🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
quiescentcat

The Boondock Saints (1999)

Just watched this 1999 movie for the first time yesterday and it was bad in the best way: laughably, sidesplittingly, ridiculously hi-larious. No discernible plot, idiotic action scenes, and Willem Dafoe going balls-out crazy--even for him. If you can stand the bad Boston accents, you will be greatly rewarded by this smorgasbord of unintentional humor.

Gotta make a plea again to do this steaming pile of wtf. I laughed my ass off watching it. It's worth seeing if only for Willem Dafoe's massive, expert, batshit insane scenery-chewing. Please oh please do this movie. I need to get some worth out of the 2 hours I spent watching it.

I hate this movie almost as much as I hate the fact that it inspired a cult following fervent enough to spawn a sequel. Gross.

Get off your high horse. Although this movie is ridiculous its freaking great. I watch it every st paddys day to get amped up enough to drink car bombs til I black out. Cheers!

Get off your high horse. Although this movie is ridiculous its freaking great. I watch it every st paddys day to get amped up enough to drink car bombs til I black out. Cheers!

That movie is a bag full of dead puppy shit. When they made this movie someone killed a bunch of puppies and they all shit themselves when they died. Then they put that shit into a bag and Ron Jeremy gizzed in it and they called it Boondock Saints.

This NEEDS to be an episode of HDTGM. It's a perfect choice. It's got tons of lovers and TONS of haters. It really is a great movie to debate on. Please do it!

• Like 1

Yeah, crazy over-the-top, terrible dialogue...Ron Jeremy. Perfect contender.

This really is the perfect movie to do: The acting is terrible, the plot nonsensical, the action sequences unnecessary, the characters motivation nearly nonexistent and none of that matters for this podcast because Willem Dafoe's performance is the most bonkers thing I have ever seen. People love this movie and the guy who "watch[es] it every st paddys day to get amped up" perfectly represents this films following.

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary "Overnight", filmed by his own friends, which chronicles writer/director Troy Duffy's rags to...rags story about a guy that got plucked out of nowhere to be the next big thing, only to completely ruin it by being the biggest asshole that anyone ever dealt with and acting like someone that could get things done and not just the lucky bartender that he was. Seriously, he's in the business for all of like three days before calling people talentless cunts that he refuses to work with. In a pretty great twist, whatever wheeling and dealing he had to do to FINALLY get the film made after taking a flamethrower to every bridge he had ended up leaving him with no rights to the merchandising or anything, so he saw nothing from the success that the film had later on as a cult hit/Hot Topic content provider. I think he finally got a piece of the action once he got to make BS2, which was probably more about getting the rights back than actually making a successful film.

• Like 3

Good call PlanB. The first time I saw Overnight I was positive it was a mockumentary. I refused to believe someone could consciously be that much of a douchebag. The perfect guest for an Overnight episode would be either Harvey Weinstein or Kenneth Branagh.

Crowds of idiots who think Boondock Saints is a great film to watch on St. Patty's Day before going to the bar to slam car bombs and rock out to Dropkick Murphys is why my Irish family drinks at home every March 17th.

• Like 5

I actually like the movies for what they are, senseless violence with almost zero plot outside of "god" tellin them to do it. I actually liked how Dafoe would walk through the aftermath of the killings rather than the audience just seeing them. Also, I think there is a Geraldo Rivera cameo in the credits when people are being asked what they think of the Saints.

• Like 2

I don't know if this movie is great or terrible but I love watching it. Dafoe is amazing but I think just about all the actors do a good job with their over the top characters.

If you meet someone that thinks this movie is great, he (and it's ALWAYS a he) is probably dumb; if it's his favorite movie, he's run-for-your-life dangerous.

I seen bros with lines from this movie tattooed on their arms and shit. Needless to say, they were total juiceboxes.

The only thing I remember when I half-assedly watched this is how everyone goes on about what an amazing shot Billy Connolly's character is, and then he finally appears with like 8 guns and he's just shooting full on pew pew pew everywhere and doesn't hit a single target.

Dumb fuckin' movie although the above mentioned documentary is pretty jaw dropping, as RIP Spirit Bear said, when you realize it's a real person making the worst possible decisions at every moment.

