🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 447 - These Are the Worst

Maybe you're right. But is this the place for it?

This is the Earwolf website. The place hosting the show that's recorded at the Earwolf studios. I'm sure there have been plenty of guests on the show that have checked out these boards after their appearance.

Would you walk up to a standup after their set and tell them they weren't funny? Even if 95% of the people who spoke to that person, were complimentary, they're still gonna remember those 5% who just had to express their disappointment.

I never thought of that...I kinda feel like a real garbage person now. More than I did already, but yeah. I get it now....

• Like 2

Maybe you're right. But is this the place for it?

This is the Earwolf website. The place hosting the show that's recorded at the Earwolf studios. I'm sure there have been plenty of guests on the show that have checked out these boards after their appearance.

Would you walk up to a standup after their set and tell them they weren't funny? Even if 95% of the people who spoke to that person, were complimentary, they're still gonna remember those 5% who just had to express their disappointment.

Well isn't this sort of the dillemma of being sort of a celebrity? Like googling yourself or whatever is probably going to uncover something unsavory or nasty said by some nobody. I get what you're saying, maybe the CBB Reddit or something is a little more appropriate for negativity (lol) but I think that sort of feedback is going to be found somewhere if you're looking for it, especially online. Plus it happens (that someone visits the forum) but I couldn't for sure say with how much regularity. Its nothing personal. And it seems a bit far removed from going up to them and saying something insulting. I'm addressing my comedy consuming peers here, not the performer directly. To me its more like talking about the comedian with friends after the show, and maybe we're a little too close to earshot range. But yeah, maybe this venue specifically is too close to home. I appreciate the insight. This is just the only place I engage with people about the podcast..

• Like 2

it's definitely removed from going up to them and saying something insulting to their face, because it takes a degree of courage and bravery to be that much of an asshole. it takes none at all to make such a comment here, but it still makes you a bit of an asshole.

• Like 6

it's definitely removed from going up to them and saying something insulting to their face, because it takes a degree of courage and bravery to be that much of an asshole. it takes none at all to make such a comment here, but it still makes you a bit of an asshole.

one a scale of 1 to 10 how much of an asshole are we talking

• Like 1

one a scale of 1 to 10 how much of an asshole are we talking

guy fieri

• Like 1

for me its probably about a million

you didnt say anything in this thread so I assume you are atoning to past mistakes

I will cop to being a little bit of an asshole myself but I do think its silly to have some unwritten forum rule about NO negative feedback. I DO get why this thread turned into a dumpster fire though, I think that was warranted haha.

• Like 1

guy fieri

*look of disbelief/horror, drops mug to floor in slow motion*

• Like 1

you didnt say anything in this thread so I assume you are atoning to past mistakes

Ah c'mon you know me. I'm the village punching bag. The one who made psychological abuse cool again!

• Like 1

I don't know, this was maybe the first CBB in forever that hasn't gotten a single laugh out of me. I don't think it's anyone's fault, just felt like the mojo was missing or the chemistry was off all around. I came here to see if it was just me, maybe my mood was lousy before I tried listening, and also because it took me several attempts across two weeks to finish this EP - which is something that rarely happens, I usually devour these in one go or at least on the same day, and here I tuned in for this week's new episode and saw that I that still had 20 minutes left of this one. At some point I guess I skipped to Ep.448 because this just wasn't happenin' for me. Not knowing any of the guests on the show whatsoever, I don't think I had any preconceptions or expectations. But damn, what a comment thread! I guess I shouldn't say anything about the millennial vocal fry making me want to shove a dull pencil into my eardrums then, eh? (Couldn't tell if it was a real voice or an in-character voice half the time but it doesn't matter now..)

• Like 1

Can I agree to a degree? I think there should be room to offer your opinion on a guest that isn't just roses and sunshine. Generally when I talk on the forum, its heaping praise on an episode or guest. But is that all we're supposed to be here for, is adulation? Can we not offer some differing opinions on the comedy? There's a line we shouldn't cross, obviously. Remarks on appearance, keeping it civil in general, etc. I personally don't like how anytime someone is critical or says something a little negative it seems to be taken to extremes (sexist, racist, whatever). I'm not really defending what happened in this thread, but the ability to say things that aren't just positive.Sounds a little circle-jerky if you're only allowed to be nice nice all the time.

Like, today, this was an episode where the character didn't work for me. I don't think it means Kate is unfunny herself, but nothing about it really struck me as funny. The character felt like it was not really adding anything. Scott is usually pretty good at making lemonade out of these situations, but a character without a sense of humor doesn't strike me as particularly funny. And if you're going to play at anti-comedy or whatever, it feels like the character should be more interesting. But for me it was a bit dull and felt like it sapped the energy a bit. I loved the two guests (that one really DID sound like Sarah Silverman), they brought more laughs to the table (for me, anyways). Bone Queef felt.. problematic at first, when I wasn't sure if it was a white comedian or what haha. And its a bit one note of a character, but I don't think we spent much time exploring that character (which is why maybe it came off one-note), but the one-note WORKED for me. But then we spent the majority of the episode with this OTHER character. I dunno. I know its negative, and maybe its unconstructive, but I feel like there should be some room for that sort of disagreement. Without being shitty to each other. *shrug*

I'd say the reddit threads are probably better for this. Just feels farther removed, like you're not telling earwolf to their face. Maybe that's just me though.

• Like 1