about how Biel's character "went to all the right schools and had the right background" for a woman to make it to the top in the navy and that they were setting her up to be a poster girl. However, if she gave into her feelings for Josh Lucas and he gave into his feelings for her it would ruin all that. Is this because of fraternization rules? They are both equal rank and both are willing and compliant. How is that a breech of those rules? Then after saying that Lucas could mess it all up Foxx says "So that's why I hope your love is powerful" which seems to undercut the reasons for messing things up for her as a breech of navy rules. Rather it seems to be the implication that if it didn't work about between them she'd be so jilted that she'd throwaway her career or be unable to focus. Or somehow being in a relationship would make her less of a role model or pilot. You could argue that she seems to have been crushing on Lucas the entire time and it hadn't effected her abilities at all. I dunno, something about that scene bothered me.

Β 

It bothered me too. Also in the next scene Jessica Biel is having drinks (Martinis?) with Josh Lucas and she heavily hints that she has strong feelings for him, he jarringly responds to this by casualy saying that he is going to check out the Thai Nightlife and gives her 2/3rds of a "Hasta MaΓ±ana Chica" ("See you tomorrow, Girl" in Spanish). He stands up, and when he starts heading out his "dickish" facial expression turns into a sad face... What I took from all that was that Josh didn't wish to damage her image and career so instead of admitting to Jessica that he liked LIKED her too he took Jamie Foxx's advice and dismissed her advances. Predictable and one dimensional characters anyone???

Β 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfNqIIIGgQ

Β 

1- For all its supposed ability to learn, EDI makes wild assumptions based on noticing something once. Josh Lucas disobeyed an order on a very specific situation and suddenly EDI decides that it knows the right time to disobey orders. That computer would see someone flip a coin once, and it would be 100% certain that all coin filps land on heads.

Β 

( If it's not too late... I want to submit the next part to the upcoming mini epoisode's corrections and omissions segment )

Β 

A lot of you talked about this and I have a personal ( crazy ) theory made up of things said on the episode, on the forum and what I saw in the movie...

Β 

After EDI is hit by lightning his DNA is modified... Right??? ( Just like Jason said in the episode )

Β 

I strongly think that the main reason that EDI goes all EMO rebellious teenager after that is because he has part of Josh Lucas DNA spliced with his! He has the same problem following orders as Josh Lucas has in that first trial mission ( And all of Lucas career it seems ) not only because he "learned it" but also because its now a part of him

Β 

This is 100% possible because the lightning hits Josh Lucas's plane like 4 or more times first and then bridges onto EDI (its a split second but it totally happens) zK1kXqy.jpg

Β 

That's all I wanted to say for now... Thank you for reading!

• Like 6

i don't know if you guys follow june and paul on instagram, and i hope this isnt inappropriate, but june announced today that she lost her dad during the week. i just thought i'd take a moment to send my best wishes to june, paul and all their family. i loved the moments on the podcast when june would share stories about her dad. they were always funny and always full of love. i love junes view of the world and hearing june talk about her dad i could see he was a major influence on that view. so this is just me sending my sympathies to their family and to let them know they are in my thoughts today.

Β 

I'm so sorry for your loss June... My thoughts and prayers go out with you and your family in this difficult time.

• Like 4

Β 

Nice, I am going to check these out later. Japan must have the most vibrant music scene in the world that is also the most isolated from the west (or at least the English speaking west)

The music scene is very active but I don't know if it's due to the large population or what but it's very divided and subcultured. You mentioned visual kei stuff earlier and that's a great example of this. There are maybe two visual kei bands that will see major air play on TV or radio. Yet it's a huge scene with tons of bands but you have to be in the know to see them or find them. Then within that group you have the more host looking all black wearing ones, the over the top costumes and theatrics ones, and then the more horror inspired ones. Subcultures within subcultures. Unfortunately much like back home I assume the main stream stuff is pretty safe and standard. It's mostly boy bands and girl bands. While some of it is okay, it's all very safe and similar. However live shows can get crazy here in general. You have bands like Perfume who do incredible stage shows with lighting and effects, then you have idol groups where half the show is watching the crazy nerds in the crowd with their predetermined dance moves and calls and responses to shout out. The music industry is so big and there are so many live venues that no matter what you want it you'll be able to find at least one band that matches it.

