🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 146 - Dreamcatcher

I think that made the most sense out of this whole movie as he was using what looked like an MP5 (my knowledge of guns is video games so apologies if the name is wrong), which in a situation requiring quick reflexes against a fast moving target along with the recoil of a machine gun, it would make sense that he would miss every hit. Yet when he pulls out the pistol you see him steady up and take aim and fire measured shots. Also at that time Freeman has stopped strafing and was lining up his shot as well so it was basically a perfect situation for it to work.

I was more concerned with him not taking ANY type of cover, despite, being in, you know, a fucking forest. If they were in the desert, an open field, I get it. But here? I thought the Buckos were "better" than "regular Army"!

Someone has to ask. Which other movie had the same, uh, grave penile injury scene?

I think he's hinting that it's in The Walking Dead but now I'm trying to remember who the hell in season 6 almost got their dick bit off... Also I digress but I am never going to be emotionally prepared for that premiere on Sunday.

• Like 2

Maybe the title's symbolism is that dreamcatchers could maybe, possibly, kind of resemble a fancy interpretation of a butthole. You know, because of the anal aliens in the story. Just throwing it out there as a potential theory.

I'll show myself out.

• Like 2

I was more concerned with him not taking ANY type of cover, despite, being in, you know, a fucking forest. If they were in the desert, an open field, I get it. But here? I thought the Buckos were "better" than "regular Army"!

I also have to assume that since this is Sizemore he was blitzed on a litany of drugs so common sense was at the forefront for him.

I think he's hinting that it's in The Walking Dead but now I'm trying to remember who the hell in season 6 almost got their dick bit off... Also I digress but I am never going to emotionally prepared for that premiere on Sunday.

I cannot wait to see who was chosen, as I have it boiled down to three possibilities. I just hope they don't choose the easy option due to someone else taking place of what should have been that characters death earlier in the season. Though I have read a rumor that there may be more than one death taking place in that scene.

• Like 1

I cannot wait to see who was chosen, as I have it boiled down to three possibilities. I just hope they don't choose the easy option due to someone else taking place of what should have been that characters death earlier in the season. Though I have read a rumor that there may be more than one death taking place in that scene.

I think your easy option is my main option due to comic things I've heard. I've chosen not to read the comics until the show is completed because I really want to enjoy the show without all the knowledge already sitting in my brain, which is hard to stay away from considering the internet, but if they don't go that route to keep things different I do have another opinion on who it could be.

I didn't hear about more than one death in that specific scene but I did hear about more than one death in the episode itself.

No matter what I'm going to be a sobbing mess I can already feel it.

I think he's hinting that it's in The Walking Dead but now I'm trying to remember who the hell in season 6 almost got their dick bit off... Also I digress but I am never going to be emotionally prepared for that premiere on Sunday.

walking dead season 6 spoiler

• Like 1

Someone has to ask. Which other movie had the same, uh, grave penile injury scene?

In the comedy/horror anthology Chillerama there were a few dongs that were eaten/ripped off by zombies.

I think your easy option is my main option due to comic things I've heard. I've chosen not to read the comics until the show is completed because I really want to enjoy the show without all the knowledge already sitting in my brain, which is hard to stay away from considering the internet, but if they don't go that route to keep things different I do have another opinion on who it could be.

I didn't hear about more than one death in that specific scene but I did hear about more than one death in the episode itself.

No matter what I'm going to be a sobbing mess I can already feel it.

The show is about 75% loyal to the comic. The whole CDC angle of the first season never happened in the books and various characters had their life lengths altered, like Shane living a lot longer in the show than in the comic and Andrea being dead on the show but actually still being alive in the comic and in a relationship with Rick. Then Michonne has gone in a completely different route by being in a relationship with Rick as there were a couple other guys that she was with who because of how things ended, made her have a much more perilous character arc than what she is getting now.

I love both the show and books, but my problem is it seems every season there is some reason for social media to get in an uproar simply because they are impatient or love a character (the whole "bring Beth back" petition which was ridiculous). Then you have people complaining that nothing is happening or there aren't any zombies, which is what the books are like after the first 20 issues, where they focus on the living threat as well as the undead threat.

