🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kingfish280

Wings of Desire

There definitely needs to be more foreign films in the Canon, and I feel like a good place to start for Germany would be Wim Wenders. I think it would make sense to start with what is not only, arguably, his masterpiece, but is also a lovely synthesis of classic German expressionism and the sort of new wave punkish sensibility of the 70s and 80s German New Wave. It's just a wonderful film I would love to hear broken down. Maybe it could be a versus with Paris, Texas or an installment of Wenders' "Road Movie Trilogy." Or it could even be a versus against one of his contemporaries like Herzog or Fassbinder.

• Like 2

I really need to see this again. Peter Falk - playing himself, Peter Falk, actor - a former angel, counseling a more recent angel, in love with a trapeze artist, in 1980s shot-in-black-and-white Berlin.

If you're not into that, please, reconsider your film fandom. That should sound magnificent to ANYONE here. It's got Columbo, it's got Nick Cave, it's got Hitler!

Wings of Desire is a classic for sure, although I think the sequel Faraway, So Close is even better. The tepid American remake (without Peter Falk!) should be nuked from orbit for unleashing the Goo Goo Dolls on an unsuspecting populace.

Wim Wenders films -- the few good ones -- are, for me at least, overshadowed by the director's prolific output since the early 1990s, nearly all of which is turgid, boring, or slight. It leads me to believe that he was never a truly great filmmaker, only someone with a few good ideas.

Oh yeah, he's really become a parody of himself. I mean I love his early stuff but Everything Will Be Fine is honest to god garbage.

Sign in to follow this