🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
quiescentcat

The Boondock Saints (1999)

This film isn't that horrible, but it definitely has a douche bag-attraction factor to it. A Maxim magazine-reading, Axe Body Spray-doused-in, English script forearm tattoo-having, new Camero-driving, Carl's Jr.-eating-at'ing douche bag aura to it.

• Like 5

This film isn't that horrible, but it definitely has a douche bag-attraction factor to it. A Maxim magazine-reading, Axe Body Spray-doused-in, English script forearm tattoo-having, new Camero-driving, Carl's Jr.-eating-at'ing douche bag aura to it.

This reminds me, my old roommate Julie LOVES "Boondock Saints", and I hadn't seen it until she pretty much forced me to watch it, and then I didn't see anything special about it. Anyway, one morning, she wakes me up because she needed a ride to work and her car had died, so I just rolled out of bed, threw some pants on, and we were out the door. I'd woken up late the day before and hadn't showered, and then I didn't shower when I got home before I went to bed, so here I was barely awake, hadn't bathed in two days, and had probably been sweating a bit in my sleep. So, as she's following behind me on the staircase in our apartment building, Julie asks me...

"Hey, are you wearing Axe Body Spray?"

Jesus, is that what that shit really smells like?

• Like 1

I'm so guilty of liking this movie. I had a poster of it in my dorm. But people make way worse mistakes in college...right? I've grown up since then. And I've never used an Axe product, I promise.

• Like 5

I hadn't ever seen this until a couple of years ago and I quite enjoyed it. I can definitely see why people think it's the worst and I can see why people think it's the best. It's bat shit insane!

But I just don't think it's a good candidate for this podcast. If you think about what this pitch was then it really makes sense how this got made.

I urge everyone that has seen this movie to watch the documentary Overnight about the making of Boondock Saints, regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the original. It's a wildly entertaining documentary about a man that has let fame go to his head big time.

• Like 3

I urge everyone that has seen this movie to watch the documentary Overnight about the making of Boondock Saints, regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the original. It's a wildly entertaining documentary about a man that has let fame go to his head big time.

watched it last year .. it's like a how to of how not to do it. talk about turning into a monster

• Like 1

watched it last year .. it's like a how to of how not to do it. talk about turning into a monster

And it's so satisfying since we have the meta-knowledge of knowing that Troy Duffy would NEVER mean anything outside of those movies, even a decade after that documentary came out.

• Like 2

A good candidate, as it's both terrible and enjoyable (the sequel is just terrible). The best part is Dafoe, who chews so much scenery you fear for his teeth! The two leads are likeable enough, their friend is annoying aside from a scene or two, and the constant, over the top swearing becomes grating pretty quickly.

Billy Connolly and Ron Jeremy show up in it too, and in the end Dafoe puts on a dress and saves everybody because of course one of the guards can't resist Sarah Jessica Parker's 70 year old aunt...

I saw this for free and loved it the first time. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I had paid for it.

Oh, and I'm watching Overnight right now. That's tough to bear like 10mins in, and it runs for 80min!

Haven't seen this movie in a long while but I've always really liked it. That being said, make no mistake about it I am aware of its many flaws. It borders too quirky for its own good if not being downright pretentious. It's aggressively insensitive. I probably shouldn't be rooting for the protagonists but I always liked them.

If you've ever been to a local comic convention or even one of the bigger name ones, you've almost always seen the celebrity with absolutely no line surrounded by booths with one hundred plus people waiting for autographs from a person they actually want to meet. I witnessed this again recently at a show in Sacramento where both Sean Patrick Flannery and David Della Rocco have literally less than ten people in either of their lines while on one side they had Norman Reedus finishing his autograph period with still forty people waiting for autographs and on the other side Jeffrey Dean Morgan with over one hundred. If I had wanted to I literally could have walked up to either guys and gotten a signature for thirty bucks, but it was just too sad. At least with them they were making the most of it with the people coming up to them for signings, unlike Malcolm McDowell who had a similar situation and was basically a curmudgeony asshole to anyone who came up to him.

• Like 1

If I ever saw Sean Patrick Flannery at a convention I'd have to fight the overwhelming urge to ask him an endless amount of questions about Powder.

If I ever saw Sean Patrick Flannery at a convention I'd have to fight the overwhelming urge to ask him an endless amount of questions about Powder.

Well just go to any one, he's most likely there. Apparently the royalty checks from Simply Irresistible stopped rolling in a while ago.

Sign in to follow this