Jessica McKenna mentions in this episode how she was so bizarrely unattracted to Tim Olyphant, I too thought he looked really different. I guess the dark dye job and overall sleazy personality probably had a lot to do with it. But also, did anyone think he looked bizarrely like Marco Rubio? In fact, when he first shows up my first thought was, "wow, who's that actor who looks like Marco Rubio?" I couldn't even recognize Olyphant and I'm really familiar with his work.

It's definitely the haircut that does it. His normal look is to have it either swept up and back or spiked:

Timothy-Olyphant_1_0.jpg05.jpg

When it's matted down he just looks like a serial killer:

Dreamcatcher-timothy-olyphant-13878093-500-211.jpg

The show is about 75% loyal to the comic. The whole CDC angle of the first season never happened in the books and various characters had their life lengths altered, like Shane living a lot longer in the show than in the comic and Andrea being dead on the show but actually still being alive in the comic and in a relationship with Rick. Then Michonne has gone in a completely different route by being in a relationship with Rick as there were a couple other guys that she was with who because of how things ended, made her have a much more perilous character arc than what she is getting now.

I love both the show and books, but my problem is it seems every season there is some reason for social media to get in an uproar simply because they are impatient or love a character (the whole "bring Beth back" petition which was ridiculous). Then you have people complaining that nothing is happening or there aren't any zombies, which is what the books are like after the first 20 issues, where they focus on the living threat as well as the undead threat.

Okay no offense, but I'm not going to read most of this cause you started pointing out the differences and I just said I didn't care to have all of that sitting in my brain.

Dreamcatcher-timothy-olyphant-13878093-500-211.jpg

Who wouldn't want to go for clam chowder with this man?

• Like 1

Had he said "chowder," I think she would have projectile vomited on him before getting in the car. A real fuckaroo.

• Like 1

Finally watched last night, and listened to the podcast on the drive to work this morning. Shout out to my wife for suffering through the movie with me, although we disagreed on which we preferred more, this or 'Vampire Academy' (my vote is for this one).

Most of what i had to say has been said because I'm coming in so late, but I wanted to check in regardless.

My main beef (amongst all the other beefs) is similar to others already stated: if 'one worm can end the world', then what about all of the COUNTLESS hitchhikers that escape this shoddy quarantine? All those animals gambolling in front of the cabin - including off-hand references to the BEARS that saunter by - are going their separate ways. All of the 'Friends'-loving Amurricans in lockdown in Eyebrows Freeman's concentration camp? No, the three-star general comes by, kicks out the Blue Boys, and presumably lets them all go. And don't forget the ridiculous get out of jail free card Tom Sizemore plays - 'Oh, and some people who get infected turn out to be just fine'. What? When i teach playwriting students a fundamental issue I bring up again and again is don't position two characters who tell each other things they already know, just for the sake of the audience. I feel like this happened again and again - particularly in the 'I forgot about your crazy brain warehouse' scene that was mentioned on the podcast. There was so much needless exposition for so little payoff. The whole alien massacre: how MUCH money did that cost of their budget? And for what? Why not let Mr Grey be the only alien? Killing Mr Grey didn't solve much at all. What about other eggs? Other butt worms? Other Ripley carriers?

All I could think of throughout this was "within one year of this, Timothy Olyphant would become Seth Bullock." Based on this performance, that's some Keiser Soze shit.

And my favourite bit was Damian Lewis's Mr Grey face. His voice was good too, but that insane smile. Jeebus.

Damian-Lewis.jpg

• Like 3

So I am late to this I know, but I just want to echo the sentiments of so many others; there is no way these aliens would ever struggle to take us over.

Theyve mastered intergalactic travel, can instantly disappear into dust, and can control the body of living thing around them; and with all these powers all they have to do is drop a worm into a city's water supply to win. Yet for two decades they've failed! Lots of movies make the antagonist unbeatable and then find some cheap device to save the day (eg. kill the head vampire and all the others go back to normal). There is nothing of the sort here, its never even implied (like the way the kids got their powers).

On a side note, I think they make all the friends failures and unlikable as adults to show how much the powers they have changed them and ruined their lives. As tweens who stood up for a handicapped kid they didn't know, and readily accepted an ass kicking at the hands of the biggest HS bullies, because it was the right thing to do. Not many kids would do that.

