🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, starring none other than Nicolas Cage! Sure, it won't come out until 2012, but I think this movie should have a reserved seat for the How Did This Get Made? podcast.

Here's an interview where the directors and some of the actors involved talk about how "weird" and dark it's supposed to be:
http://collider.com/comic-con-ghost-rider-2-nicolas-cage-idris-elba-interview/105965/

Whatever. It's going to be nuts. If Cage is killing something in an R-rated movie (Season of the Witch, Drive Angry), it's probably worth seeing/making fun of. Add the Crank directors to this and it's too good(?) to be true.

Starring Nicholas Cage

From the directors of Crank and Crank 2: High Voltage comes what will surely be the most INSANE film of all time!

They showed footage at San Diego Comic-Con which featured the Ghost Rider PISSING fire and VOMITING bullets at bad guys.

Next February, you guys have to do this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071875/

Looks, uh, terrible...
"What if you have to pee when you're on fire?"
"Oh, it's awesome."

The only way that trailer could be even better is if they played a cheesy Meat Loaf song at some point. I can't wait for this thing.

Seriously? Ghost Rider stares a man to death and delivers the one-liner, "Roadkill". Nic Cage hits a new level of insane in this one. Idris Elba inexplicably has green eyes. Johnny Blaze gives off a pedo vibe. This movie is fucking TERRIBLE.

Its all of the things that you look for in the best Nic Cage movies. An absolute must that follows all of the criteria for a HDTGM movie.

Watching this right now. Everything about it is perfect for HDTGM. The first Nick Cage freak out laugh fest is wonderful.

I loved this movie. Some of the best parts:

• The random "animated" sections, including one showing Johnny Blaze doing a motorcycle stunt with no pants on.
  • One specific animated section where it shows a bunch of people who are evil, just generic drawings of people... then a photo of Jerry Springer.
  • The Twinkie.
  • And of course, "What happens when you have to pee?"

Also, it's been a while since I watched it, so am I not remembering correctly, or did the Gypsy woman's kid have an American accent despite being raised in Europe?

This wasn't that bad of a movie, at least for Nic Cage. I liked the Crank feel and look to the movie, though it was hurt by it being PG-13. One thing that makes this movie especially insane is the behind the scenese stuff like how Cage prepared for the movie by trying to summon the spirit of death. According to the cracked.com article "4 Actors Who Went Through Physical Torture for Stupid Movies" Cage painted his face to resemble voodoo death spirit Baron Samedi and even sewed Egyptian relics into his jacket to believe that he was summoning ghosts. He just looks crazy with his face painted, which seemed to be whenever he was supposed to be the Ghost Rider.

• Like 1

• One specific animated section where it shows a bunch of people who are evil, just generic drawings of people... then a photo of Jerry Springer.

No it was people like Stalin, Billy The Kid, a few other bad people.. and Jerry Springer. I had to pause the DVD I was laughing os hard. Implying the devil was all these horribly evil people.. and Springer.

Yeah Cage is bonkers in this. I loved it. It is one of those over the top bad movies that is just fun. You missed the part in the diner where he rubbed the kid's (Danny) hair. Danny is looking at a family and the dad is rubbing the son's head with his hand. Cage sees the kid looking at this, comes over to Danny sits down and rubs the kids head. Danny looks at him like he is a bit crazy. Cage says he saw a bee in his hair and didn't want him to get stung. (Oh god not the bees!)

No it was people like Stalin, Billy The Kid, a few other bad people.. and Jerry Springer. I had to pause the DVD I was laughing os hard. Implying the devil was all these horribly evil people.. and Springer.

Ah. I think I was writing that a little after having seen it, but I don't recall recognizing them as drawings of famous people. (And really, unless they were going for that sort of sticking-out thing, you'd think they could find photos of Stalin and his like.)

Ah. I think I was writing that a little after having seen it, but I don't recall recognizing them as drawings of famous people. (And really, unless they were going for that sort of sticking-out thing, you'd think they could find photos of Stalin and his like.)

Nah it was historically famous bad people. Plus it was done in a graphic novel style They wanted that one to be a photo so people know instantly who it is and get the joke.

I'll assume the movie gets crazy fun later on, but when I tried to watch it was BORING. I managed maybe 15 minutes before I shut it off. Got up to the first Ghost Rider appearance where he gets hit by some shotgun then wakes up in the hospital.

How much longer did I have to hang in there before it got good?

The opening scene with Idris Elba is the best part of the movie. Him flying off his bike into the mountains while turning around and shooting at a car was probably one of the cooler action shots I've seen. After watching it I thought, "Holy shit, am I about to watch a good movie?" Then the rest of the movie happened and no, it is not good.

The opening scene with Idris Elba is the best part of the movie. Him flying off his bike into the mountains while turning around and shooting at a car was probably one of the cooler action shots I've seen. After watching it I thought, "Holy shit, am I about to watch a good movie?" Then the rest of the movie happened and no, it is not good.

I watched the behind the scenes on that one stunt and it was amazing what they were willing to do to get that shot, Idris included. They basically had a small scaffold jut out over that cliff and had him on a harness and flung him out there.

I watched the behind the scenes on that one stunt and it was amazing what they were willing to do to get that shot, Idris included. They basically had a small scaffold jut out over that cliff and had him on a harness and flung him out there.

It looked pretty awesome in 3D. I'd totally forgotten about this scene until seeing it mentioned here.

I wish they would have done either one of these before doing Trespass or Season of the Witch. These are both much more solid crazy Nic Cage movies.

Someone suggested this before it came out, so this is a recommendation having seen it. It's 95 minutes and maintains a high energy, so it never gets boring. They love to make fun of movies that barely surpass 90 minutes, and it's a Nicolas Cage movie made by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, basically the quintessential team for a How Did This Get Made movie. There's potential for discussion on insane casting (including Idris Elba and Ciaran Hinds), special effects that are questionable at best, nonstop bizarre dialogue, inexplicable character choices, and why they would ever make a second Ghost Rider movie. It has Ghost Rider pissing fire, vomiting bullets, sassing off dead bodies, and he has the ability to turn a monster truck into a flaming demon vehicle like his motorcycle. If it's too soon for another Neveldine/Taylor movie to be discussed, that's understandable, but even if it's not covered on the show this ceaseless barrage of insanity is worth checking out.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this