🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ThomasMariani

Future of the Show?

So in case you weren't aware of the last 24 hours, this happened: http://www.dailydot.com/irl/devin-faraci-twitter-accusation/?fb=dd

A lot seems to be up in the air in terms of the future of Birth Movies Death and other projects Devin was involved with, including The Canon. I'm not expecting answers over night, but there's a genuine question for anyone here: does this affect your ability to be engaged with the show anymore? Would you prefer Devin not be involved and have Amy try continuing this with someone else? Or does this just need to be canned altogether? Keep in mind that this should hopefully be a semi-civil discussion if we're going to have it at all.

I for one love the format but would be more comfortable with hearing Amy talk with other film writers. I personally don't feel interested in hearing Devin anymore on the show. But what about the rest of you fans? This is a time for discussion... if this thread isn't removed by a moderator shortly after posting.

• Like 3

I would simply like to say that I have no intention of listening while Devin is still hosting. Should Earwolf or Amy like to continue the show without Devin, I would be interested in that pursuit. I like this show, this community, and am sad at the idea of saying goodbye to it, but I have no expectation that things must change, regardless of whether or not I would like them to change.

• Like 1

I really don't think this is an appropriate topic for us to be discussing at this time.

Really? You don't think the future of the show without one of the cohosts isn't an appropriate thing to discuss on the message board for the show? Why bother having a message board?

Really? You don't think the future of the show without one of the cohosts isn't an appropriate thing to discuss on the message board for the show? Why bother having a message board?

I don't think it's appropriate to discuss such a sensitive matter without giving Devin a chance to say whatever it is he wants to say.

I don't think it's appropriate to discuss such a sensitive matter without giving Devin a chance to say whatever it is he wants to say.

People aren't here saying "Burn him!" or speculating about his private life. They're talking about the future of the show, which is pretty relevant and appropriate to this forum.

• Like 1

Whatever happens,

I'd like Amy and a cohost (whoever it will be) to continue the show.

• Like 2

People aren't here saying "Burn him!" or speculating about his private life. They're talking about the future of the show, which is pretty relevant and appropriate to this forum.

Agreed. So long as we maintain respect and keep to the rules of these forums, and so long as no one expect that anybody involved in the making of this podcast take any opinion, majority or minority, as mandate, this seems like the place to discuss this.

I trust Earwolf and those involved in the production to make the right decision regarding their podcast, even if it means I will be leaving its audience.

The fact that "Earwolf Admin" started the Face in the Crowd thread and not Devin seems odd.

I gotta say... man, this whole thing has bummed me out. I love The Canon. Amy and Devin have great synergy, they have a great dynamic- a Canon without Devin doesn't click with me.

But I'd understand why there wouldn't be one after today. It's understandable and massively depressing, on so many levels.

• Like 5

The fact that "Earwolf Admin" started the Face in the Crowd thread and not Devin seems odd.

Now that y'all mention it, I noticed Devin also hasn't tweeted since earlier yesterday (and it looks like he usually tweets a lot). Also it seems Birth.Movies.Death hasn't updated since yesterday as well.

Now that y'all mention it, I noticed Devin also hasn't tweeted since earlier yesterday (and it looks like he usually tweets a lot). Also it seems Birth.Movies.Death hasn't updated since yesterday as well.

I hear both Devin and the site are offline while this whole thing is investigated.

I think for the time being all we can do is amplify the voices of anybody else coming forward with personal stories, and make sure that people feel safe to share them.

• Like 5

I'm also waiting for more info, but I read the twitter exchange and it really bummed me out, I couldn't finish listening to today's episode, not out of moral outrage or indignation (who knows what actually happened?) but I just felt uneasy... I'd keep listening to the show if things are cleared publicly and he is innocent... or, worst case scenario, if Amy kept it going on her own.

The other BMD folks are pretty silent on Twitter too. I'm thinking there are a lot of talks going on behind the scenes right now.

I will certainly await more information and statements from the involved parties.

I believe in empathy and understanding for victims, and I also believe in forgiveness and rehabilitation for perpetrators. Sometimes it can be difficult reconciling these two things when there is strong emotion involved (on both sides), but I'm troubled by both the silencing of victims ("It's in the past, let it go, it was such-and-such years ago, she's lying" etc.) as well as moral grandstanding against people who committed a crime ("What a hypocrite, once a bad person always a bad person, I knew all along he was a piece of shit, I told you so" etc.).

