🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Chet Roivas

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Wes Craven's original Nightmare on Elm Street has the potency and brevity of a classic Grimm fairy tale. Every single sequel bastardised it in some way or another (even the decent ones) but the first film was a genuine landmark. Even the scenes set in broad daylight are unsettling, and Freddy (in his original incarnation only) is a devious, ingenious creation. Also: the soundtrack doesn't get any of the kudos awarded to John Carpenter's Halloween score, but it's in the same league.

I think it's a masterpiece and would love to hear it discussed.

• Like 1

Devin's gone on record of saying he does not, by any means, consider it a Canon-worthy movie. But maybe enough voices might compel him and Amy to make an episode out of it, who knows?

Devin's gone on record of saying he does not, by any means, consider it a Canon-worthy movie.

Wow, that's disappointing. I'm hoping he hasn't seen it recently, because I watched it last week and it killed.

I think I would be more interested in a 3 way VS episode with this, Friday the 13th and Halloween. The three big iconic slasher franchises going at it for one spot in the Canon

I think this this should be in the canon way before Re-Animator or They Live

I think I would be more interested in a 3 way VS episode with this, Friday the 13th and Halloween. The three big iconic slasher franchises going at it for one spot in the Canon

I feel like that's a no contest, flawless victory for Halloween, no?

I think this this should be in the canon way before Re-Animator or They Live

I totally agree.

I feel like that's a no contest, flawless victory for Halloween, no?

Pretty much. I'm a huge Wes Craven fan, but even I have to concede that the first Elm Street plays second fiddle to Carpenter's film. Plus, the idea of Devin and Amy seriously discussing any of the Friday the 13th films on The Canon is pretty amusing.

There is very little to defend with regards to the Friday the 13th films. Halloween would walk it in virtually every horror match up.

Halloween vs. Psycho would be very interesting though. The original slasher film vs. what many consider the definitive slasher film.

Both are iconic, vastly influential and transcend their own genre.

There is very little to defend with regards to the Friday the 13th films. Halloween would walk it in virtually every horror match up.

Halloween vs. Psycho would be very interesting though. The original slasher film vs. what many consider the definitive slasher film.

It's more the prototype versus the codifier, really.

Don't you dare make me have to make that fucking decision. I won't do it, I tell ya!

But yes, A Nightmare On Elm Street definitely deserves its own discussion.

Sign in to follow this