🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 145.5 - Minisode 145.5

Dreamcatcher related question for y'all: Does anyone know any guys in their (presumably) 30s that still call each other by their childhood nicknames on a regular basis?

Their behavior is that of stunted children. They make every bad choice possible and behave like 9 year olds the entire crisis. You can't not grab your dirty tooth picks off the shit covered bloody floor long enough to not be murdered by the toilet monster? You deserve to die. YOU ALL DESERVE TO DIE!

• Like 4

Also, the most sincerely disgusting scene in this movie is when Jason Lee sticks his slobber-covered finger into the peanut butter over and over again, using it as a shovel to fill his gross mouth, as if it's a normal human thing to do.

Really? More so than him taking a tooth pick off the bloody shit covered bathroom floor of a forest cabin and putting it in his fucking mouth?

• Like 3

Book readers - could you please let me know how the ending of the movie is different from the book's?

Duddits is not an alien in the book, and the ending is him mentally sending the Thomas Jane character's mind into the memory wharehouse of Jonesy so that they can kill Mr.Grey who is in a weakened state inside there. They then move back to their separate bodies to find that Duddits died from a combination of his illness and overusing his powers and that the Sizemore and Freeman characters had killed each other in a gunfight.

The whole alien thing with Duddits was batshit insane and is maybe the biggest diverging from the source material of a King adaptation since The Lawnmower Man and the original Shining.

• Like 3

Dreamcatcher related question for y'all: Does anyone know any guys in their (presumably) 30s that still call each other by their childhood nicknames on a regular basis?

It's not much off a nickname like "Beaver" in this movie but most of my childhood friends when they talk to me or write me, they still call me "Bert" which is just a shortening of my last name. I guess kinda like Jonesy.

Really? More so than him taking a tooth pick off the bloody shit covered bathroom floor of a forest cabin and putting it in his fucking mouth?

Um, helLO, he went for the ones on the CLEAN tile. If he had been willing to have a bloody one, he'd still be alive (because he wouldn't have had to move his butt off the toilet seat.) /5starreviewlanguage

• Like 2

Um, helLO, he went for the ones on the CLEAN tile. If he had been willing to have a bloody one, he'd still be alive (because he wouldn't have had to move his butt off the toilet seat.) /5starreviewlanguage

That tile could have been sparkling and there is no way I'd put that toothpick anywhere near my mouth. Plus you're talking about a bathroom floor cohabited by four guys who aren't the cleanest of people, so there are probably already leftover germs from any other time that they used that bathroom, so while there may not have been much blood on that tile, but that tile was far from clean.

• Like 1

Um, they have a psychic BOND, I think they know if each other have left germs on a tile BOOM FIVE STARS

You don't need a psychic bond to know that this motherfucker

56909325.jpg

is just leaving germs everywhere in his wake, no matter how hard you clean.

• Like 6

56909325.jpg

This scene, above all others, turned my stomach. Not the tooth picks, not the shit baby. This. God just the image itself is upsetting me.

• Like 2

This scene, above all others, turned my stomach. Not the tooth picks, not the shit baby. This. God just the image itself is upsetting me.

Be happy I couldn't find a gif of that scene.

• Like 1

Those of you who bought the DVD -- is there a commentary track? I would happily buy the DVD if it meant I could listen to Lawrence Kasdan explain himself.

I checked my roommate's copy, but it's on one of those "4 Film Favorites" packs. (Whose favorite? WHOSE?) No commentary there. I took a quick glance at the listing on Amazon, but it doesn't list any special features. The back of the 4 pack one does say it includes the "Original Ending and 4 Other Lifted Scenes".

56909325.jpg

God this reminded me of one of my college roommates and it makes me SO ANGRY!!!

Yeah no commentary for this movie on the regular DVD.

That's a bummer. The toothpick thing, by the way, is unsettling, esoecially when he takes the shot with the toothpick sticking into it. That's a good way to stab yourself in the glott or uvula or tonsil or whatever that thing back there is.

• Like 1

The only thing that motherfucker is leaving behind more often than germs are discarded catchphrases. It's like he's burning through them to see which one'll stick.

• Like 1

I think it's a sign of this movie's insanity-level and overall incomprehensibility that it contains toxic corpse farts, dick-biting space eels, Alien Spore Essence, and rooms covered in what I guess is bloody interplanetary semen, yet we're debating the Revolting Level of Jason Lee's peanut butter-eating vs. his bathroom floor toothpick usage.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more!

giphy.gif

... and I'm just quoting this again because I want this .gif on as many pages on this forum as possible. No apologies.

• Like 2

Okay, let me see if I get the basic plot correct:

- four kids befriend Duddits after saving him from bullies.

- at some point after, Duddits gave them telepathic powers (when?)

- as adults, they had an annual brodown at their winter cabin (without Duddits?)

- Duddits psychically "nudged" Jonesy into traffic, which gave him a traumatic brain injury that left him partially protected against a future alien possession by Mr. Grey (hazy on this).

- later that year, they meet up again, Jonesy is now fine, everyone has Duddits on their mind.

- aliens begin an invasion, led by Mr. Grey as Jonesy, who is attempting to put the ass worms in the water supply.

