🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Shannon

The Canon Is On Hiatus

There is another thread discussing this, but here is the official announcement:

Earwolf and “The Canon” co-host Amy Nicholson have decided to put the show on hiatus and hope to announce plans for further episodes in the near future. Earwolf and Devin Faraci have mutually agreed to part ways.

• Like 3

Sorry to piggyback on what feels like a pre-locked "sticky" thread, but what would be a good place to check in on for updates as to when The Canon would be coming back? And, if you don't mind, is this planned to be a short-term hiatus, or a long-term?

I'm a big Amy fan, I'll happily stick around so long as she's still here to keep the show going. Though I understand there may be reasons she (and others) may not want to rush the podcast back into service until a certain period of time has passed (however long that is).

I feel very bad about all this. The Canon has been one of my favorite podcasts this past year (I...honestly don't remember when I came in, maybe....Battle Royale???). I won't criticize any decision made leading up to this hiatus. I understand it's a very messy business that's far bigger than, and which has nothing to do with, any of us fans.

FWIW, I'd love to know if there's a way I could check up on the podcast's status without obsessively spamming the Earwolf site everyday. I will miss the show very much during this hiatus. But I hope not to completely lose contact with the hosts. I'll check out Amy's other podcast, but I'll be always thinking of The Canon, hoping for it to return when it's ready.

• Like 5

Yeah. As someone who has been here from the beginning, this is big. I love The Canon, and am disheartened that this has to happen, but not a whole lot else that can be done.

For what it's worth, this was fun while it lasted, and nothing's going to take away the incredible insights Devin continually brought to the discussion. Should The Canon take on a new chapter, I'll be listening as enthusiastically as ever. If not, talk about a hell of a run.

Thinking a little ahead--maybe we could have our own unofficial forum Canon? We give people a day to make arguments, and then wait to make a poll later? That way, people won't just vote impulsively as much. Keeps the show alive in some iteration. Could be a fun distraction.

• Like 2

I would be happy to update this thread with any news as it comes along. As for any other questions, all I know and all we can say is in the original post.

As for this community, please please feel free to keep posting here! If you guys want me to make a separate sub thread for you to talk about movies or whatever, I would be more than happy to. I would adore it if this community could continue during this hiatus.

• Like 5

I'll just keep The Canon in my podcast feed and be pleased when a new episode pops up.

• Like 4

It's a shame this is happening, but there are bigger matters that Amy, Earwolf and everyone else connected to Devin has to make it through. I'll say that this doesn't change any of Devin's insights, though it colors some of his behavior. All we can do in the meantime is respect everyone's processing through this, from victims of sexual assault to those who were unaware to even those who have a lot to deal with in terms of personal introspection.

Best of luck to everyone going through this time. I'll probably use this hiatus to catch up on some episodes I skipped, this time with a perspective that may help open further cinematic thoughts but also some sort of direct thoughts. I would be curious to hear any further statements, so I'll hang around to see where things go. But if this is the end, it's been a good run.

I came to this show with Blade Runner, which is my

Favorite movie of all time. I came to Devin's writing through Kristian Harloff's Far, Far Away. His writing was a godsend, I have opened up on BMD before, but I suppose I'll just leave my piece here:

I found Devin's writing almost like clockwork after my ex, Courtney, had attempted suicide. We had freshly broken up, but we did that a lot. Our relationship was toxic and beautiful. She was my Karen to my Hank, and it wasn't until after I found out that she was okay, that I also found out that she had been almost 3 months pregnant with our child. The pregnancy didn't survive her attempt, I guess the shock to the system was so great that it miscarried. We had conceived most likely, after my ex had comforted me through the accidental overdose after one of my close *close* friends. I was angry and hurt and broken, and Devin's voice felt like... like a kindred voice, but one that I deeply respected. I didn't always agree with his opinion, but it was one that I had come to deeply value, respect, and sometimes echo in my own writing.

So last night, as I was listening to The /Filmcast, where they were talking in spoilers about the problematic nature of Nate Parker's 'The Birth of a Nation', that I first heard about the allegations leveled at Devin. I must have missed Devin's initial post on BMD or Meredith's SOTU address, but I was floored and shocked, and I couldn't believe it. While I don't mean to write about me, and how much Devin has come to mean to me, especially in light of the gravity of what he has been accused of, but I feel like the preamble is necessary to inform Amy that I will not continue to listen to this show without Devin.

I watched Far, Far Away crumble under the abscence of Kristian Harloff, I watched Jedi Alliance qualitatively fold after both Ken Napzok's departure and Joseph Scrimshaw's. I will not watch this show qualitatively decline in that same way. I've come to cherish Amy's opinion and voice, but I almost never agree with it, and I've playfully ribbed at her expense in the forum's before, but it's out of a deep love of this show. This show has meant a lot to me, and the Forum has become a playground of frothing film love and has ingratiated itself into my identity as a film fan.

