🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Straight from the IMDB synopsis, "Dorothy, saved from a psychiatric experiment by a mysterious girl, is somehow called back to Oz when a vain witch and the Nome King destroy everything that makes the magical land beautiful."

I hate everything about this movie, just brutal.

As a child, I could not get past the scene with the wheelers. I ran upstairs screaming. I had nightmares. But I love it now because of how creepy it is. There are so many things that make it too frightening for kids, but so many other things that make it not suitable for adults.

There are more creepy children's films, by the way. The Gate and Watcher in the Woods are great examples of creepy kids movies.

In the beginning of what is supposed to be a sequel to Wizard of Oz we are led to believe Dorthy's visit to Oz was actually a hallucination brought on by mental illness. But after escaping a psychiatric hospital where she's sent for electroshock therapy, she winds up back in what has become an incredibly bleak post-apocalyptic Emerald City. The yellow brick road is rubble and citizens are crumbling plaster statues. I was six when I saw this and never cried so hard in my life.

One of the countless disturbing scenes:

Reviews written at the time warned parents not to take young children. It's kind like a One who Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest themed bad acid trip for kids.

I OBJECT!

This movie is excellent. One of my favorites as a kid, actually.

I have to agree with Sean. I remember watching this almost every time I went to my aunts house and while there were some scary/disturbing parts I really enjoyed it.

Half In The Bag did a review of the new Oz and also did a mini review of this and made some good points about how kids movies used to be a lot darker/scarier which made the happy ending feel like it was earned.

• Like 1

I loved this movie as a kid, but I'll admit it is frickin' creepy and crazy as all get-out. It's like Terry Gilliam fucked the Jim Henson Creature Shop and their baby had a nightmare. Would definitely make a good discussion, whether the group liked it or not.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Sean. I remember watching this almost every time I went to my aunts house and while there were some scary/disturbing parts I really enjoyed it.

Half In The Bag did a review of the new Oz and also did a mini review of this and made some good points about how kids movies used to be a lot darker/scarier which made the happy ending feel like it was earned.

Yeah, I think children's movies back then showed a fuller picture of what was in the real world. Some parts of it was good, some parts were bad/scary, and some were just down right weird/strange. I put the Dark Crystal, the Neverending Story, and the first Willie Wonka in the same category as this movie.

It's like Terry Gilliam fucked the Jim Henson Creature Shop and their baby had a nightmare.

This should be the synopsis on the IMDB page for that. Perfect.

Fairuza Balk went on the following year to star in... drum roll...

...with Tim Curry, Dianna Rigg(!) and Mrs. Garrett from The Facts of Life.

Yeah, I agree. It's not a bad movie, just totally inappropriate for its target audience. Would make a really fun episode.

The guys with wheels for hands and feet, that chased Dorothy around, scared the shit out of me. A lot. This movie is whack! Even Dorothy is creepy.

you mean these guys? What's that squeaking sound he makes by tweaking his neck? must be how they communicate.

Yes. Those guys. I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing them again and yet I had to watch that video.

• Like 1

Just watched this last night, the actor they got for the nome king is fucking brilliant.

This movie really is disconcerting on several levels, but goddamn if it isnt wonderful.

And thats a great point about old school kids movies making them earn their endings. Secrets of NIMH is another darker toned kids movie that was wonderful. Or Dark Crystal which still freaks my wife out.

I love this movie! Surprised no one has mentioned that Dorothy is Fairuza Balk. If they were to actually do this film it would be her third film on HDTGM if you count Bad Lieutenant. That might put her in some rarified air.

Wow, just saw this and it was a doozie. hard to believe that this was made for kids, what with all the crazy creep head swapping and electro-shock therapy of a child. The fact that the IMDb FAQ is undecided about whether this can even be considered a sequel should give an idea of the wild tonal shift from Wizard of Oz. Would make for a fun episode.

This movie scared the SHIT out of me as a kid! But it's actually pretty enjoyable, IIRC: the moose bed, the wheelers, the heads, the Nome King. Definitely in the creepy-as-fuck-but-amazing kids' movies camp.

Holy god, what a BONKERS movie! I just watched this last night for the first time in my life, and this would be an amazing subject for the show! Here's just a few reasons:

1) Markedly younger-looking Dorothy is nearly immediately imprisoned in an insane asylum

2) Nearly subjected to electroshock therapy

3) drowns another girl without remorse.

if you think I just spoiled this movie, THAT IS ONLY THE FIRST 10 MINUTES.

Please, please, PLEASE. This one.

Sequel to the Wizard of OZ

Fairuza Balk of the HDTGM classic The island of Doctor Moreau plays Dorothy. 

IMDB Storyline Description

Dorothy Gale has recently come home to Kansas from the Land of Oz is now almost back to perfect health since the incident of the tornado, only she cannot get that wonderful place out of her head. She frequently talks about it and cannot get any sleep at night. Aunt Em worries about her health/well-being. Thinking that she is suffering delusional depression and acute insomnia, she decides to take her to see a special doctor in another town. While he tries to treat her with electro-shock treatment and take those nasty dreams away from her head, she is rescued by a mysterious girl who leads her back to Oz for a new adventure.

I feel this is down to the era of 80s. A lot of risks were taken back then that they wouldnt of dream doing now. Some paid off some didnt. I loved this movie as a kid even with all the creepyness.