I can't speak to anything more than my general feelings on the treatment of others based on my own experiences. I just hope those who have been sexaully assaulted can continue to feel safe to talk about their experience and heal, and that those who have committed assault can confront the vileness of their actions, do whatever they can to offer amends, and change.

I hope The Canon will continue.

• Like 12

I will certainly await more information and statements from the involved parties.

I believe in empathy and understanding for victims, and I also believe in forgiveness and rehabilitation for perpetrators. Sometimes it can be difficult reconciling these two things when there is strong emotion involved (on both sides), but I'm troubled by both the silencing of victims ("It's in the past, let it go, it was such-and-such years ago, she's lying" etc.) as well as moral grandstanding against people who committed a crime ("What a hypocrite, once a bad person always a bad person, I knew all along he was a piece of shit, I told you so" etc.).

I can't speak to anything more than my general feelings on the treatment of others based on my own experiences. I just hope those who have been sexaully assaulted can continue to feel safe to talk about their experience and heal, and that those who have committed assault can confront the vileness of their actions, do whatever they can to offer amends, and change.

I hope The Canon will continue.

Probably the best take on this whole thing so far.

• Like 1

I'm impressed with the level of maturity on this thread overall. This post especially:

At present this makes me uneasy, and I will put off listening to the new episode for now.

Certainly Devin's bullying style is often a turn-off. There is a line between good-natured sparring and bullying, and Devin crosses that line on a fairly regular basis. When he does so he degrades himself and the show. If the allegations are true, I feel that any contrition would be incomplete without reflecting on and working to change those bullying tendencies. From the standpoint of a listener, I would find it even harder to overlook that behavior when it happens on the show.

All this aside, I really like Devin on the show, I think he and Amy do have great chemistry and I enjoy their disagreements (when Devin is not being nasty) as well as episodes when they harmoniously agree. They're well balanced for me in that I never know which one I'll agree with. They're both insightful but often in different ways, and that's interesting.

Hypothetically, if Devin left the show, I would be interested in a continuation with Amy and a different co-host.

... Who else could fill Devin's shoes? And would Amy herself even want to replace him to keep the show going?

I'm quite angry at the response this has gotten. I do realize this is the internet and everything, but so many people believe this tweet without any sort of evidence towards it being the truth. Give the guy a benefit of the doubt, please.

It's also hard to read text posts on the internet and interpret if they have any sort of sarcasm or not. When I read Devin's post, I thought it was a sarcastic "wow, a person on the internet accused me of sexual assault, I should totally believe you and apologize." That's only my read. However, tons of people are reading it that Devin assaults people so much that he can't even remember this specific assault. I'm extremely frustrated by this, because we have not a single grain of evidence defending either side and it pisses me off that people are already taking sides on this. The only reason I'm defending Devin is because I haven't seen anyone else doing that, and after listening to the show for a while I like Devin a lot. He seems like a nice dude. So once we hear more information about this, THEN we're free to judge. Until that time, please do not hate either side. I just hope the information comes out soon because I know that if Devin is innocent, his life is going to be absolute shit right now.

• Like 2

I'm quite angry at the response this has gotten. I do realize this is the internet and everything, but so many people believe this tweet without any sort of evidence towards it being the truth. Give the guy a benefit of the doubt, please.…

When I read Devin's post, I thought it was a sarcastic "wow, a person on the internet accused me of sexual assault, I should totally believe you and apologize." That's only my read…

Well, sarcasm would be a pretty bad reaction to an accusation like that. I read Devin's response as sincere.

When people say they've been assaulted, that always has to be taken seriously. Most people would not make such an accusation falsely because 1. it can easily feel very personal, revealing, even embarrassing, and 2. you're likely to get negative attention from it. As a culture we've got to handle accusations of sexual assault carefully, and not shame people who speak up. It's not only about the alleged incident, but about other people who have received abuse feeling that it's safe for them to speak up if they want to.

All that said, we shouldn't 100% jump to conclusions. And we haven't heard anything from Devin other than his tweet. That's why, per P. Cheesesteak's question above, I feel it's premature and disrespectful to Devin to start tossing around names of prospective replacements.

I want to add that The Canon is my favorite podcast of the past year, I enjoy it a lot and I wish the best for the people who make it.

• Like 6

I've always had a difficult time articulating my curiosity in the possibility of the accuser simply lying, but your take really helped.