Sign in to follow this  
SamEyeAm

Do we really want podcasts to go mainstream?

Ok, this is gonna seem a little douchey, but I've thought about this for some time and I'm not really sure I do. On the one hand, I want my favorite hosts and everyone involved behind the scenes to finally be compensated for all their hard work. And I love the recognition that podcasts have recently been getting in traditional media outlets. But podcasts have always been like my punk rock music and I feel like the more people that start listening and making their own podcasts, the lower the overall quality of the podcast brand. Sure we'll still have our faves, but do you really wanna see "The Ryan Seacrest Podcast"? Actually I would like to see that...bad example.

i guess what I'm saying is I don't wanna feel like those nerds who no longer go to Comic Con because it's gotten too commercial. That's all.

Lower the quality of the podcast brand? Do you mean Earwolf or all of podcasting, Its not like you listen to every podcast that exists, and im sure jeff dunham isnt coming to Earwolf. We all want to feel special but not at the cost of the very thing we love.

I think Stern is the argument against the likelihood of that. He makes way more money than anyone in talk-based audio entertainment and he makes it because he's virtually unfiltered.
In comedy podcasting Carolla appears to be top dog right now and although the show has their live reads there's never the sense Adam is toning himself down to to keep the sponsors happy. I think (or at least I hope) even when big advertisers wake up to podcasting they'll realise that the power of podcasting is in how intimate and personal it is, and anything they do to try to have the personalities change their styles will only backfire.

@Bucho I concur. I haven't got the vibe off anyone (in my listening rotation) that they're toning down their content or comprimising their ideals to get advertising money. Certainly some will, but the available content is only expanding and improving in quality.

Podcasts becoming more mainstream just means more choices, more voices, and more incentive to release quality shows.

Why do I get the feeling that Sam uses the term "the Man" unironically? Did you like bands before I heard them?

I think it's a pretty silly argument. I mean, did you leave the internet after it went mainstream? Like many websites and a lot of modern TV, a lot of podcasts are created as a labour of love and as well as a way to fill a niche. The fact of the matter is that Scott is simply creating the podcasts he thinks are good (although I think he even has to question the end results of EarDrop, but we all thought that was a good idea). I think a fear of the mainstream is a bit silly. I've never been to Comic Con, but the thing of that convention is that there are still a lot of panels that fill niche interests and that the only issue with more popularity is that there's a greater chance that there might be jerks among the fans,. But big deal, it also might mean that if Scott is more successful, than it will allow for more opportunities, and more for his fans.

But hey, there's always CB radio.

I did state that it was douchey of me to feel this way. And if I didn't make it clear before I will now and say that I want nothing more than for Scott, Jeff and Co. (as well as some other podcasters) to be successful in this newfangled media thing. There is no doubt in my mind that Earwolf will continue to provide quality content in the years to come whether podcasts go mainstream or not. But here, look at reality tv. There are some damn good reality shows out there. But the genre has become so saturated and f'd out. It gets tough to sort through the muck and what sucks is all the reality shows get lumped together. I mean, would you like to see The Snooki Podcast pop up in the "You might also like" section when downloading Who Charted?...Actually I would like to see that one too, damn it!

@SamEyeAm Just like any other media platform, there's going to be great stuff that no one's heard of, and terrible stuff that is somehow incredibly popular. Those who have more "refined taste" will just have to find outlets that share similar views, as they do now. For example, I find a lot of music and movies through various blogs and review sites I trust to give me good recommendations. Hopefully Earwolf can be that outlet to those looking for higher quality podcasts once podcasts break through into the mainstream.

@Johnny Eardrop is going to be getting a brand new life within the coming weeks. It'll offer much more value to those participating, and hopefully will see more content per day than it did even in the first week of Eardrop v1.

Great! I love the idea of EarDrop so much, and while there were some great sketches, there also seems to be a lot of padding, then nothing. I think it's a very cool way to experiment, or just do a quick joke. Also, airport sounds aren't a joke.