🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
temjeito

The Happening - (it's never happening, but talk about it if you want)

Holy shit, this movie is Birdemic with a legit budget.

If you've been looking for an M. Night Shamylan film in which Mark Whalberg runs from wind for 90 minutes, look no further. Yes, theres a cheap monster effect for you, the wind. Oh, and you'll also love Zoey Daschanel's vacant, wide-eyed glare the entire movie. It's almost like it was slowly dawning on her that she was making a movie with Mark Whalberg and M. Night Shamylan. This is definitely one of the worst pieces of celluloid feces Night has ever produced. My god, how long are they going to let this hack keep making films. There is nothing good about this film, except the humor that comes from it's poor quality. Between the ridiculous "twists", terrible acting(on everyone's part), and preachy message, there is a lot of material for an episode.

I really think M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dong should have had his credentials revoked after Lady in The Water. Just utter crap! I have yet to watch any of his self-gratifying art for art's sake nonsense since.

• Like 2

i signed up just to say that THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. this movie is hilaaaaariously bad.

It is mindbogglingly poor for sure. A lot of podcasts have covered the film just for its shockingly poor story, dialogue and ending. Oddly effective early kills do help you think this might be good but without a triffid in sight they were doomed after that.

I've never seen the film in its entirety, but in every part I have seen, Wahlberg looks completely baffled. Is it because HE can't believe that he's playing a teacher either?

Yeah, this was a really bad, really weird movie. I have to say though, I always have a little bit of respect for someone who tries to do something different, whether they succeed or not. I still kinda think the guy has potential, it all depends on whether or not he'll learn from his mistakes.

I almost laughed out in the theater when Marky Mark was apologizing to a plastic plant and even acknowledged that he was. This movie sucked outside of the interesting suicides which were actually pretty well done.

I've never seen the film in its entirety, but in every part I have seen, Wahlberg looks completely baffled. Is it because HE can't believe that he's playing a teacher either?

I think that's just Mark Wahlberg's face.

Have you heard his apology for the movie? He said, "You can’t blame me for not wanting to try to play a science teacher. At least I wasn’t playing a cop or a crook."

Yes, apparently all those times he's been in action movies, Mark Wahlberg's greatest dream was to play a science teacher.

ETA: I may have misread that. "You can't blame me for not wanting to..." There have to be better ways to phrase that.

Maybe he just meant that he didn't think he was a good choice either, but then he always gets busted on for playing those other things, which he's actually really good at. You gotta let him be a peacock! You gotta let him fly!

• Like 1

I still don't understand how M. Night still gets funding for movies, he has officially become the more popular, and I use that term loosely, Uwe Boll. The only good thing about this movie was that the deaths/suicides were pretty interesting to watch, otherwise this thing was shit. From talking about dying bees, to how the crazy couple had to have enough hot dogs for their trip to safety, to Zooey having guilt about meeting a friend for dinner and acting like she cheated on Marky Mark rather than the usual trope of the man feeling that way, this movie sucked balls. And to top it off you have people running around afraid of changing wind and Marky Mark being literally out-acted by a plastic plant!

Can we start a new tally for Jason-isms? We have already heard people do a literally count, so can we have a count for "what is happening," "dumb-dumb," "dildo," and "this made me furious."

oh man, i know HDTGM doesn't do characters but i can just imagine Paul F. Tompkins doing Werner Herzog for this episode hahaha.

• Like 1

oh man, i know HDTGM doesn't do characters but i can just imagine Paul F. Tompkins doing Werner Herzog for this episode hahaha.

Paul F. Tompkins doing Werner Herzog is a good addition to anything! But yes, I remember watching 'The Happening' and frequently thinking to myself, "how is THIS HAPPENING?" An appropriately horrendous movie and topic for this podcast.

Can they do a history of M Night's movies starting with Unbreakable through list last one? My personal least favorite was Signs because for some reason i thought it would be good, but aliens invading a planet made up of 80 or 90% water, which kills them is so lubricious!

Killer Plants that cause you to commit suicide and M. Night Shyamalan. This movie is so ridiculous if you haven't watched this you need to.

• Like 2