🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Teacher Hands

Cloak and Dagger (1984)

I hadn't seen or thought about this movie for 30 years., but it all suddenly came back to me and I decided to rewatch it this year.

This is the story of a troubled young boy (Elliot from ET) and his imaginary friend running away from KGB agents who are trying to recover stolen plans hidden in an Atari video game cart.

It's loaded with weird subtext, hilariously dated and completely inappropriate for children.

I couldn't recommend it more, it's brilliant.

I saw this Cracked article and was just about to suggest this movie

http://www.cracked.c...-you-never-saw/

This movie sounds insane and dark for a kids movie, kind of like Top Dog:

That's Jack Flack, the star of Davey's favorite video game, come to hallucinatory life. Jack talks to Davey, gives him advice, interacts with the environment, and generally seems real, but only Davey can see him -- just like the Narrator-Durden relationship in Fight Club. Jack is a full-blown dissociated alternate personality that looks just like his dad. And just like Durden, Jack is an amoral sociopath who doesn't seem too concerned for Davey's safety.

The panicked Davey tries to warn the man off, telling the spy that he doesn't want to shoot him. But Jack tells him to pull the trigger, and it isn't just practical advice in a grim situation; he's excited by the prospect. Davey protests, but part of him must want to shoot, because Jack is just another aspect of himself.

I loved this movie as a kid because of the video game connection, but also because I could identify with a young boy whose father is such a shit that he hallucinates a cool version of him. :((((((

• Like 1

Damn this movie is macabre, one of the plot points involves an explosive hidden in a little girl's walkie talkie. It might almost be too inappropriate for kids to even make fun of.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this