๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 144 - Stealth

Would have thought Salt N' Pepa's "Push It" would have been a more apt song for that moment.

ย 

C+C Music Factory's 'Gonna Make You Sweat'?

• Like 2

Again, late to the party on this. Here's my EDI playlist, culled from my iPhone:

ย 

1. The Avalaches "Colours"

2. Guided By Voices "Eskimo Clockwork"

3. DJ Shadow and Run The Jewels "Nobody Speak"

4. Big Black "Bad Houses"

5. My Bloody Valentine "If I Am"

6. Thee Oh Sees "Ticklish Warrior"

7. The Caretaker "Roll Up the Carpet and Dance"

8. Make Up "What's the Rumpus?"

9. JG Thirwell "Optimistic Space Travel"

10. Panopticon "Pale Ghost"

• Like 6

EDI Part deux now that I have my entire music library

ย 

(apparently every other youtube video has been blocked in the US by BMG so fuck those guys)

(knew it would happen eventually)
  • Like 8

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but...

ย 

ย 

When we are first introduced to the shady government official, it is at the beginning of the film through a extreme wide shot of a typical DC govt office. The camera kind of pans over the office and then zooms in to a window where we see someone on a phone call. I took this as someone spying in on the conversation and thought this rogue individual or organization will eventually lead to the premise of the plane going haywire. Nope. Just a simple electrical storm.

ย 

Much love to June and Paul during the hard time.

ย 

All my best,

Pete

Why does Orbit think his original name is "too earthly" when he designs planes, not spacecraft? Perhaps the plane is able to fly so high in the upper atmosphere that it's technically in space (as in the opening of Revenge of the Sith) but still.

One prediction the movie got right about 2016: tensions between the United States and Russia, as shown in the line about how it would be interpreted as hostile to have the planes fly towards Russian airspace. North Korea sometimes appeared as a rival in '90s/early-'00s action movies like Die Another Day, but Russia was usually assumed to be an ally after the Cold War was over (as with the line in Terminator 2 about them being "our friends now").

Could it be that the apples were intended as a reference to the Garden of Eden? And the plane killing Jamie Foxx being the equivalent of Cain killing Abel? With Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel putting the human population at a composite number for the first time, is that the reason for the thing about primes being good and composite numbers like four being bad? When the commanding officer says he will lie to cover up what's happening with the plane, he bites into an apple, paralleling how Adam and Eve lied and literally covered up after eating the fruit of knowledge (which itself is kind of like how the plane goes bad from absorbing too much knowledge).

• Like 2

The ultimate irony of the whole "three in a group good, four bad" thing is that, as mentioned in Michael Crichton's Sphere, three-person groups have the problem of two of the group teaming up in a majority against the third:

ย 

In studies of group dynamics he had long ago verified the truth of the old statement โ€œThreeโ€™s a crowd.โ€ For a high-tension situation, groups of three were inherently unstable. Unless everybody had clearly defined responsibilities, the group tended to form shifting allegiances, two against one.
  • Like 2

For a big studio movie, it's awfully cavalier about the plane pirating music. Kazaam basically does implicitly (as pointed out) but here it's stated outright. This was the mid-'00s era when TV broadcasts of Weird Al Yankovic's "Don't Download This Song" were bleeping out the names of the file-sharing sites in the lyrics, so it seems weird that they'd openly acknowledge the existence of piracy in a movie where it's not a main part of the plot.

ย 

And if the plane really has all music ever at its disposal, why didn't they go all the way with its musical tastes? It should have been into Tuvan throat singing or some other offbeat international genre, like a live version of the Voyager record. Or if it wanted to go all-American patriotic in its music, how about if it was blasting century-old Edison wax cylinder recordings of John Philip Sousa marches?

[media='']

[/media]

ย 

Or how about if it decided that some bands were too awful to exist, and flew around the world trying to assassinate random untalented musicians while our heroes had to stop it? Now that would be a plot!

• Like 3

For a big studio movie, it's awfully cavalier about the plane pirating music. Kazaam basically does implicitly (as pointed out) but here it's stated outright. This was the mid-'00s era when TV broadcasts of Weird Al Yankovic's "Don't Download This Song" were bleeping out the names of the file-sharing sites in the lyrics, so it seems weird that they'd openly acknowledge the existence of piracy in a movie where it's not a main part of the plot.

ย 

That's the thing, though. Given that EDI is without skin tone, an accent, facial hair, or a cigarette dangling from beneath his unnecessary cockpit, if he wasn't stealing music, how else was the audience supposed to come to the conclusion that he was a morally reprehensible dude?

• Like 4

ย 

That's the thing, though. Given that EDI is without skin tone, an accent, facial hair, or a cigarette dangling from beneath his unnecessary cockpit, if he wasn't stealing music, how else was the audience supposed to come to the conclusion that he was a morally reprehensible dude?

ย 

If he used drugs.

• Like 2

If he used drugs.

ย 

If he was a banker, lawyer, politician, or at some point said, "I'm not a dog person..."

