🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 3.3 — Concept & Content: Day 3

I totally get it (in hindsight). The fact that I'm not immersed in the UCB/alt/LA improv culture that Matt is means that this line of criticism was totally in my blind spot (as I said in the show). Matt was probably so freakin irritated that he had to sit through another "hack comedy parody" that he might've come off a little testy.
And hey, I somehow managed to not get eliminated.
I'm just hoping my "Barry the Plumbing Guy" sketch KILLS next week!

__Thanks to the creators, hosts, competitors, and even forum posters for being entertaining! I'm also glad people are taking all this seriously, despite the fact that it's about "comedy" and a "reality competition show." As a consumer, I appreciate anything that supports original content (specifically, GOOD content).
__I've read complaints about Matt Besser's low energy, but he's not doing a character or a sketch. He's being a host/director/coach with some great advice. I was also surprised at first by his comments about Brett's segment. I thought it was funny. I understood immediately that the initial jokes were supposed to bad/cliche, but I agree that the premise should be clear earlier. The judges comments make more sense after reading these forum posts.
__I was surprised that CGTE was eliminated. I wonder if the decision would have been different if Matt Besser and PFT weren't such fans of sketches and written/rehearsed content. Would guest judge Jimmy Pardo (who admits written and rehearsed routines aren't his M.O.) have made the same decision? Am I wrong to assume I know these guys and how they think? Probably. But I still wonder.
__I started listening to the challenge because Elizabeth Laime told me to. I intended to skip through to only TL segments, but you all sucked me in! The only shows I haven't been really impressed by yet are TVZ and F+. All the shows definitely have at least one new listener. Good luck to everyone, but since this is a competition, I have to say GO TOTALLY LAIME! (I'm not into sports, but that's an appropriate cheer, right?)

One of the interesting things about this show is it can really only work as a podcast. The podcast about podcasting only works as a podcast? Great point! But there really is a need for the "buy in" that podcasts require-- they don't have to keep re setting, or pumping up the energy every few minutes because the only way you can experience it is linearly. I think that skews the show towards being able to be actually helpful, while still being really entertaining. There's a behind the scenes element that doesn't have to be exaggerated too much for consumption.

I'm not sure losing this competition is such a bad thing, even if your not on the earwolf network, just getting two minutes of your content out to people who might otherwise of only read a 5 sentence description is pretty huge. Also, I'm guessing the earwolf challange audience are for the most part big podcast listeners who are looking for new content. You guys already started prepping for season 2?

Rocking the Suburbs is really good. I am also a huge fan of "The unauthorized biography of Reinhold Messner", though I just call it "Messner" for short. What did you think about the whole Ben Folds/Shatner collabo in '04? I mean the cover of "Common People" is great, but that song stands on its own. I just wiki´d Ben Folds and it turns out that he has been married four times. FOUR times!

Just a thought:
- Perhaps the judges should consider not automatically assuming they are dealing with rank amateurs just because they are not familiar with the contestents' podcasts.
- Sure, these contestants aren't exactly household names, but honestly, neither are some of the judges. They're all names in the comedy nerd world, but most don't go far beyond that.
- Some of these podcasts have just started, true, but others have been around for a good while now and have sizable followings. Some are even bigger than some of the shows on Earwolf & MaxFun (according to iTunes rankings & Facebook fans).
- Obviously, Earwolf is running the show, and there are many good reasons each of these contestants would want the chance to work with Jeff Ullrich & Scott Aukerman, but the host & judges need to stop treating the podcasters with anything less than the respect afforded to colleagues . . . remember, if the show has an existing fan base, that fan base is listening in, and you honestly insult all of us when you do that.

Brendan L here. I have to disagree with the last Brendan's comments above.
- I don't think the judges are assuming the contestants are rank amatuers.....if you remember they actually asked each show for both the show's longevity and also the member's comedy backgrounds in the first week. Furthermore, I don't ever get the feeling the judges/hosts are treating anyone with less respect than they deserve.
- From my perspective, the judges ARE household names...thats why they were asked to BE judges. Just because you potetially started listening to the challenge by way of a contestant, doesn't mean that they are as familiar with the general podcast listener. I haven't really watched much "Last Comic Standing", but I think there are some comparisons to be made between the structure of the contestents/judges. I rarely know the contestants of the show, but I always am familiar with the judges/host...even though they might not be HUGE mainstream comedy names. In addition, the contestants aren't usually "rank amateurs" either. Most have been in the game for awhile and just haven't gotten that little boost to get to the next fame tier.
= Scott - to comment on Ben Folds....I'm usually the last person to cheer for bad stuff to happen to good people, but damn it makes for great song material. Since he got somewhat famous, less bad stuff has happened to him...i.e. he needs to more juice. Sometimes I dream of going to get an abortion with a girl I tolerate on a cold morning just to see if I can be emotionally scared enough to create magic. (Tongue firmly planted into married man's cheek)
:Brendan L

While it's refreshing to know that Brendan L also has an opinion on the matter, not only do I not recant, but I've checked with the High Order & Council of Brendans International, and he has been summarily expelled. I'm afraid he'll need to go by "Brandon" henceforth.

