🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TessWhite

The Babysitters Club (1995)

Even when I was a kid I couldnt help but wonder why the girl hid her diabetes from the boy she likes? I get lying about her age to seem older, but why hide the diabetes?

That's a subplot lifted straight from the books: the whole subject was handled very strangely in the 80's. I remember reading the books as a kid and diabetes was a big deal to the characters, so they worked through the worries with how it will be perceived through one book, 'The Truth About Stacey'. Plot excerpt:

Stacey's parents have been looking for a cure for her diabetes, dragging her to doctor from doctor (including a holistic doctor) which makes Stacey unhappy. Stacey talks to Dr. Johanssen who helps her schedule an appointment with a sensible doctor who convince her parents to lay off the search for a miracle. In the end, Mr. & Mrs. McGill agree to include their daughter in any decisions about her health care. (Source)

A cure! Seeking a miracle!

All this to say, this weirdly taboo-style approach to diabetes is right from the books, because she doesn't know how she'll be treated, and serves as inspiration for other kids going through the same thing.

I can't believe I had all of that at the ready to answer that rhetorical question.

June is the the right age to have watched this at the cinema and we know Jason loves everything made for teenage girls so this would be a great pick.

Sign in to follow this