🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
justsomeman

An American Werewolf in London

Getting an early start on my annual classic horror film viewings for Halloween, I scrolled through the Amazon Prime Horror film genre and came across An American Werewolf in London. It has been several years since I've watched this, possibly since late high school or early college.

After the viewing, I felt an extreme urge to post this on here as a suggestion for The Cannon. I can't believe how much this film affected me now. The way it was filmed in the beginning in the moors, the use of classic 'moon' songs, Rick Baker's amazing work with visual/make-up effects, and last but not least the use of comedy. Again, because it had been so long since I watched, I didn't remember how funny it was... or even that it's considered a comedy; I mean shame on me for not noticing the "The Monster Movie" on the poster art. I remember when I was really little seeing my brother's horror film trading cards as well as some scenes on television and was horrified with just the werewolf and nightmare scenes alone. From Jack's increasingly grotesque, yet hilarious, appearances to the bumbling sergeant, John Landis's weaving of comedy in this was near perfect... oh and Frank Oz, holy shit! Almost forgot.

This morning when I was thinking about it more, I was wondering if this was the first instance of a mainstream film that was a perfect blend of comedy and horror? I resist calling this a comedic horror or a horror comedy because it really blends both genres so seamlessly and when I say those two fused genres I think of completely different films. I like to consider myself a film buff but my apologies to those with greater knowledge regarding the subject matter if I'm off or behind. I just am really glad I rewatched this after such a long time and don't know when the last time I was ever reinvigorated by a film after not seeing it for so long. This has become one I will watch every Halloween now.

• Like 2

An absolute classic and I 100% endorse this as well. I think I even suggested at one point on the forums. But whatever gets it done. I can also see Amy liking this movie

• Like 1

I might be one of four people in the world that doesn't love this movie--though, it does have one of the very greatest endings. I'll hear the episode, and re-watch the film. But I don't know. The makeup might be canon-worthy. I could certainly be persuaded.

• Like 2

Jenny Agutter, Nazi werewolves, and some of the best vfx work ever! And one of the best music cues of all time. A genre classic.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this