🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GregGrunge

Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2010)

Holy crapballs this movie was completely ridiculous, yet infinitely awesome in it's ridiculousness... Definitely needs to be discussed on the podcast. Now available on Netflix instant. So insane, hope to hear it discussed.

Too soft of a target. It would be like pointing at a retarded person and laughing at their wardrobe

I know it was shot down earlier, but Birdemic: Shock and Terror is not on Netflix streaming.

Favorite quote from a review, "“If this is a joke, it’s the JFK assassination of jokes.” – Vice

Yes, it's shooting the developmentally challenged in a barrel, but still there is a charm and naivete to it that is just worth looking at.

Even if it's not used on the show, I HIGHLY recommend Paul Scheer watch it if he hasn't already.

Good lord, this movie doesn't have WTF moments; the entire thing is one giant WTF. It is the perfect example of how not to make a film. The writing, editing, sound design, CGI "effects", acting and plot all miss the mark by a landslide. It was made for $10,000 but looks even cheaper. The story of how it got made and became midnight movie fodder is quite interesting, more so than the movie itself. But don't worry, there are countless shots of a shiny blue Mustang! Oh yeah, and some birds.

There is no movie worse than this one. No way. It might actually be TOO bad to make a good episode. They've done their best discussions on movies that manage to string together some coherence which make the WTF moments pop so much. This movie has nothing....I repeat NOTHING redeeming. It's amazing!

Nah, Birdemic reeks of a knowing, winking, hipster behind it hoping to create/cash in on the same kind of "midnight madness" appeal that The Room has.
That's why it fails -- it doesn't have a genuine brilliant/insane talent(lessness) behind it like a Tommy Wiseau or a Joe Eszterhas.

I just watched this tonight. Holy Balls! I need to hear this film reviewed.

If you look at the trailer for this guys other movie, the romance part is really similar. I have every belief he inteded this to be serious, but when it came out so bad he just made lemonade.
I think this is my new favorite best worst movie. Bad writing (dialogue), bad acting, bad cinematography, bad effects, bad score.

I like how the first 45 minutes in no way drives the story. I like how the audio fluctuates a lot, and the artistic decision they made at some points to just have no audio at all. All the random scenes like the 5 minute montage of the protagonist driving to work. Oh, hell there is so much in this film to make fun of, could be a 3-4 hour episode.

I have seen this movie many times and I for one, love it. Every aspect of this movie is insanely ridiculous, the score, the cinematography, and the dialogue are clearly the works of someone who has never seen a movie before. Although, my favorite part of the movie is the lead actor. it seems to me that he is an alien robot who landed on earth and was given five minutes to learn how to act like a human. he does not even walk like a human. i also like how subtle the messages about the dangers of global warming are= sarcasm. Even looking past the CGI, this movie in essence is awful. i have seen all the classics in the running for "the best worst movie" but this is truly the best-worst movie ever made. it's Great!

I couldn't even sit through this movie. This movie is unbelievably bad. And while there are some moments that must be seen( everyone must at one point experience the levitating kamikaze eagles) it's not good-bad like the room. Still might make an alright episode though.

I don't know why it hasn't been reviewed on the show yet but you can't have a podcast discussing bad movies without discussing undoubtly the worst attempt at cinema I have ever seen in my life.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror

In this movie I learn that birds are attacking humanity because they are pissed about global warming and also that birds hitting into buildings will cause an explosion of fire.

watched it a few years ago.

absolutely godawful movie. if you can get your hands on it, don't.

here were my viewing notes. includes spoilers.

Cyrus Ghahremani October 30, 2009 at 4:14pm
rundown of birdemic fails

- awful 30 second loop repeating for intro score
- jerky tripod action throughout
- audio cuts when video cuts
- awful cuts all the time actually
- music sounds a lot like "the room"
- awful montage of protagonist in traffic to victory music
- each line of dialogue necessitates a shot change to the next speaker's face
- uncomfortably long shots of things like storefronts
- modeling montage of beautiful girl in awful clothes
- "hey so how about dinner, at a vietnamese restaurant?" "sounds delicious, i'll see you then." (end of conversation)
- so much soft lens, i'm going to puke (this is accentuated by occasional godawful green screen work)
- aforementioned vietnamese restaurant is in a chinese strip mall
- uncomfortably long shots of things like walls and doors
- almost all of the slow pans (there are many) are left to right
- every actor talks like english is their second language
- 22 minutes in: first appearance of cgi birds, which float stationary in the sky like a screensaver
- there are occasional awkward long passes of video without sound
- sometimes the actors pause in place as if to say wait for "cut"
- 28 minutes in: uncomfortably long applause montage (i can't put this to words really)
- uncomfortably long shots of things like parking lots
- 37:30 - two takes of a scene are shown one after another
- 38:30 - gigantic dead cgi bird
- 42:00 - musical number, awful bar singer, only the 2 protagonists dancing
- i hate this movie and i want to die
- 45:30 - awkward shot of feet rubbing together
- 45:40 - THE BIRDEMIC TRAILER = UNEDITED MONTAGE FROM HERE
- 46:00 - so many of the 3d birds are floating in place
- 47:00 - morning after: they woke up more clothed than when they went to bed
- 50:20 - "we need something to protect ourselves". coat hangers?
- 50:40 - the gang fights 3d stationary floating birds with coat hangers.
- 51:40 - oh ok, the protagonists' new friends are casual owners of ak47s
- 53:30 - same bird sample used throughout
- this happens a lot: a shot of a huge flock of screaming 3d hawks has an abrupt cut to one of the dudes shooting a gun, then an abrupt cut to one silent hawk being shot and falling
- this movie should have been called "Guns vs Eagles" or "Oh No, Birds!"
- 59:00 - despite the birdemic at hand, the gang has a fucking picnic
- 61:00 - plot revealed (to uplifting synth cello) that global warming has ruined the food sources that birds usually have and that is why they're crazy now. but this does not really explain why they explode / combust sometimes
- 63:00 - "where's becky?" "she's taking a shit. hey, how come you're not a marine anymore?" "i got tired of all the killing. why can't we give peace a chance?" -> abrupt cut to becky popping a squat / getting attacked by a hawk
- i hate birds
- 65:00 - "the eagles killed becky!" ... i hate the fucking eagles mannnnn
- 67:50 - was that bird piss? bird acid? what the hell is going on here?
- birds make the most fucking annoying sounds ever
- 72:00 - wow. AVIAN JUSTICE.
- 73:00 - yeah just leave behind the $100/gallon gasoline
- 79:00 - the music is never a good indication of the scene's mood
- 83:00 - there are constantly sounds of cars going by, when they're supposed to be rather deserted / on their own.
- 87:00 - uncomfortable fishing / picnic montage.
- 89:40 - wait, what the hell kind of space gun is that?
- 92:00 - incredibly long, uncomfortable shot of birds flying away
- goes right to credits. nothing ever gets resolved. the birds fly away and everything is assumed happily ever after.

i would like to footnote this by saying

everything in my write-up is exactly as it happened and i used quotation marks for a reason

My friend, Adam Sessa, is in this movie. He would totally be on the podcast to talk about it, but he's actually leaving the country soon. You could probably get the female lead, she works at comic book conventions and stuff. Would she be that hard to get a hold of?

Watching this.... thing... now.

Wait wait, she got a modeling job at 1 Hour photo???

WTF was this shot by university students??, this cant be real, the birds like their annimated using a gameboy.

im so pumped for this episode now, holy shit.

Not a comedy... TRY to watch without laughing. Who in their right mind funded this film?! 😂

Sign in to follow this