🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 4.2 — Recurring Segments: Day 2

--Anyone here ever done Tim Tam Slams? Its when you get a Tim Tam and some coffee or hot chocolate and then you bite the ends off of the Tim Tam and use it like a straw to suck up the coffee or h.c. Once the Tim Tam is full, you eat it. I like it best with mint Tim Tam and hot chocolate.
--Bob and Dan usually have a stinger that they play before the Yahoo Question Answers segment. I guess that they did not include it because of time constraints.
--Based on their premise and what I heard in the first week of the Challenge, I tried listening to a full episode of the F+. It only confirmed my belief that their show is not meant for an audience beyond themselves. They seem to know each other so well that they can deal with the poor audio quality and pick up on humor that is missed by outsiders.

@Chase: "I think it's perfectly reasonable for Matt to want to discuss what a recurring segment is or is not. Like so many people have said, podcasting is like the wild west. We're figuring out the rules as we go along here. I don't find it hinders anything at all."

-- Sure, it's absolutely reasonable - desirable even - for that discussion to happen, but that's a conversation that should take place between Matt and the producers as part of the introduction for 4.1. Halfway through 4.2 it's too late for that discussion to be meaningful or even relevant.

I've never done the Tim Tam Slam Ryan, but that's probably because I got spoilt by a former client who put out Tim Tams every morning tea time, so by the time the Slam was invented I was over Tim Tams. This place is lousy with them.

Sorry to hear about your Tim Tam burnout, Bucho. I hope you can eat and enjoy them again someday.

Does anyone else think that 2 minutes is not enough time to get a true feel for these podcast segments?

Ryan, yes. Two minutes is far, far too short. I think the show fears boring people, but most of us are not averse to two hour podcasts during our commute, jobs, doing shit around the house, whatever. I think a lot of the podcasts fear that taking the time to make the setup clear enough will give them scant time to actually provide entertaining content that seems at least mildly substantive and memorable.

I agree that two minutes is too short also. I actually think the judges (or at least Matt Besser) need to be listening to full episodes, especially as the competition narrows. I was concerned to hear Matt say on a previous episode that he doesn't listen to podcasts very often and I hope that doesn't affect the judging, as podcasts are a unique form and not as comparable to radio as is sometimes assumed.

I really like Matt's approach to the challenges. I think it's helpful for him to have such a flexible definition of what the assignments entail, since these podcasts are pretty different-- It allows them to fulfill the challenge in a way that represents their vision. A didactic, one-size-fits-all approach would just result in samey submissions, which I assume is not the point of this.

Of the chat shows, I'm starting to like Bob and Dan Cast the most. They have an easy charm and have shown a lot of range so far in how they package their chit-chat. I'm curious if Left Handed Radio's Herb from Pittsburgh has ever met Philly Boy Roy. They seem like cousins. The only show I'm down on is the F Plus, because I'm a little uncomfortable with the judgmental, look-at-the-freak aspect of what they do. I think they were better this week because the humor came more from their conversation and not just laughing at somebody. Maybe it's just not for me-- I like to live in a very mellow, Judgment-Free Sphere.

@JW - "Of the chat shows, I'm starting to like Bob and Dan Cast the most. They have an easy charm and have shown a lot of range so far in how they package their chit-chat."
I'm starting to agree about Bob and Dan. I think the Dum Dum boys have something too, but I'm from New Zealand and so on a genetic level I can't help but find most Aussie accents grating, as opposed to North Americans, Europeans and Sub Saharan Africans who might find the Aussieness a charming aspect of their show.

Sign in to follow this