🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Somehow no one has suggested this abomination of a movie starring HDTGM all star Jennifer Lopez.

Within the confines of an abandoned rural farmhouse, Carl Stargher, a psychologically disturbed killer has built The Cell, a glass-encased chamber where he drowns his innocent female victims before continuing a sadistic post-mortem ritual with their bodies. As the FBI finally closes in on the killer, he is rendered comatose by a violent seizure and is ultimately apprehended into their custody, but not before leaving his latest victim alive in The Cell with only forty hours to live. Enter Catherine Deane. Deane, a child therapist, is part of an advanced neurological study at the Campbell Center, a research division of a large pharmaceutical company, where she's been using her empathetic abilities along with breakthrough technology to enter into the mind of a catatonic young boy to help bring him back to his loving parents. While FBI agents Peter Novak and his partner Gordon Ramsey follow clues to uncover the missing girl's whereabouts, the FBI enlist Catherine to use her "gift" to embark on an uncharted and perilous journey through Stargher's demented mind.

The trailer doesn't really show how bonkers this movie you definitely need to watch this just for the crazy.

• Like 1

Just to show how batshit this movie is here is a screenshot of J Lo as the Virgin Mary.

3151f954248f45201e20d32e78a5461e.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yeah, it's the movie that decided it needed to show us a horse getting sliced apart. It's like Matthew Barney's Cremaster meets Silence of the Lambs. Jennifer Lopez is particularly bad in this, the role was way out of her range. Tarsem can't really direct actors very well but he creates some arresting visuals.

Check out The Fall -- another Tarsem movie that looks amazing but also has a dumb story and is poorly acted.

• Like 1

Check out The Fall -- another Tarsem movie that looks amazing but also has a dumb story and is poorly acted.

I'd only seen gif sets of The Fall and the visuals looked amazing so I was really excited to watch it but it was awful.

Oh yeah, it's the movie that decided it needed to show us a horse getting sliced apart.

There's also a horse that gets killed in a stunt in "The Fall," and apparently a horse gets similarly hurt in "Immortals." I think in an interview around the time of "Immortals," Tarsem said he wasn't going to injure a horse in his next movie (which ended up being "Mirror, Mirror," where a horse killing would have been completely inappropriate).

• Like 1

Oh yeah, it's the movie that decided it needed to show us a horse getting sliced apart.

I wonder if the horse being sliced apart and separated by glass is where the Hannibal tv show got the idea from?

• Like 1

I wonder if the horse being sliced apart and separated by glass is where the Hannibal tv show got the idea from?

It's based off the art peice of Damien Hirst titled "Some Comfort Gained from the Acceptance of the Inherent Lies in Everything". Infact basically all the 'head space' scenes are based on famous modern art pieces.

• Like 2

This would be a great episode as it is batshit crazy, though I felt it was visually intriguing and Vincent D'onofrio was pretty good in it.

• Like 1

As well as the visual weirdness in this film from the special effects, I found it weird that Vince Vaughn and Vincent D'Onofrio looked quite alike.

This movie came out when I was in college. I remembered thinking it was decent and started watching it a couple weeks ago when I saw it listed in the on-demand movies. I didn't make it five minutes before turning it off. I think I switched over to Dr. Moreau, which felt like an improvement.

So, as I write this, this movie is playing in the background in my office at work. I had forgotten it existed and now I am reminded that it is a perfect contender for HDTGM.

When I saw this movie when it was in theaters, the fire alarm went off when it got to the batshit visuals, which felt oddly appropriate. The only other thing I remember from it was that Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn were both terrible and the movie felt like a standard-issue, gross serial killer movie. Oh, and Vince Vaughn’s being disgustingly disemboweled (not that there’s such a thing as a pleasant disembowelment). 

So I guess I remembered more than one thing..