🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SiSquires-Kasten

Knock Out Poll (Unofficial!)

Knock Out Poll (Unofficial!)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which film(s) should be removed from the Canon?

• Working Girl
    • Cannibal Holocaust
    • Re-Animator
    • Pennies from Heaven
    • Chi-Raq
    • Clerks
    • 2 Lane Blacktop
    • Usual Suspects
    • Slacker
    • Anti-Christ
    • Animal House
    • Boyz N The Hood

Don't know how Devin or Amy are planning to work the 100th episode, but I figured it might be good to have some harder numbers. Movies here got 3 or more nominations on the last thread. Multiple choice voting.

Personally... I'd like to avoid Pennies from Heaven or Re-Animator. They're indulgence picks and it's their show, they had the right to argue on their behalf and introduce a little personal feeling into the mix. Especially the former. We need more ambitious screw ups with heart and soul, I swear, to serve as humbling reminders of any and all artistic pursuits.

Although, gun to my head, if I had to choose...

Hm.

Again, whatever personal feelings some might have... I kind of want movies like Boyz in the Hood, Working Girl and Chi-Raq in the Canon. We need more diverse voices in our cinema, and like I said with Pennies I'll take the flawed but ambitious and earnest over the fine and dandy and lacking in real soul or perspective.

• Like 5

Personally... I'd like to avoid Pennies from Heaven or Re-Animator. They're indulgence picks and it's their show, they had the right to argue on their behalf and introduce a little personal feeling into the mix. Especially the former. We need more ambitious screw ups with heart and soul, I swear, to serve as humbling reminders of any and all artistic pursuits.

I agree, and I also have been convinced not to vote for Chi-Raq, as the end-of-the-year picks are always gonna be a little wacky.

• Like 1

The only thing I'd warn against by canning Cannibal Holocaust is that we're gonna have to keep watching horrible, depraved movies until we get something representative of cannibal exploitation films. This is about as well-made as they get. Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

I definitely hope we get a chance to remove Animal House. I remember everyone on the Wolfpop forums wanting to vote neither on the Animal House vs. Revenge of the Nerds episode. I personally dislike both those movies.

Apart from that, I would definitely be cool with a Kevin Smith-free Canon.

• Like 1

Given the stakes (small), my general feeling is that a movie, once inducted, remains.

That said, I put forward re-Animator based only on the voting process itself.

• Like 3

I voted Re-Animator as well. There are other films on there that I like less (Anti-Christ, for example), but that's one where I really don't see the argument for it being a Canon film.

The only thing I'd warn against by canning Cannibal Holocaust is that we're gonna have to keep watching horrible, depraved movies until we get something representative of cannibal exploitation films. This is about as well-made as they get. Just something to keep in mind.

I haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust, but this is easily solved by inducting the phenomenal Texas Chain Saw Massacre into the canon.

I'm okay voting out Working Girl despite the diversity argument because it isn't even representative of women's voices, it's a fairly sexist Mike Nichols movie. Let's get in some (more?) Sofia Coppola, Ava Duvernay, Agnes Varda, Kelly Reichardt, Lina Wertmuller. Hell, while we're talking Nichols, let's get Elaine May!

• Like 3

I haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust, but this is easily solved by inducting the phenomenal Texas Chain Saw Massacre into the canon.

I'm okay voting out Working Girl despite the diversity argument because it isn't even representative of women's voices, it's a fairly sexist Mike Nichols movie. Let's get in some (more?) Sofia Coppola, Ava Duvernay, Agnes Varda, Kelly Reichardt, Lina Wertmuller. Hell, while we're talking Nichols, let's get Elaine May!

Cannibal Holocaust is, in my opinion, a much better, more impactful exploitation film. Also, it does have the advent of found footage going for it.

• Like 1

It for sure should be between CLERKS, RE-ANIMATOR, or CHI-RAQ

While I love CLERKS, it being a very formative movie for me in terms of who I am as a person and getting me interested in filmmaking (I'm from NJ and was around all of the places in Kevin Smith movies), it is not canon worthy. This is because every reason why is good is done first and better in SLACKER. SLACKER is the better of these two movies and the two accomplish the same thing. To have both in the canon doesn't feel right.

RE-ANIMATOR should get kicked out because of Amy's sound arguments during the episode. EVIL DEAD 2 is in the canon. It feels like treading the same ground (as mentioned above with CLERKS and SLACKER).

