🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
paulscheer

Q&A w/ Paul Scheer Thread

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to start a place to ask questions and get answers about the HDTGM podcast. (excuse my grammar)

Here's a few starter questions...

DO YOU EVEN READ OUR SUGGESTIONS

Yes. We actually have a huge master list that is based from your suggestions.

YOU SHOULD DO AN EPISODE DEVOTED TO THE ROOM or TROLL 2

While those are amazing "good-bad" movies those two in particular have been done so many times by so many people that we don't feel like we can bring anything more to them.

YOU SHOULD DO THIS MOVIE THAT MY FRIEND MADE

While your friend's movie (or a weird indie that you saw) might be a perfect fit sometimes those really low budget indie feel like easy target. We are trying to focus on bigger budget films that had all the money and resources to make it a hit but they miss the mark.

WHY DO YOU DO MOVIES THAT YOU LIKE?

Movies like Fast 5 & Crank 2 fall into another category of this podcast, which is not HOW DID THIS GET MADE? but more WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?! These are movies that are so crazy that they need to be discussed and seen.

WHY DON'T YOU REALLY ANSWER THE QUESTION LIKE HOW DID THIS GET MADE?

Because that's not our show. I know it's our title but it's not an academic study of the process and never will be and if you want that I'm sure smarter people than us can let you.

Paul is the rumor going around about what Aukerman makes all the hosts of the Earwolf shows do to keep their jobs true?

On a less serious note, Eddie Pepitone could make a good guest for the show. On his podcast he often talks about how much he hates shitty TV and movies and talking about how Prince should be talking about the economy. Thus it might be hard to convince him to watch one of these horrible movies, if you did some of his little rants and impressions would surely be delightful.

Are you guys planning on doing more movies that weren't made this century? So far you've only done one.

Alternately, when can we expect the next Nicolas Cage-themed HDTGM?

I loved you this last week on SKLAR BRO COUNTRY!!! And I've seen you and Steve tweet about being back on set for THE LEAGUE! I'm as excited for The League to start as I am for football.

Here's 3 quick Q's

1. Which of all the characters you've played would you ever want to do a movie about JUST THAT CHARACTER?

2. Have you ever turned down an interview ( like Jay Leno during the Conan controversy or a local morning TV show that you knew wouldn't get your humor ) ? And if so why?

3. Please tell your best JDR story. Something that she cringes a little when you tell it but still lets you back in the house.

BONUS:

What's been most star struck you've been with a celeb and who was it?

Peppitone is a great idea.

Scott Aukerman makes us give him mouth sex to have shows.

Older Movies, Yes. Sure. We always get distracted though.

Skippy, lets just keep it to HDTGM questions

We'll get back to Cage soon.

First of all let me congratulate you on Ntsf: SDSU: SUV, its fucking hilarious and also let me congratulate you on the even more impressive feat of bagging June Diane Rapahel.
1. Is there any movies that you considered doing but you were just too close to. Like you were friends with somebody in the movie and didn't want to offend them. Or maybe a movie was released by a company you were doing business with or wanted to do business with.
2. Have you ever ran into anybody you made fun of in the podcast in real life.
3.Have you considered doing a movie and having a guest who was in that movie. For example discussing Operation Endgame with a Mr. Adam Scott. ( I really want to hear Operation Endgame on the show , that movie blew my mind)

Does HDTGM have a seasonal timeline or will it be airing all year?

Would you ever consider recording a secondary audio comedic commentary (SACC) for a HDTGM episode that we can play while watching a movie?

When will you tackle the Big Mamma's franchise? Scared?

I had the same question that Derek had. Have you guys considered doing an audio commentary that you play while watching the movie? Adam Carolla does this with his Basic Cable Commentaries and charges 3$ through Itunes. I'd definitely pay for that and actually I'd pay a lot more just to hear Jason flip out. Just a thought.

How much does the financial success or failure of the movie weigh in while choosing?

Will you ever do an episode about a movie that you, June or Jason have been in?

Hey Paul,
what is the decision process for movies you review like? Do you look for certain aspects, like wasted star power, terrible reviews or bad special effects, or is it just a personal preference? For example, why did you chose to watch The Back-Up Plan, which is a bad chick flick, but not that much worse than most movies in that genre instead of a Gigli or a Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie, which are ostensibly much worse movies? What I'm saying is please review Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie!

SHAUN....ANSWERS

First of all let me congratulate you on Ntsf: SDSU: SUV, its fucking hilarious and also let me congratulate you on the even more impressive feat of bagging June Diane Rapahel.

