🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ThomasMariani

Future of the Show?

I know that Earwolf's tweet said "we hope that future episodes will happen" but I wouldn't take that as confirmation. I doubt Amy will continue under The Canon brand, and she probably shouldn't. I guess I'll keep checking this forum for a while, but it seems unlikely that activity will continue without a podcast.

Look at me!

http://letterboxd.com/catandbeard/

• Like 5

The show shouldn't continue without Devin. I LOVE Amy and have found her quite friendly and interactive on social media, but the fact of the matter is that until this point Devin has handled most of the 'on-air' nuts and bolts of the show. He does the intro every week, he handles the ads, does the wrap-up. I'm not saying that any of this means she somehow doesn't deserve to run the show, but it would be a jarring change. The Canon would always have a cloud hanging over it. "For the first ninety-three episodes it was one way, and then some very pleasant things came out online, and ever since then the show has been this other way." For the rest of its existence, The Canon would be marred by this unpleasantness. Honestly, I hope the show can continue as-is someday, but I don't know how realistic a hope that is.

edit: I made this post before I read the tweet from Earwolf saying they're parting ways with Devin.

... it would be a jarring change. The Canon would always have a cloud hanging over it. "For the first ninety-three episodes it was one way, and then some very pleasant things came out online, and ever since then the show has been this other way." For the rest of its existence, The Canon would be marred by this unpleasantness. Honestly, I hope the show can continue as-is someday, but I don't know how realistic a hope that is.

Reference "Top Gear"

I just saw the tweet about Earwolf and Devin parting ways. Well, shit! I guess I hope they do continue the show without him. I would miss Amy if they didn't.

There's not more that I can say at this point. This show was very important to me as a film fan and writer. I had come to admire Amy and Devin. And I love all the great conversations I've had with all of you.

The Canon had inspired me to write on film, I'd love if some of you would check it out, I hope this is the just the beginning of something: http://www.cinelinx.com/contributors/itemlist/user/4248-collinllewellyn.html there's a link to my three articles so far.

And here's my letterboxd for those sharing: http://letterboxd.com/C_Llewellyn

Thank you to Earwolf, Amy and Devin for the great podcast. Thank you to all my friends here for the great conversations.

• Like 1

I feel like I was a little late to The Canon party, but I have had a blast catching up with the library and keeping up with the new ones.

This is quite the bombshell and I can't add much to what has already been said until I process it more and see what the players say/do in the future. I wish all those involved the best.

Is this a cue for continued discussion of separating the art from the artist?

For now, I will continue to catch up with the canon of The Canon and will keep checking here, Twitter and other sources for news on the situation.

Regardless of what comes next, I want to thank Devin and Amy for all the great episodes, and the entertaining and engaging movie discussions.

Since others have shared, I am on Letterboxd: http://letterboxd/filmfanman

It's been fun, everyone. I'll catch you on the flip side.

The irony of The Canon going down with a bunch of Letterboxd posts given Devin's hatred of the site seems bittersweet.

What didn't he like about it? Seems pretty innocuous to me.

I only just discovered it via this thread (appears I've been living under a rock) and thought it was a neat way to keep track of everything I watch. This year I've been trying to keep track via Notes on my iPad but I'll either forget to add something or not have it by my side. I've been so busy this year that when a friend asks what I've seen lately or recommend I almost always forget or say something I saw 6 months earlier that I thought was only a few weeks ago.

I don't comment much in the forums, ironically I replied more on the awful layout that was the Wolfpop forums. But I listen to the show every week and read/enjoy what you guys have to say but feel terribly out of my depth and knowledge base when I see some of the replies.

But I did setup and account a couple of hours ago: http://letterboxd.com/NickSievers/

It seems likely they may also have some unreleased episodes already recorded "in the bank", so I wonder what the future will hold for those, if they exist.

I would still like to listen to those episodes.

What didn't he like about it? Seems pretty innocuous to me.

I only just discovered it via this thread (appears I've been living under a rock) and thought it was a neat way to keep track of everything I watch. This year I've been trying to keep track via Notes on my iPad but I'll either forget to add something or not have it by my side. I've been so busy this year that when a friend asks what I've seen lately or recommend I almost always forget or say something I saw 6 months earlier that I thought was only a few weeks ago.

I don't comment much in the forums, ironically I replied more on the awful layout that was the Wolfpop forums. But I listen to the show every week and read/enjoy what you guys have to say but feel terribly out of my depth and knowledge base when I see some of the replies.

But I did setup and account a couple of hours ago: http://letterboxd.com/NickSievers/

Yeah, I can't really understand what he would have against outside of some tweets he has regarding getting annoyed about seeing Letterboxd reviews on his Twitter.

Either way, been on Letterboxd for about 4 years now:

http://letterboxd.com/samsanch3z/

Yeah, I can't really understand what he would have against outside of some tweets he has regarding getting annoyed about seeing Letterboxd reviews on his Twitter.

I think that was pretty much the whole reason. He sometimes remarked that the people who were most annoying to him on "Film Twitter" typically had Letterboxd accounts (which at this point -- for a film buff -- is basically like having a Facebook account, but I'm not sure he knew that).

It's a bit like his reasoning for disliking anime . . . because people with anime avatars tended to be annoying on Twitter. Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Man it's crazy hearing A Face in the Crowd where D&A are discussing personal legacies; separating artist from art. Listening to it right now has created the weirdest vibe.

• Like 2

Man it's crazy hearing A Face in the Crowd where D&A are discussing personal legacies; separating artist from art. Listening to it right now has created the weirdest vibe.

And the stuff about one's career being destroyed by a tweet....

This show means a lot to me. I've been going through a difficult time and I've been listening to the archives pretty much nonstop to feel better. I also read the Mary Sue which is where I heard about this. I usually am amused when they go after people that are accused of sexual abuse, but now I see the whole thing as sad and that maybe I should think twice about misery as entertainment. That lady is a person and Devin is a person. People are complex. It seems like he gave up something that means a lot to him because he was worried that he hurt someone. From what I read, she wished him well in the end. I wish him well too. But don't go anywhere, please.

• Like 3

I was in the middle of listening to it as I learned about the sexual assault allegation. It was surreal.

I usually am amused when they go after people that are accused of sexual abuse, but now I see the whole thing as sad and that maybe I should think twice about misery as entertainment.

How the accused responds is a big part of this. Devin didn't put up a fight, just resigned from his positions and that was that. It's harder to feel much glee at the man's fall when he just steps down and accepts it.

At some point (it's probably too soon right now) I'd like to read or hear Devin's thoughts on this whole thing. NOT because I want to diminish the victim's story, but because I'm curious and looking to understand it on all sides: Does he really not remember the incident? Does he believe it anyway because he knows he's gotten up to bad behavior before? Was he trying to better himself or had this kind of thing continued to the present day? Was his public dedication to feminist issues a way of compensating?

• Like 6

Just in case nobody saw it, there's a letterboxd list of all The Canon movies (discussed, not approved… but let's face it, that's pretty much the same thing).

I can't and won't listen to any show he is involved with or seek out his writing. You are entitled to your opinion if you disagree, but I am strictly against supporting the creative output of abusers.

• Like 1