• Like 1

When they mention that EDI is downloading all of the songs ever, does that just mean major releases or does it include countless indie and self releases? Also since this is in the near future and with the growth of musicians using sites like Youtube to get their music out to the masses, are those included? Because if that is the case then that is MILLIONS of songs and that would equal out to Peta if not Exabytes of data, way more than even the most advanced artificial intelligence could presumably hold, not to mention having to retain basic and advanced information of flying, combat scenarios and maneuvers, and whatever it learns from observing its human counterparts. Another thing concerning the prime number situation, I was hoping the sequels could cover the new teams that feature 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, 113, 127, 131, 137, 139, 149, 151, 157, 163, 167, 173, 179, 181, 191, 193, 197, 199, 211, 223, 227, 229, 233, 239, 241, 251, 257, 263, 269, 271, 277, 281, 283, 293, 307, 311, 313, 317, 331, 337, 347, 349, 353, 359, 367, 373, 379, 383, 389, 397, 401, 409, 419, 421, 431, 433, 439, 443, 449, 457, 461, 463, 467, 479, 487, 491, 499, 503, 509, 521, 523, 541, 547, 557, 563, 569, 571, 577, 587, 593, 599, 601, 607, 613, 617, 619, 631, 641, 643, 647, 653, 659, and 661 members, because those prime number teams should be AMAZING.

ย 

Musicians on YouTube in 2005? Back then it was MySpace all the way.

ย 

In fact that would be a great only-in-2005 premise: the plane goes nuts due to being overwhelmed by all the amateurish garage band songs on MySpace before Vevo and similar more professional online music sites displace it. Or gets a virus from MySpace's banner ads.

• Like 2

Speaking of which...if you guys are still keeping up with the forums, Amy the Gorilla, Auden, EllenM, Fister Roboto, and PlanB, I hope everything is going well with you guys and you find your way back here soon. Your input is sorely missed--although in the case of Auden and EllenM, I suspect Fall Semester starting has something to do with their recent absence. If so, I hope school is going well with you guys! You're all missed!

ย 

Thanks for the shout out! School is back but I also didn't really have anything to add to this movie...

ย 

Because I finally listened to HAMILTON! I couldn't go back to this garbage film so soon after that.

ย 

EDI Jukebox Time

1. WTF (Where They From)- Missy Elliot feat. Pharrell Williams

2. California Girls-The Beach Boys

3. Come Get It Bae- Pharrell Williams

4. Let's Talk About Sex- Salt n Pepa

5. Money- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

6. That Don't Impress Me Much-Shania Twain

7. Mushaboom-Feist

8. Sweet Nothing- Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch

9. Turn the Lights On-Big Sugar

10. I'm on Fire- AWOLNATION

ย 

• Like 6

ย 

Because I finally listened to HAMILTON! I couldn't go back to this garbage film so soon after that.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Yay!

ย 

ย 

one-of-us.gif?w=530

ย 

• Like 2

New forum game!

ย 

3 fictional characters that describe you! DO IT!

ย 

EDIT: I wanted to post gifs instead.

ย 

giphy.gif

ย 

tumblr_nyha8jETPu1qg0u4go2_500.gif

ย 

leslie-knope-waffle.gif

ย 

Mine are Cher, Rebecca Bunch, and Leslie Knope :D

• Like 7

New forum game!

ย 

3 fictional characters that describe you! DO IT!

ย 

ย 

Ha ha, nice game! Here's my three (subject to change any time I'm sure):

ย 

sunglasses_elwood.jpg

ย 

suicide-squad-captain-boomerang-jai-courtney.jpg

ย 

tumblr_inline_npcadb7PK81qinkat_540.png

ย 

Elwood Blues, Captain Boomerang, Geoffrey Tennant!

• Like 5

giphy.gif

ย 

tumblr_mktf18CLRt1rieczqo1_500.jpg

ย 

ebg000084zv4.png

ย 

Elliot Alderson, Riley Jones and a combo of the clones of Abe Lincoln and Joan of Arc

• Like 6

15i6n92.jpg

i am a lot like mr nobody in that I can never make my mind up about doing things.

so I simply don't, case in point I am buying a new computer and I waited tell now to get windows 7, I can't deal with windows 10 yet. and now I am not sure if sold state drive is the way to go for me. at times I feel like ed ward sister-hands. end up distorting everything I create. I cry everytime I watch that movie, because it's for the most part me as a teenager.

ke9bgg.jpg

ย 

maybe if I get this jacket everything will work out just fine.

• Like 7

You didn't say anything about using Muppets and cartoon charactors !!! That's a game changer!

ย 

who is the worst celebrity you've been told you look like?

ย 

I'll start. one day me and my sister had gone to the local farmers market and I had long hair and a ponytail and sunglass on. so This lady who was working the till told me I look like Meat Loaf, I was soo fucking upset. Ok I was a bit heavy at the time but I in no way looked like Meat Loaf LOL.

ย 

sbiowi.jpg <-- picture of what I think she thought I look like, in my mind..

now that i think about it I did have a lather biker jacket and I did say I had a ponytail.

can't find any pictures of him with a ponytail....so am not sure where the hell that came from.

Ohh btw My sister got told she looked like Madonna and annie lennox.when Madonna had really short hair. and she did look like a movie star when she wanted too.

ย 

Mind you that's not as bad as the time when I was at a makeup counter with my sister and I had my hair back and my back turned and the lady at the counter asked me I would like to try some. I turned my head and smiled and said Nope LOL, I was the missing member of the movie hair.

• Like 2

You didn't say anything about using Muppets and cartoon charactors !!! That's a game changer!

Hey I said 3 fictional characters! There were no rules set in place!