Thank You! Thanks for watching

1. Is there any movies that you considered doing but you were just too close to. Like you were friends with somebody in the movie and didn't want to offend them. Or maybe a movie was released by a company you were doing business with or wanted to do business with.

Yes. Unfortunately this comes up a lot. I can't tell you which ones but their are issues

2. Have you ever ran into anybody you made fun of in the podcast in real life.

Not Yet.

3.Have you considered doing a movie and having a guest who was in that movie. For example discussing Operation Endgame with a Mr. Adam Scott. ( I really want to hear Operation Endgame on the show , that movie blew my mind)

Yes. We have a plan for that. But it's also political. It's a tough situation. because most people don't want to publicly bad mouth their employers.

DEREK - ANSWERS

Does HDTGM have a seasonal timeline or will it be airing all year?

Every other week. No signs of stopping.

Would you ever consider recording a secondary audio comedic commentary (SACC) for a HDTGM episode that we can play while watching a movie?

We might but we feel other podcasts do that, specifically RIFFTRAX and we don't want to step on their toes.

When will you tackle the Big Mamma's franchise? Scared?

They are on our master list

AGENT ORANGE & FOAM ANSWERS

BOX OFFICE plays a part but it's not pivotal. The content dictates the choice.

FOAM - Potentially but see SHAUN'S ANSWERS for why that's tricky.

STEFAN ANSWERS

what is the decision process for movies you review like? Do you look for certain aspects, like wasted star power, terrible reviews or bad special
effects, or is it just a personal preference?

Back Up plan came about because I was in a hotel and I stumbled across it and I was like we need to do that! But I agree their isn't a strong structure in our choices. This is basically the criteria -- 1.) Has it been requested by multiple listeners, 2.) Is is good bad and not just boring bad (i.e. Jonah Hex), 3.) Is it a mainstream movie? 4.) Is there a compelling element to hearing us talk about it was it a bomb, does it have huge stars, etc...Will the listeners of the show immediately recognize the title. 5.) Is it mined territory, we feel like the room and Troll 2 have been done. Can we bring something new to it. 6.) Did one of us stumble across it and love it.

Dungeons and Dragon is now going on our master list.

Paul, first of all I LOVE The League and can't wait for season 3! I saw you guys at Bonnaroo. To the point I recently tried to watch Pearl Harbor for the first time because I swear I heard a few people saw it wasn't too bad, I couldn't finish it. Do you generally plan to keep the movies at the normal 90 minute length or are you going to have some epic, sweeping piles of shit for the show? Love the podcast and I hope it goes on for a long time to come.

Hey Paul! Love your stuff.

I know that you will never run out of great movies to talk about for the podcast, but do you ever worry that the golden era of truly bad movies has passed us by? It seems like most modern movies realize that they are ridiculous and do a little wink (Crank franchise, or your Pirannah 3D, not a criticism because I love all those movies) or have an attitude of, "screw you, we know it's bad but we're printing money" (Grown Ups, Paul Blart, etc).

But even the best action movies from the 70's all the way through the 90's have some amazing unintentionally hilarious components. Face/Off has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes but hinges on a supercriminal and a supercop trading faces without telling their families. Con Air is a popular action comedy that has scene where escaped pedophile murderer Steve Buscemi reforms his serial killin' ways because he meets a beautiful and unchaperoned little girl living on an abandoned airfield that understands him.

Anyway, look forward to the podcast every other week! Give my best to your co-hosts.

I've noticed that you haven't done a bad horror movie yet despite there being tons of possible canditates, is there any reason for that or have you just not gotten around to it yet?

Hey Paul.

I was in a hotel room on the weekend and I find a channel playing a Jennifer Lopez movie where she's walking dogs. I remember "Dog Store" from the podcast and I get pretty excited, knowing a chance run-in with this movie is the only way I'm ever watching it.
well I was pretty disappointed to find out it was some piece of trash called Monster in Law. what I'm trying to say is, do an episode on this movie. you guys will love it, it's ridiculous and incredibly stupid. and what the fuck is Adam Scott doing in there??
---
since I've got u here I'll throw out one suggestion.

you can't go wrong with that shit.
anyways, awesome show. keep on doing great work.

WILL ANSWER - MOST ANNOYING THING - When fans give me money, it's annoying but I don't want to be rude, so I take it.

BEN ANSWER - I think there will always be bad movies, granted it's harder to find but Old Dogs, Burlesque and Babylon AD fit that bill easily.
Your description of Con Air makes me think we MUST do that one.

BLARFO ANSWER - Thanks?

ROBIN - Not intentional. But You are right we need to fix that.

DAN - Yes to Both

Do you still have plans to do a HDTGM about a TV show, or some other medium maybe?