• Like 1

Seriously Jonesy CALLS on a godamm telephone from his mind palace to Tom Jane, who picks up with a GUN. How come SIzemore didn't just stop the car right there and be like: "My mistake, you're clearly crazy. Now get out of my car."

I registered an account days ago, and only got approved moments ago, to say exactly this! For fucks sake!

Sure, maybe you have demonstrated to me that you can read my mind, and you've convinced me to go against my blue boy boss of however many years to take you on a drive through a blizzard to god knows where. That does NOT mean I am going to instantly buy into you carrying on a conversation on a fucking gun as if it's a fucking telephone.

And on top of that, Thomas Jane's delivery during the gunphone conversation does not sound like someone on a phone call. He sounds exactly like someone pretending to be a crazy person, talking exaggeratedly on a pretend phone. "Hello?!?! JONESY?!?! Jesus Christ, I KNEW it was you!" Well, yeah, you knew it was him! Because who the fuck else would be calling you on your pretend gun phone? Alien telemarketers?

And Sizemore is completely OK with this, he just needs his gun back. And doesn't blink an eye when Jane starts babbling some crap about Duddits and Mr. Grey, all of which is completely new information to Sizemore. So goddamn ridiculous, and not in a good way.

• Like 2

I know I'm in!

29802146063_4764966fed_o.jpg

"They're an aphrodisiac..." --Pete (probably)

• Like 2

Theyve mastered intergalactic travel, can instantly disappear into dust, and can control the body of living thing around them; and with all these powers all they have to do is drop a worm into a city's water supply to win. Yet for two decades they've failed! Lots of movies make the antagonist unbeatable and then find some cheap device to save the day (eg. kill the head vampire and all the others go back to normal). There is nothing of the sort here, its never even implied (like the way the kids got their powers).

But they're so quick to push the self-destruct button at the smallest threat. A couple of helicopters? Oh no! Let's annihilate ourselves!

And Sizemore is completely OK with this, he just needs his gun back. And doesn't blink an eye when Jane starts babbling some crap about Duddits and Mr. Grey, all of which is completely new information to Sizemore. So goddamn ridiculous, and not in a good way.

In defense of his character, he's seen some crazy shit already.

• Like 4

Doing the audiobook of "Dreamcatcher" as a result of this episode... it does fill in a lot of the blanks and answer questions from the movie. For instance, in the childhood reminiscing pre-Dudditz, it mentions wrapping their hockey sticks in friction tape. Yes, I'm back on friction tape!! Also clears up a lot of the character questions, their inside jokes and terms, etc. Also a lot of things are sort of presented backwards... for instance, in the movie, we see Jonesy's "Dream Warehouse" before we realize it's based on the office at the moving company with the "prom queen" photo and desk, etc. Also, at the top of the warehouse's tower, you see the skylight with the dreamcatcher as the window.

I think the level of discussion on this movie shows that, while it is flawed in many ways, there is a lot of stuff going on to explore.

I know I'm in!

FRIED CLAMS dammit... and he looks like Chris Hanson in this... "Why don't you have a seat... have a fried clam..."

• Like 1

Is this considered the Halloween episode? Was this even considered a horror movie?

i'd say either lawnmower man or vampires kiss will be the halloween ep ... but my "i'd say"'s are usually completely wrong ... i'm still waiting for the howdies ...i'd say they are saving them for episode 150 ... lawnmower man, gamer, vampires kiss in some order and then the howdies ...

• Like 4

Is this considered the Halloween episode? Was this even considered a horror movie?

I'd say it was more sci-fi than horror similar to how Lawnmower Man became a total sci-fi movie even though the three page short story had nothing close to sci-fi elements to it.

Another annoying movie trope Dreamcatcher uses that you guys skipped mentioning: In all the flashbacks, they communicate to us that the kids are younger versions of the protagonists by having them use the same catchphrases we hear the adult versions of the characters using, in case we're too stupid to figure that out just by them all having the same hairstyles and THE SAME NAMES! Do you still use all the same expressions you used when you were a kid? I bet you don't. I don't. Because adult me realizes that the things kids say are usually stupid.

• Like 2

I know I'm in!

When I see that image and with his hair up it just makes me think of what he would probably say to his date, using his line from The Girl Next Door, "okay people, let's make some fuckie fuckie."

• Like 1