• Like 1

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary "Overnight", filmed by his own friends, which chronicles writer/director Troy Duffy's rags to...rags story about a guy that got plucked out of nowhere to be the next big thing, only to completely ruin it by being the biggest asshole that anyone ever dealt with and acting like someone that could get things done and not just the lucky bartender that he was. Seriously, he's in the business for all of like three days before calling people talentless cunts that he refuses to work with. In a pretty great twist, whatever wheeling and dealing he had to do to FINALLY get the film made after taking a flamethrower to every bridge he had ended up leaving him with no rights to the merchandising or anything, so he saw nothing from the success that the film had later on as a cult hit/Hot Topic content provider. I think he finally got a piece of the action once he got to make BS2, which was probably more about getting the rights back than actually making a successful film.

I remember a couple of years ago Adam Carolla was talking about how great this documentary was and how much of an ass Troy Duffy appeared to be in the movie and word got around to Duffy so he wanted to come in to defend himself on the podcast. He basically tried to explain that the documentary was an unfair assassination attempt on his career, but basically unintentionally just made the case that it was a fair representation of what went on.

• Like 1

I don't think Ive ever seen this movie. in the trailer it says, they are on a mission from god.. where have I heard that before i wounder....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXojYfCF3I

the best part in they rip off the die hard trailer at the end... Too funny.

BTW the full movie is on youtube... check it out before it gets taken down.

I seen bros with lines from this movie tattooed on their arms and shit. Needless to say, they were total juiceboxes.

The only thing I remember when I half-assedly watched this is how everyone goes on about what an amazing shot Billy Connolly's character is, and then he finally appears with like 8 guns and he's just shooting full on pew pew pew everywhere and doesn't hit a single target.

Dumb fuckin' movie although the above mentioned documentary is pretty jaw dropping, as RIP Spirit Bear said, when you realize it's a real person making the worst possible decisions at every moment.

It's like in "Star Wars" when they come across the slaughtered Jawas and Obi Wan says something about how "only imperial stormtroopers can shoot with this kind of precision" or whatever. Yeah, great shot, as long as no one's looking.

I remember a couple of years ago Adam Carolla was talking about how great this documentary was and how much of an ass Troy Duffy appeared to be in the movie and word got around to Duffy so he wanted to come in to defend himself on the podcast. He basically tried to explain that the documentary was an unfair assassination attempt on his career, but basically unintentionally just made the case that it was a fair representation of what went on.

On the DVD, there's an interview with the filmmakers where they explain that there was some REALLY hateful stuff that didn't make it into the final cut. That's really, really...reeeeeeeaaaalllllllly, really, really saying something. Yeah, you can watch "Overnight" without ever actually seeing "Boondock Saints", and I don't think you'd be missing a thing.

This movie is balls to the wall insane and quite possibly the craziest Willaem Dafoe has ever went, and that's saying something.

This is a great bad movie, and perfect for HDTGM.

This is certainly not a great movie but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I agree with Ryan that the way we see the crimes through the eyes of Willem Dafoe is interesting and there were also several genuinely funny moments throughout.

I think the biggest reason there's so much hate, and I can certainly understand, is how annoying fans of it are and how big of a dick Troy Duffy is. He actually got a tattoo of one of the symbols that the brothers had on his forearm. That's gotta be the saddest thing I've ever heard.

And while I like the first one for what it is the second one is pure shit. The only good thing about it is the commentary, as anybody who has seen Overnight knows this guy has a huge ego and it's amazing to hear him talk about how great Boondock Saints 2 is.

This is certainly not a great movie but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I agree with Ryan that the way we see the crimes through the eyes of Willem Dafoe is interesting and there were also several genuinely funny moments throughout.

I think the biggest reason there's so much hate, and I can certainly understand, is how annoying fans of it are and how big of a dick Troy Duffy is. He actually got a tattoo of one of the symbols that the brothers had on his forearm. That's gotta be the saddest thing I've ever heard.

And while I like the first one for what it is the second one is pure shit. The only good thing about it is the commentary, as anybody who has seen Overnight knows this guy has a huge ego and it's amazing to hear him talk about how great Boondock Saints 2 is.

If only I had something better to do than watch Boondock Saints 2 and listen to the commentary. I might need therapy because this may be construed as self-destructive behavior.

While the movie isn't great, I think it is a good gateway movie. Like, a lot of the younger people in the early part of the century that thought this was the bee's knees didn't know that Duffy was lifting pretty much everything from better movies by better directors, so they might be more willing to check those out on a recommendation. And since this movie was made so long after it was greenlit and then not even really seen until long after THAT, Duffy was spared the "Tarantino clone" tag, though he certainly had the same amount of success as many of those filmmakers (translation: he was completely unsuccessful).

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this