🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AmyNicholson

Hey everyone

Thanks for the words, Amy. While I sincerely hope that you can find another partner to continue the podcast with (it's a great, unique format and I don't think there's anything else out there that can match it), I understand if you can't.

Best wishes to both you and Devin.

Thanks so much, Amy. And thanks to both you and Devin for making it possible for such a community to exist. It wouldn't work with a program that wasn't as insightful and engaging as The Canon.

Whatever happens next, we're all here.

Seriously getting me teared-up over here, Amy. Thanks for keeping us posted.

It's crazy how much two total strangers can feel like a big part of your life, but you and Devin through both your written criticism and through this podcast have truly had a significant impact on my artistic sensibilities (and, by extension, the ways those sensibilities have led me to evaluating things about my own character and my behavior-- which is one of the great functions of art). From the bottom of my heart, thank you for that.

And for whatever it's worth from some random joe schmo, I hope Devin knows how much his words have meant to so many people over the years and how much he is valued. I certainly wish him the best on the hard road ahead.

• Like 2

Nice to hear from you, Amy. I feel bad for @spacecrone and Devin for totally different reasons, but I also feel bad for you. I'm just a listener and it felt like this goddamn election from hell indirectly ripped away something that I enjoy.

If it means anything to you, I really wasn't THAT much of a film geek before I got really serious about this podcast about four months ago, but I've been devouring movies since then. I have you and Devin to thank for that. Whatever you decide to do, you ABSOLUTELY need to be recorded having contentious conversations about movies. You're great at it, and it's nice to know someone else out there isn't particularly enamored with Goodfellas. <3

• Like 3

Good to hear an update from you, Amy. I actually discovered you through The Canon when it first launched and I've loved your other podcast appearances and written work. I wasn't even a fan of Devin until around the debut podcast on Goodfellas, whose work I still mostly appreciate even after this week. Still, what transpired transpired and there's no going back on that. I'll listen if you come back and if not I understand. We're all here when you're ready to announce a decision.

Great to hear from you, Amy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Looking forward to your next check in.

Great to hear from you, Amy. The Canon is/was a great show and I'm glad it allowed me to discover your work. About the future of the show, I think I speak for most fans when I say please do whatever feels right to you! Including leaving The Canon in the past, if that's what you choose.

If I could make a humble suggestion, what about a limited run of 3 or 4 episodes with guest co-hosts? It could either allow you to end the show on your own terms, or get a sense of what it would be like to continue.

It's insane that I just logged in to see why there wasn't an episode today and this has left an absolute pit in my stomach. Listening to this podcast has been a bright spot every Monday since I stumbled upon it a year ago. My thoughts are with Amy and Devin and thanks to them and everyone on this forum for making this film nerd's life a little more tolerable.

• Like 3

Here's what I think. Amy should continue the canon WITH Devin. While I realize this is nearly impossible, it's what should happen. I believe her that Devin has changed and progressed since those days, and I do believe that he is deeply sorry. Now it is really up to us, what kind of people do we want to be. The people that can forgive? The people that would forgive? If not, what happens to the guilty person? Must he suffer for life, even if he has grown into a different person. Is there no possibility to escape. Do we keep such a person in quarantine until they die? What does that achieve? Isn't the point to reform, to grow, to fight and in the end what comes out is a good, decent person. Isn't that the point? But we must be willing to let them do that. (my comment does not apply to what the victims should do.) It's a leap of faith that says who we are or would like to be. If Devin is sorry and fully aware of what he did, than I think he should be given another chance.

• Like 4

It's not all about forgiveness though. They have to think about how survivors would feel if Earwolf and Birth Movies Death continued on like nothing had happened. Especially in the current political climate. It's perfectly fine to forgive Devin, but there are also issues of trust, and the implicit meaning of standing behind someone who's involved in a controversy.

In other words, because of what allegedly happened, and when it became exposed, it became about much more than whether or not Devin is forgiven and it would probably make the situation worse to just forgive and carry on. I think it's actually better for Devin this way believe it or not.

• Like 4

Thanks for the words Amy. I truly hope The Canon continues with or without Devin, it's a fantastic concept, and I really enjoy the discussions we all have: heated, harmonious, and otherwise. Take all the time you need, we're all here ready for more whenever you are (okay maybe not all the time you need, I'm running out of episodes in my backlog. Hurry it up, wouldja??)

• Like 1

It's not all about forgiveness though. They have to think about how survivors would feel if Earwolf and Birth Movies Death continued on like nothing had happened. Especially in the current political climate. It's perfectly fine to forgive Devin, but there are also issues of trust, and the implicit meaning of standing behind someone who's involved in a controversy.

In other words, because of what allegedly happened, and when it became exposed, it became about much more than whether or not Devin is forgiven and it would probably make the situation worse to just forgive and carry on. I think it's actually better for Devin this way believe it or not.

Yeah, I agree with you. What I said isn't really possible. I just wanted to say it.

• Like 1

I'd like to take this moment to express my appreciation for the Canon as well. It is by far my favorite podcast and the only one that I listen to every single week. I think what I love the most about it is that it covers so much ground in terms of the films they discuss. It seems like a lot of other podcasts keep the discussion limited to one type or genre of film, but not the Canon. They'll go from a 1980s horror/exploitation movie, to a 1950s melodrama, to an agreed-upon classic and talk about all of them with the same amount of knowledge and enthusiasm.

So I just wanted to let you know that I'm a big fan of the show and hope that it can continue in some form or another. Thank you very much for the entertainment and insight.

• Like 3

It's good to hear from you, Amy. All the love and support in the world to you and Devin right now. As hard as this is on fans of Devin's work and The Canon, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. Please take your time and know that any decision you make, we will support it! And I think I speak for many of us when I say we will happily follow you wherever you go. <3

• Like 2

I'd like to take this moment to express my appreciation for the Canon as well. It is by far my favorite podcast and the only one that I listen to every single week. I think what I love the most about it is that it covers so much ground in terms of the films they discuss. It seems like a lot of other podcasts keep the discussion limited to one type or genre of film, but not the Canon. They'll go from a 1980s horror/exploitation movie, to a 1950s melodrama, to an agreed-upon classic and talk about all of them with the same amount of knowledge and enthusiasm.

Yes, this is the thing I'll really miss if The Canon doesn't come back. I haven't found another show that covers this wide a breadth of film history, with the kind of in-depth analysis the two critics gave. Most other film podcasts tend to stick with a narrower band (just new releases, or just horror flicks, or just older films).

• Like 4

Amy, thanks for the note, I was sad to hear about all that of this for many reasons. I remember on several occasions in the past few months that Devin said he was trying to be a better person and it seemed really genuine; I hope that continues and this doesn't derail his growth. I've been listening since the beginning (except for the handful of episodes I've been saving on films I haven't caught up with yet) and I already miss the podcast. The best part is the discussions with the family of listeners on these forums sparked from from your debates but honestly, the thing I love most about the show is the wonderful rapport between the hosts. I'll support the show going forward whatever direction you choose to go though I'd be remiss if I didn't say it wouldn't be the same without you both. Thanks for bringing me joy and entertainment every week the past few years.

I am also sad at news of the hiatus. Devin has great wit and insight and made me look at movies in new ways. As someone who loves movies almost as much as I love anything, getting to listen to the discussions on this podcast has been so wonderful. I have to say my favorite part of the podcast has been Amy's knowledge and notes. I hope the show will go on!