-To respond to this statement: "I don't ever get the feeling the judges/hosts are treating anyone with less respect than they deserve".

-I dunno - one of the "notes" Brett got was basically "rather than hating your character you made us hate you". Brett doesn't get angry after this, responds in a totally professional manner, and then gets lectured on how to "take a note", not only for this podcast but also as a life lesson. Give me a break. Besser said that it made him "bristle" that Brett didn't even listen to the note. It makes me bristle that Besser is just assuming that Brett wasn't listening. This wasn't like a rehearsal where Brett got to do additional material after getting feedback and keeps on making the same mistake over and over again. Basically, he got one shot to do the assigned challenge, critiqued on it, and then "judged" for too much push-back on the critique.
-That said, I will repeat my sentiment that I think a healthy give and take is likely to be more interesting to listen to than everyone too worried about offending someone. I really don't want Day 3 of the podcast challenge to turn into sports interviews with athletes, where they respond with the most boring platitudes possible, because there is only a downside to saying something the least bit controversial.

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the Earwolf Challenge so far, and I hope they continue to do a Top 3 each week in addition to the bottom 3. It makes the third episodes a more positive listening experience. Jesse and Paul were great judges, Matt Besser is a really supportive host and I'm learning a lot. Thanks!

Oho, looks like they're fans of the Brettster!
Can I call you the Brettster? Probably not. Sorry Mr Hamil.

I was disappointed with the result here, I'm planning to seek out Complete Guide to hear more of them regardless of this, but episodes 2 and 3 of this week were just phenomenal. It's like I'm auditing a master class in podcasting. I'm combining Matt's comments on 1-in-100 audience members and the feedback from Paul and Jesse on audio quality to re-level each and every one of my podcast episodes before my upcoming pledge drive. I've come around to the fact that it's worth it. Even to win back the one person in a hundred who's an audiophile.
In response to the shows, I have a very visceral reaction to negativity in podcasts, which I think will keep me from ever listening to a few of these shows, from what I've heard. I just don't like listening to people being shitty to each other. It has no appeal for me whatsoever. There are even some Brett Gelman moments on CDR/CBB, which while I know they're fake and fun, I get uncomfortable with it. That's just me. I like Ben Folds, so I'm probably a pussy. Like Scott.
Lastly, huge kudos to the people in this thread. Opinionated and civil. But I could do with about four dozen fewer Brendans.

it's time to be a dick time. I 'm not sure Hamil is this kind of master of many voices that would be required to carry a whole show. you have a few very distinct voices but then alot of ones where you rely on effects to create variation. its almost like "okay I can pitch down my voice for effect. lets see, he can be a black stereo type kinda character". have you considered widening the cast to take some of the burden of generating new characters/voice styles? other wise you would have to have the voice proficciency of say, a Paul F. Tompkins to pull something like this off.

yeah, in retrospect that was quite dickish. especially considering your current standing in the competition (I wrote this right before hearing your elimination). but if you could expand your cast that would be a great service to the pod. good luck.

True, Mark. I guess I just think it would help to unburden himself of some of the responsibility if he had help. I'm sure any number of people would like to hitch themselves to a pod that already has so many good thing going for it.

I stopped listening to this podcast after the Mark Maron episodes. I liked his WTF podcast but he was such a crabby git on this he put me in a bad mood. It seemed as though the judges could've done with a coaching session tbh. I don't like that some of the judges have been guests on some of the competitors podcasts either. "I've been a guest on their show...I like these guys". Really? Doesn't sound quite impartial enough for me.

How many times did the judges tell Tom and Tim that they loved the concept. And then T&T lose the concept challenge? And the beauty of their content is the rapport that they have with each other. Really disappointed in PFT and Jesse for their decision here. I love Totally Laime, and the Little Dum Dum club, but the only one of these podcasts I listen to every single week is TCGTE.

You seriously picked apes that eat dicks and that endless hackey comedy sketch over TCGTE? Unbelievable.

How many times did the judges tell Tom and Tim that they loved the concept. And then T&T lose the concept challenge? And the beauty of their content is the rapport that they have with each other. Really disappointed in PFT and Jesse for their decision here. I love Totally Laime, and the Little Dum Dum club, but the only one of these podcasts I listen to every single week is TCGTE.

You seriously picked apes that eat dicks and that endless hackey comedy sketch over TCGTE? Unbelievable.

Sign in to follow this