Β 

There is a documentary series on Youtube called

which has a very unique thesis about Japanese music and the world. In brief that Japan gets foreign music and allows that to model and influence their music but their music doesn't get played outside of Japan. However, video games created in Japan scored by Japanese people with Japanese sensibilities have been played in the west since the 80s and that music has had a direct influence on the west. So Japan's biggest influence to world music is the music of video games. Pretty interesting to think about.
  • Like 2

Β 

I did so generally earlier in the thread, but I would like to specifically welcome you to our little family here. I hope you are feeling welcome! The regulars around here are pretty wonderful people. There's never any (real) drama around here, and the drama that does arise is usually from cock nozzles who come in to complain about audio quality during live episodes or something. It's been kind of an oasis from the rest of the Internet's bullshit.

Β 

Β 

Thanks so much - it's been a really fun week so far, checking out the forums and getting to chat with all of these HDTGM Forum All-Stars whose names I know so well from Corrections and Omissions! I always wondered if you guys kept tabs on who 'wins' C+O each episode, and totally expected to see running totals in people's signature when I first came here. But no, everyone's totally friendly and nice, and I've really enjoyed chipping in. This feels like a real throwback for me - I was a moderator and editor on the Four Word Film Review for many years (www.fwfr.com and the accompanying book) but since grad school I have drifted away from that site, so being back talking movies is so damn refreshing. And it's funny you talk about people being away because of school being back - I am a drama professor at a university up here so amidst all of the course planning, teaching, and committee meetings, it's been visiting this forum that's been a bright spot in what's always a crazy busy month!

Β 

I'm collating my updated EDI'S JUKEBOX now: I'll update when I'm finished.

Β 

Thanks again for the warm welcome! If you don't mind, I'll stick around.

• Like 4

A lot of you talked about this and I have a personal ( crazy ) theory made up of things said on the episode, on the forum and what I saw in the movie...

Β 

After EDI is hit by lightning his DNA is modified... Right??? ( Just like Jason said in the episode )

Β 

I strongly think that the main reason that EDI goes all EMO rebellious teenager after that is because he has part of Josh Lucas DNA spliced with his! He has the same problem following orders as Josh Lucas has in that first trial mission ( And all of Lucas career it seems ) not only because he "learned it" but also because its now a part of him

Β 

This is 100% possible because the lightning hits Josh Lucas's plane like 4 or more times first and then bridges onto EDI (its a split second but it totally happens) zK1kXqy.jpg

Β 

That's all I wanted to say for now... Thank you for reading!

Β 

I bloody LOVE this theory. Brilliant work!

• Like 2

Okay. Updated EDI'S JUKEBOX. Kind of a cheat because I have been listening to podcasts in the car today (I am five years behind on Comedy Bang! Bang!, listening from the start: it's still Comedy Death Ray in my car) but these were the last ten I listened to right through, as per the rules of the game.

Β 

- Steel Panther (bad start)

2. Helpless - Hamilton Original Cast Recording (improving)

- Epic Rap Battles of History

- Regurgitator

- William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet Soundtrack, Volume II

- Hilltop Hoods Feat. Sia*

- Regina Spektor*

- Jason Mraz

- Nellie McKay (skip past Nellie's cringey banter at the start)

- First Aid Kit*

Β 

I like this list better than my first one. Steel Panther is a worry and I hadn't even realised I had that Jason Mraz song (I heard it and went, oh, THIS song? I thought this was Third Eye Blind or someone), but the rest are good. Glad to get some Aussie hip-hop in there (Hilltoppa). Especial soft spot for 'O Verona'. I still remember the exact place I was when I first saw that opening sequence in the cinema.

• Like 5

Β 

Would have thought Salt N' Pepa's "Push It" would have been a more apt song for that moment.

• Like 4