- the military is attempting to fight the aliens, covering it up with a biological scare (who is the source of that, anyways? I missed that).

- Timothy Olyphant and bobo Michael Madsen drive down the block and pick up Duddits because...? He's magical or something.

- Duddits turns into a different alien species (I think?) and defeats Mr. Grey. All is well.

I think that's basically it? My main question is: Duddits was actually some kind of sleeper agent sent by a benevolent alien race to protect against other aliens from invading Earth? Are there more Duddits around the world or universe? And what was the alien's end game? Put ass weasels in everyone, profit? Also, the telepathy everyone had barely came into play -- I'm sure it has much more relevance in the book -- it felt entirely incidental, after making a big deal about it and showing how all four used it in their lives.

• Like 1

The dialogue is so weird in this movie, too. There's a lot of quippy banter that feels really forced, like the "fuckeroo" thing. It's also bizarre how everyone talks about Duddits like he's basically Jesus (which I guess he is but...), saying "You know how much Duddits loves us" and in general talking about him like he's been dead for 20 years or something. Was Duddits being alive supposed to be a big reveal?

• Like 1

- four kids befriend Duddits after saving him from bullies.

- as adults, they had an annual brodown at their winter cabin (without Duddits?)

- Duddits psychically "nudged" Jonesy into traffic, which gave him a traumatic brain injury that left him partially protected against a future alien possession by Mr. Grey (hazy on this).

- later that year, they meet up again, Jonesy is now fine, everyone has Duddits on their mind.

- aliens begin an invasion, led by Mr. Grey as Jonesy, who is attempting to put the ass worms in the water supply.

- the military is attempting to fight the aliens, covering it up with a biological scare (who is the source of that, anyways? I missed that).

- Timothy Olyphant and bobo Michael Madsen drive down the block and pick up Duddits because...? He's magical or something.

- Duddits turns into a different alien species (I think?) and defeats Mr. Grey. All is well.

I think that's basically it? My main question is: Duddits was actually some kind of sleeper agent sent by a benevolent alien race to protect against other aliens from invading Earth? Are there more Duddits around the world or universe? And what was the alien's end game? Put ass weasels in everyone, profit? Also, the telepathy everyone had barely came into play -- I'm sure it has much more relevance in the book -- it felt entirely incidental, after making a big deal about it and showing how all four used it in their lives.

In the book Duddits gave them powers once he realized they were really his friends, if I remember correctly, and also as they asked him to help in finding a girl that had gone missing a few days prior. There's a deleted scene in regards to this which makes it a little easier to connect in the movie. He gave them this shared gift as he knew they worked better as a group and each had their own strengths and weaknesses.

They all went their separate ways into adulthood and Duddits sort of fell by the wayside, along with his rapidly deteriorating health, so they really couldn't bring him to the cabin each winter when they met up. Jonesy was still feeling the effects from his accident, but the guys and he felt that he was well enough to go on the trip and also help raise his spirits.

Thomas Jane and Tom Sizemore go to pick up Duddits after Thomas Jane receives a psychic message from Jonesy that Duddits is the key to defeating Mr. Grey.

Duddits is an alien for who the fuck knows why.

I think the alien endgame is similar to that of the aliens in War of the Worlds, invade and infect a planet in order to take it over for their species allowing it to grow. They cut a lot out from the book which connected a lot of this stuff and then threw in shit that just muddled it even further.

Jonesy was nudged into traffic to injure him physically as it would slow down Mr. Grey in his attempt to infect the world, which Mr. Grey wouldn't know that Jonesy was handicapped when he first saw him.

This is just the most recent attempt by the aliens to take over the world, Morgan Freeman's outfit has been fighting with them since Roswell. The front of the book actually has a detailed timeline of events that mixes in real alien sightings mentioned in the news along with fictional stuff within the story to bridge the two and give the reader background.

• Like 4

Duddits is not an alien in the book, and the ending is him mentally sending the Thomas Jane character's mind into the memory wharehouse of Jonesy so that they can kill Mr.Grey who is in a weakened state inside there. They then move back to their separate bodies to find that Duddits died from a combination of his illness and overusing his powers and that the Sizemore and Freeman characters had killed each other in a gunfight.

The whole alien thing with Duddits was batshit insane and is maybe the biggest diverging from the source material of a King adaptation since The Lawnmower Man and the original Shining.

I love this so much.

I think it happened when they wanted to find that girl that fell down a well?

Thomas Jane and Tom Sizemore go to pick up Duddits after Thomas Jane receives a psychic message from Jonesy that Duddits is the key to defeating Mr. Grey.

Oh right, on the gun phone :lol:

• Like 2

First of all 'ass worms' is my favorite quote ever.

Not Timmy boy because, as you may recall, HE GETS FUCKING EATEN WHEN HE SAYS BITE MY BAG. What wonderful last words.

Jonesy was nudged into traffic to injure him physically as it would slow down Mr. Grey in his attempt to infect the world, which Mr. Grey wouldn't know that Jonesy was handicapped when he first saw him.

Hey Duddidts, feel free to just tell some folks, in whatever way you can, 'This horrible thing is going to happen.'

• Like 1