CHI-RAQ was one of the worst experiences I ever felt watching a movie I actually walked out of the theatre half way becuase I couldn't take it anymore. It was the movie I was most excited to see and had everything going towards it, but I feel like Spike Lee ruin his chance to make a great anti-gun/anti-war film. CREED didn't really deserve it either, but I'd love that a million times over instead of CHI-RAQ.

It for sure should be between CLERKS, RE-ANIMATOR, or CHI-RAQ

While I love CLERKS, it being a very formative movie for me in terms of who I am as a person and getting me interested in filmmaking (I'm from NJ and was around all of the places in Kevin Smith movies), it is not canon worthy. This is because every reason why is good is done first and better in SLACKER. SLACKER is the better of these two movies and the two accomplish the same thing. To have both in the canon doesn't feel right.

RE-ANIMATOR should get kicked out because of Amy's sound arguments during the episode. EVIL DEAD 2 is in the canon. It feels like treading the same ground (as mentioned above with CLERKS and SLACKER).

CHI-RAQ was one of the worst experiences I ever felt watching a movie I actually walked out of the theatre half way becuase I couldn't take it anymore. It was the movie I was most excited to see and had everything going towards it, but I feel like Spike Lee ruin his chance to make a great anti-gun/anti-war film. CREED didn't really deserve it either, but I'd love that a million times over instead of CHI-RAQ.

I will never understand you people who like Slacker. Not only is it not a good example of what it is, but I'd go so far as to call it a bad movie. It reminds me of a bad student film.

Also, I'm getting tired of this "We need to kick this movie out because this similar movie is still in here" argument, and we need to stop it unless we're going to be consistent. No one's calling to kick out Goodfellas because The Godfather is also in the canon, even though their both gangster movies about people spiraling downwards and losing what makes them human. There can be more than one similar movie if they're both significant versions of whatever they are.

• Like 1

Cannibal Holocaust is, in my opinion, a much better, more impactful exploitation film. Also, it does have the advent of found footage going for it.

I have nothing against Cannibal Holocaust's presence (again, haven't seen it!) but I also would say there's probably room for both.

Chi-Raq is FASCINATING, and there are incredible conversations to have about that film, but I'd have voted in Creed or Tangerine in over it if I'd been around to do so.

• Like 1

I think the "End of Year" and "Indulgence" movies deserve immunity.

• Like 4

I think it'd be interesting to kick one of the The Godfather films out. We have the first two parts. Which is the Godfather-iest of the Godfather saga.

• Like 2

I think the "End of Year" and "Indulgence" movies deserve immunity.

Eh, I don't see why indulgence picks deserve immunity. The indulgence is in the nominating. No one forces the audience to vote Yes.

• Like 2

No films should ever be removed from the Canon. There needs to be a certain weight behind the decision to vote Yes on something. If things can be removed, there will be more impulse Yes votes, knowing the decision could eventually be reversed. We don't all have to love every film in the Canon, they just represent films that a majority of people think deserve to live on for one reason or another.

• Like 1

I honestly think that Texas Chainsaw Massacre is too...traditionally-good, to represent exploitation film, anyway. The craft and tension-building is too well-done. Something like The Last House on the Left, which like Cannibal Holocaust is kinda goofy and amateurish, but still very visceral and powerful, would be closer to the mark, I think.

That's not to say we need to be rid of Cannibal Holocaust, mind. I'm very much for it remaining.

Though it'd be funny if it got booted out and the next week Devin brings out the great Umberto Lenzi head-to-head.

• Like 2

If things can be removed, there will be more impulse Yes votes, knowing the decision could eventually be reversed.

At this point, 79 films have been voted into The Canon so far across 95 episodes. I have a hard time believing that there's going to be any sort of noticeable increase in future "Yes" votes as a result of the knockout episode changing people's perception of The Canon's permanency. I don't think the "Second Chances" episode had any effect in that regard either.

By the host's own admission, the rules of The Canon have been malleable and arbitrary from the start.

• Like 2

Cannibal Holocaust is a Mondo film. Mondo films had been around since the early 60s. If anything, the movie was at the tail end of that genre's run. So the whole argument for the movie being ahead of the curve on the found footage thing is really hollow to me.

• Like 1

If Devin is indeed coming back- he should come back to settle this argument OR do a belated Best of 2016

I Stand By it

• Like 3