It was a great run, and I look forward to Amy's continued writing and podcasts, but this show must continue without my patronage.

• Like 1

^^^ That has to be the most dramatic exit from a podcast I've seen a listener make.

• Like 14

I came to this show with Blade Runner, which is my

Favorite movie of all time. I came to Devin's writing through Kristian Harloff's Far, Far Away. His writing was a godsend, I have opened up on BMD before, but I suppose I'll just leave my piece here:

I found Devin's writing almost like clockwork after my ex, Courtney, had attempted suicide. We had freshly broken up, but we did that a lot. Our relationship was toxic and beautiful. She was my Karen to my Hank, and it wasn't until after I found out that she was okay, that I also found out that she had been almost 3 months pregnant with our child. The pregnancy didn't survive her attempt, I guess the shock to the system was so great that it miscarried. We had conceived most likely, after my ex had comforted me through the accidental overdose after one of my close *close* friends. I was angry and hurt and broken, and Devin's voice felt like... like a kindred voice, but one that I deeply respected. I didn't always agree with his opinion, but it was one that I had come to deeply value, respect, and sometimes echo in my own writing.

So last night, as I was listening to The /Filmcast, where they were talking in spoilers about the problematic nature of Nate Parker's 'The Birth of a Nation', that I first heard about the allegations leveled at Devin. I must have missed Devin's initial post on BMD or Meredith's SOTU address, but I was floored and shocked, and I couldn't believe it. While I don't mean to write about me, and how much Devin has come to mean to me, especially in light of the gravity of what he has been accused of, but I feel like the preamble is necessary to inform Amy that I will not continue to listen to this show without Devin.

I watched Far, Far Away crumble under the abscence of Kristian Harloff, I watched Jedi Alliance qualitatively fold after both Ken Napzok's departure and Joseph Scrimshaw's. I will not watch this show qualitatively decline in that same way. I've come to cherish Amy's opinion and voice, but I almost never agree with it, and I've playfully ribbed at her expense in the forum's before, but it's out of a deep love of this show. This show has meant a lot to me, and the Forum has become a playground of frothing film love and has ingratiated itself into my identity as a film fan.

It was a great run, and I look forward to Amy's continued writing and podcasts, but this show must continue without my patronage.

You are a real messed up human being but FYI it should give you some comfort knowing that Kristian Harloff is now doing the Collider Jedi Council Podcast and Ken Napzock is hosting the Force Center Podcast with Joseph Scrimshaw so don't fret lil bebe.

• Like 1

This news bums me out so much. Devin was my favorite part of the show. Was he abrasive? Yup. Did he welcome opposing viewpoints? Nope. But that's what made it more real. When I discuss films with my friends, we insult each other and say the others are wrong, like what Devin did. The thing is, he is still a great film critic, and he's very well spoken. A highly highly regrettable event in his past (that we need to remember is not proven) doesn't change that. Unlike Trump, we're not deciding whether to vote Devin to be president. We're simply listening to his views as a film critic. I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for saying this, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to the victim. I can understand why sponsors may want to distance themselves from the situation and why Earwolf does not want to be tied with him anymore. But many of the fan responses on the forums are so troubling to me. People are talking about discounting his old opinions now and being happy he's gone, and that I just can't understand. I will miss his writing and his podcasting tremendously. Charles Manson makes some fairly good music, and he's an abhorrent human being, moreso than Devin by far. Jordan Belfort wrote a major best selling book that became a fantastic film. And people are able to look past the crimes somewhat to see the art or entertainment they create, and people publish their work regardless (maybe because of) their past. I don't know what the future holds for Devin at this point, but I truly hope he's okay and has a future in film criticism when the dust settles, and I ALSO hope the victim can find peace after what must have been a traumatizing experience. That said, I look forward to the Canon continuing and I hope they can find someone to provide a good balance with Amy, like Devin was.

• Like 1

A highly highly regrettable event in his past (that we need to remember is not proven)...

I don't see why Devin deserves special treatment when it comes to these types of accusations. Plus there were never any repercussions - it would have been just as heinous if it were 100 years ago. It doesn't matter anyway because Devin took responsibility for his actions. End of story.

People are talking about discounting his old opinions now and being happy he's gone, and that I just can't understand.

True, some may disregard all of Devin's creative output (I'm not of that camp). There's no denying much of it will be cast under a different light now; that's inevitable.

Charles Manson makes some fairly good music, and he's an abhorrent human being, moreso than Devin by far. Jordan Belfort wrote a major best selling book that became a fantastic film. And people are able to look past the crimes somewhat to see the art or entertainment they create, and people publish their work regardless (maybe because of) their past.

