🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ThomasMariani

Future of the Show?

Oh cool, another blanket label used to describe people who have a different opinion than you.

Uh...

SJW

• Like 6

Because after nearly a hundred episodes of this podcast, everyone on this forum has been called a racist, homophobic, misogynist because they voted differently on a movie than Devin did?

Sure pal.

And I'd argue that this place exists in a vacuum where he has a vested interest in not stirring up the shit he does everywhere.

Guys I don't want the podcast to end either, but this isn't just a host leaving; this is an extremely nasty scandal. People have to think about what it means for their careers to be associated with it in any way. Who wants to be the new co-host of a podcast after something like that? Who wants to try to continue on after 97 episodes as though nothing happened? How many listeners are they going to lose no matter what they do?

I think Amy has an extremely bright future, but if she continues with this concept it might be better to just start over with a new podcast. But there's also a strong chance that it's just over.

It's really awful guys, but I think that's the reality of the situation.

A lot of this podcast is shaped around the listeners and the community here. The Canon will survive and no one's career is gonna be damaged by being associated with it, it's not like Devin did all this on Canon facilities with Canon staff -- it's not a Penn State situation.

EDIT: Not to compare Devin to Sandusky and Paterno, true monsters.

• Like 1

I am not an Earwolf employee and I am not in any capacity commenting on Earwolf's behalf. That said, as the person who performs most of the janitorial service around here, I have appreciated the civil and humane tone of this conversation.

Don't go fucking it up now.

• Like 4

Guys, looking at this from another angle (and still maintaining that Devin is sets the tone for what this podcast became), take a look at the Wiki for the Canon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Canon_episodes

So. Many. Movies. Voted. In.

Maybe this is a project that needs some rotation, if only so we don't have so many automatic locks for entry.

More liminal movies, fewer "classics"!

So, in the event that this forum is abandoned, where else do all y'all talk movies? I post on the HDTGM forum here on Earwolf, a little bit on reddit/r/truefilm, and have a Letterboxd. I rarely post on AV Club or BMD because the communities are so large; I've enjoyed the intimacy of smaller forums like this one, which has had some incredibly articulate and thoughtful commenters. I'd be sad to see this go.

• Like 6

So, in the event that this forum is abandoned, where else do all y'all talk movies? I post on the HDTGM forum here on Earwolf, a little bit on reddit/r/truefilm, and have a Letterboxd. I rarely post on AV Club or BMD because the communities are so large; I've enjoyed the intimacy of smaller forums like this one, which has had some incredibly articulate and thoughtful commenters. I'd be sad to see this go.

can a poster like me get ur letterboxd?

Guys, looking at this from another angle (and still maintaining that Devin is sets the tone for what this podcast became), take a look at the Wiki for the Canon: https://en.wikipedia..._Canon_episodes

So. Many. Movies. Voted. In.

Maybe this is a project that needs some rotation, if only so we don't have so many automatic locks for entry.

More liminal movies, fewer "classics"!

I take the premise of the show lightly, the main reason I listen to this podcast is for the intelligent discussion on interesting and classic movies. I ultimately don't care too much about what does and doesn't get "Canonised". But it is/was a fun spin for a movie based podcast to stand out from so many others.

• Like 1

A person can be a jerk, an asshole, or a bully and not sexually assault someone (and vice-versa), so I'm not going to grab a pitchfork for that particular witch-hunt.

I'm conflicted because the Devin I'm familiar with (starting with The Canon and from there Birth.Movies.Death.) was sometimes a jerk/asshole/bully whom I often disagreed with, but also a smart, insightful writer on cinema who frequently espoused pro-feminist, pro-LGBT, anti-racist causes (all of which will be tainted now, but that's how it goes). So learning about his past and his transgressions is total whiplash for me, to say the least...

That being said, it seems Devin has owned up, and the victim - no question the protagonist here - I'm sure lives with a pain and scars I'll never understand, but at the very least seems to have come to an "amicable" (not sure if there's even a good word for it) conclusion with those involved, and seems ready to move on. I'll do the same.

That being said, I'm also 100% on-board with an Amy-led Canon if she's up for it, but totally understand if not. To end on a positive note, check out Amy's Skillset podcast. It's fantastic.

Well said. I've done things in my life that I'm not proud of (nothing on the level of what Devin has been accused of) and I've made an effort to be a better person. I've been a bully and have said terrible misogynistic things but then I gained insight and I like to think I'm a much better person today than I was back then, but I'm still working on it. Even so, I'm also a coward because I've never apologized for those awful things that I said and did, I think about them frequently and I feel terrible about it but I can't bring myself to apologize because talking about it makes it feel more real to me somehow, and I don't want those things to be real because I'm ashamed. So instead I just live with this guilt and try to do my best going forward. I imagine there are a lot of people out there who feel terrible for the things they've done and just want to find some sort of redemption. Do they deserve redemption? How long before we're willing to accept them as a person again? Maybe their victims are the only ones who get to make that judgement.

• Like 1

I take the premise of the show lightly, the main reason I listen to this podcast is for the intelligent discussion on interesting and classic movies. I ultimately don't care too much about what does and doesn't get "Canonised". But it is/was a fun spin for a movie based podcast to stand out from so many others.

Yeah. My personal Canon is really different from the show's.

Listening the podcast is more just an excuse to revisit movies worth watching then seeing all the great conversation the movie spurs, both in the podcast and on the forum.

I, uh... wrote a thing about Faraci and the Canon. Just needed to express my personal feelings about all this, and I thought I could share them with you guys.

I apologize for the length.

• Like 5

I apologize for my earlier comment. In no way is my bullshit opinion considered enough for voicing it in public. It was kneejerk and I apologize.

Yeah.

• Like 1

Not about you. I stand by that.

I was referring to the Twitter post. Couldn't care less about what you said earlier. That's why I didn't reference your follow up in any way.

I'm open to new episodes but it'll definitely be strange initially. It will also totally depend on who the co-host is and the dynamic he or she will have with Amy but this is an Earwolf show and it certainly isn't like there is a shortage of talent out there to choose from.

Well, I've held off thus far. I...have nothing to say, mostly because this has nothing to do with me. Everyone who knows Devin has decided to pull back until they've figured out what to do, and I totally get them.

The 100th episode is clearly on hiatus for now. The future of the show...I don't know. I don't want to hate Devin...so I won't.

I'll just check in on Amy's Twitter once a day until I get an "all-clear", or some sort of meaningful information about all this. I'm still very bummed out by all this, but, again, it has nothing to do with me, so I'll try not to drag myself into it.

Next week, next month, whatever. I'm used to podcasts coming to sudden ends. And to, eventually, many months later, check back in with them, and discover there are ten new episodes.

It's a Great Big World out there. No need to focus our stress on this matter. Let us just wait for those closely-involved in this mess to figure out what to do for themselves. Then, in time, we can re-engage as Canon fans. Whatever that may mean at the time.

• Like 3

can a poster like me get ur letterboxd?

I've just been lurking on the forums since they switched over, but I need some more people on letterboxd to follow.

I'm http://letterboxd.com/mrbs/

For what it's worth, a word for the person who pointed out Devin's alleged actions. It cannot be easy to come out and point a finger at a man who has accrued a good and powerful rep over the years since the alleged event. I am using the word 'alleged' very deliberately, as there doesn't seem to have been a definite investigation and/or admission of guilt; but I also cannot see why someone would come out and shame a well-known film critic.

Also, a word for Amy and the rest of the people working with Devin; it must be really difficult for them to see what's been happening.

Whatever happens,

I'd like Amy and a cohost (whoever it will be) to continue the show.

This.

• Like 1