🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 146 - Dreamcatcher

Another annoying movie trope Dreamcatcher uses that you guys skipped mentioning: In all the flashbacks, they communicate to us that the kids are younger versions of the protagonists by having them use the same catchphrases we hear the adult versions of the characters using, in case we're too stupid to figure that out just by them all having the same hairstyles and THE SAME NAMES! Do you still use all the same expressions you used when you were a kid? I bet you don't. I don't. Because adult me realizes that the things kids say are usually stupid.

Actually I am constantly trying to bring back catchphrases I used as a kid. Most of what I say is a mix of 90s hip-hop and semi cholo-ish slang; I keep it dope, fly, and firme like that all the time.

• Like 2

Best guests ever. Jessica Mckenna is my fave female guest. Wish she was more successful seems like a pretty cool person

She's on a couple episodes of Doughboys which, if you haven't listened to is on par with HDTGM.

Let's talk about the gun phone. I am confident that the explanation for it is "Oxycontin," but it made no sense in the movie.

Thomas Jane could read Damien Lewis' mind when Mr. Gray possessed Damien Lewis and was riding on the snowmobile, but then later Thomas Jane had to use a prop - John Wayne's gun, no less - to mentally create a telephone and telephone number for Damien Lewis to mentally call. But Damien Lewis was already cornered by Mr. Gray by the time Mr. Gray was on the snowmobile, so it makes no sense that they'd have to use a prop later. The various protagonists never had to use props or visualize props to mentally communicate with each other, so Thomas Jane's use of a gun to somehow talk to another one of the Dreamcatcher crew seemed wildly out of place in light of the rules for telepathy already set up in the movie.

Oxycontin for the win, I guess.

• Like 1

Let's talk about the gun phone. I am confident that the explanation for it is "Oxycontin," but it made no sense in the movie.

Thomas Jane could read Damien Lewis' mind when Mr. Gray possessed Damien Lewis and was riding on the snowmobile, but then later Thomas Jane had to use a prop - John Wayne's gun, no less - to mentally create a telephone and telephone number for Damien Lewis to mentally call. But Damien Lewis was already cornered by Mr. Gray by the time Mr. Gray was on the snowmobile, so it makes no sense that they'd have to use a prop later. The various protagonists never had to use props or visualize props to mentally communicate with each other, so Thomas Jane's use of a gun to somehow talk to another one of the Dreamcatcher crew seemed wildly out of place in light of the rules for telepathy already set up in the movie.

Oxycontin for the win, I guess.

Yes, and I couldn't figure out why the fact that Thomas Jane says 'call me, Jonesy, buddy' from a car nowhere in range of Jonesy/Mr Grey would prompt Memory Warehouse Jonesy to pick up a phone and dial. Dial the gun. There were a few of these weird callbacks throughout: surely there's meaning in seeing the character who had raised the loaded gun to his head to kill himself in minute 2 of the film is now using another (unloaded) gun to have a conversation with someone who isn't there?

And what about the matching 'dropping the toothpicks'/'dropping the worm burning matches' moments, both set up as a slow-motion 'nooooo' moment, but with the second one being completely undermined by him finding one that he didn't drop. The fact that they mimicked the shot made me think 'okay, falling pointy things is the equivalent here to The Godfather and oranges', but nope. Not to be.

• Like 1

Okay, so I have a very different question about the gun. Morgan Freeman says that it was given to him by John Wayne, right? Was this just a crazy story he believes that illustrates he is insane, or are we to take this at face value? If we take this as fact, then I think it's safe to assume that John Wayne wouldn't just randomly give his gun to just some guy. This would have to mean that John Wayne knew what Morgan Freeman did for a living, right?

That would mean John Wayne knew Morgan Freeman was hunting aliens down and killing them. If John Wayne knew about the aliens, then who else knows? Is this a world where Hollywood's elite are all aware of these occasional visits by extraterrestrial beings (and their subsequent slaughter at the hands of the US government)? Why would they all agree to keep this under wraps? What's in it for them? Does the Stephen-Kingaverse take place on a world where everything is controlled by a New World Order composed of the rich and famous? I don't mean to come off a conspiracy theorist or anything, I'm just asking question.

• Like 1

The Death By Anus scenes from this movie made me thing of another crazy Death by Anus movie: Bubba Hotep starring Bruce Campbell as a geriatric Elvis Presley fighting an ancient mummy that sucks the souls of the nursing home residents through their asshole. Elderly Elvis teams up with a black John F. Kennedy to stop this evil from beyond the grave from taking their friends out the back door. This is a great crazy movie that is not to be missed by any Campbell fan.

Hi Paul. :). I just listened to the mini episode and you asked about why the alien didn't just go down the toilet. It's because it would have ended up in a metal septic tank in the ground. A cabin in the middle of nowhere would not be connected to a sewer system.

Love the show!

Christina

Amazing through all of Stephen King's writings that he's still religious, though doesn't appear to take part in organized religion. Maybe it's more obvious in his writings than I perceive, but surprising nonetheless.

• Like 1

This is my favorite episode of the show, so I was excited when this movie came to Netflix so I could rewatch it and then listen to the episode again. Holy shit! What a complete fuckaro this movie is! I last saw it as a new release, cautiously optimistic because I was a Fangoria subscriber and I knew it had "shit weasels" in it. Criminetleys, if I didn't just have it on while I was cleaning I don't know if I could do it.

• Like 1

I was thinking of this movie the other day as I saw my roommate's dad sitting on the sofa with an open jar of peanut butter and a knife and I DID NOT DARE to ask if he was double-dipping. I kept on walking.

• Like 2