Yeah, I mean who wouldn't want to be compared to Charles Manson? If you're arguing that if Devin continues working he'll become more famous because of his past... well that might true, but I'm guessing that's not how Devin wants to be known, or the type of fans he wants.

If you're saying bad people sometimes make good art - I agree, but it's up to the individual if they want to consume it; I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone who decides not to.

I don't know what the future holds for Devin at this point, but I truly hope he's okay and has a future in film criticism when the dust settles

Look, I get it. I really do. We feel like we "know" Devin (to the extent that you can know a nearly complete stranger across the internet). We listen to him on the podcast, maybe read his articles. But we don't know her. For some fans of Devin, it may be easier at first to empathize with Devin than a seemingly random person (and that is one of the many obstacles that a victim must face). We don't fucking know him though. This was certainly possible.

If Devin fought back, I'm sure he would have had his defenders. But he didn't. He owned up to it and stepped down, on hiatus indefinitely. It may not seem like it, but even for the most devout of Devin devotees, this is the best-case scenario from his standpoint. You think his legacy is tainted now? Every second he continued working, his every action would be tarnished, as would anyone working with him by association, even if unintentionally. And imho his only real recourse is to genuinely make amends, self-reflect, listen, learn, and change. Only then can forgiveness even be on the table. And some may never forgive - and that's fine, it's their decision. (sorry, got a little rambley there - and I know it seems like I'm also making it mostly about Devin, but it's hard not to in the context of this forum)

I ALSO hope the victim can find peace after what must have been a traumatizing experience. That said, I look forward to the Canon continuing and I hope they can find someone to provide a good balance with Amy, like Devin was.

Agreed.

• Like 3

Guys, this sucks. I mean, Devin pissed me off so bad I quit listening for months. I wrote an angry post on the old Wolfpop board that became such a long thread that it was referenced on the following episode. But I'll just say it, I'm gonna miss him.

Guys, this sucks. I mean, Devin pissed me off so bad I quit listening for months. I wrote an angry post on the old Wolfpop board that became such a long thread that it was referenced on the following episode. But I'll just say it, I'm gonna miss him.

What episode was it referenced on? Do you have a link to the thread?

What episode was it referenced on? Do you have a link to the thread?

It was after the Shawshank episode. I made a post called {I think} "Cargo Shorts and the Applebees Crowd." Then on the next episode, Amy started things out by asking Devin if he wanted to go get some Applebees.

I don't see why Devin deserves special treatment when it comes to these types of accusations. Plus there were never any repercussions - it would have been just as heinous if it were 100 years ago. It doesn't matter anyway because Devin took responsibility for his actions. End of story.

I won't quote the whole post, I just want to say that I agree with what you said. I was venting and many of my points were pretty far off and not great arguments. The fact is that I will sorely miss Devin and I hope he can get through this and continually improve himself, because none of us is perfect. I don't want any of this to be taken as being anti victim, I don't want to come across as defending the honor of a person I will never know personally, I just wanted to stand up for a guy whose opinions I respect and whose opinions were being denounced for something unrelated to those opinions. Cheers, and sorry for saying the word "opinions" so many times in the last sentence.

• Like 2

I don't want any of this to be taken as being anti victim, I don't want to come across as defending the honor of a person I will never know personally...

I feel the same way. I hope everyone involved can sort through their personal stuff on this. I hope the show can continue some day. Ideally with everyone.

• Like 2

I am a big fan of Amys and just wanted her to know that I will continue to follow her onto whatever she does next whether that is the canon or a new project.

Good. Maybe she can find a co-host that isn't so in love with only his own thoughts and isn't a total asshole.

It's been almost two months since this all started. Since this the the official topic thread, I wanted to ask here if there are there any official updates in regard to the future of The Canon? Should the listeners hold out hope for a return in some way, shape or form, or is it time to just move on?

• Like 3

Well this is terrible news! They also seem to have deleted most of The Canon content. There are only 13 eps available now on Itunes and i can't even download Pather Panchali here; it can't be found.

So FML! Devin not coming back pretty much kills the show imo coz the banter between him and Amy was great and you will never get that back.

Sooo fkn dissappointed about this! :(

Well this is terrible news! They also seem to have deleted most of The Canon content. There are only 13 eps available now on Itunes and i can't even download Pather Panchali here; it can't be found.

So FML! Devin not coming back pretty much kills the show imo coz the banter between him and Amy was great and you will never get that back.

Sooo fkn dissappointed about this! :(

Sorry to confuse, we didn't delete these shows. They just live on Howl.fm for premium customers now. That's the plan with all our shows eventually. 6 months of episodes will be free and have ads, but anything older is ad-free and only available to members.

Also, Amy said a week or two ago that The Canon is coming back! So hooraay!