🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 147 - Gamer: LIVE!

Edit: I just 'liked' my own post, that's how excited I am. Not unliking.

My oh my, how flagrantly undignified.

Careful with those likes, I've heard some real horror stories about people who clicked "Like" on their own posts.

• Like 2

So-I loved this choice for the next HDTGM film! I definitely agree that it took itself too seriously, unlike Crank and Crank 2, however it still had that Neveldine/Taylor tone :) One thing that I think was missed was that at the end, when the scene on the basketball court begins, Michael C Hall is referencing Bruce Lee from (I believe) "Enter the Dragon". There is a famous scene where Bruce Lee is fighting one of the "Super-Bad-Guys" at the end of either Enter the Dragon or one of the other big ones where Bruce Lee is slashed across his stomach leaving 3 slashes across his abdomen, just like Michael C Hall's inexplicable slash that he receives from Gereard Butler. He's also wearing a robe similar to Bruce Lee's iconic garb. Anyhow, obviously not super important, but I thought it was a bizarre reference in the middle of and even more bizarre film.

That's all for now :)

• Like 1

Hey all,

First time poster, and I had to jump on quick before work, so I apologize if this was already covered since I didn't sift through the 9 pages before first.

Paul mentioned on the episode that Neveldine and Taylor have gone their separate ways in the past couple of years, and that we will finally get to see which of the two drove things over the top, and which one filled the movies with tits. The first of these two has been answered with their IMDB pages.

Mark Neveldine directed the The Vatican Tapes in 2015, a rather run-of-the-mill attempt at an Exorcism horror film that didn't fair too well with critics.

Meanwhile Brian Taylor has a movie coming out next year, starring Nic Cage, called Mom and Dad. Here is the description from IMDb. "A teenage girl and her little brother must survive a wild 24 hours during which a mass hysteria of unknown origins causes parents to turn violently on their own kids."

Suffice it to say, Taylor is definitely the "maximalist" of the two, as Jason put it. While The Vatican Tapes did not prove Neveldine was specifically responsible for the amounts of nudity in Gamer, it could instead hint at a relationship between the two in which Neveldine lays out the initial story concepts for their movies, to which Taylor would inject the coke-fueled-sideshow aesthetic that they are known for.

• Like 2

In regards to the Crank/Gamer shared universe, there's the fact that in Crank Chev Chelios poses as a video game designer to his girlfriend, there's the

, and the fan theory that the events of Crank is actually the GTA-style game that Chev designed.

So it could be assumed that in this shared universe, "Crank" is actually another game similar to "Society" and "Slayers" and Chev Chelios is an associate of Michael C. Hall's character. Or maybe they're Steve Jobs/Bill Gates style rivals and Crank is a competing with MCH's games.