🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrot1

Pledge Drive & Fundraising

I think it would be really cool to have a guest on the Wolf Den from the old school of public radio on to talk about fundraising & pledge drives. I used to work on a reasonably popular syndicated NPR show, and the corporate people have a lot of knowledge about what works and what doesn't when it comes to financial appeals. I know podcasting is supposed to be this brave new world of internet crowdsourcing, but the public radio folks have been in that game for years.
-
Also, one suggestion I have about the pledge drive - operationalize it. You've spoken about how few people donate, but if you listen to the appeals on This American Life or some of the other big NPR & PRI podcasts, they'll talk numbers - we have this many downloads, this much costs, this many people who aren't paying (who you can cover for). Mentioning what it's for is great, but it might be more successful if you broke it down and shamed people a little more. I don't really know what I'm talking about, though, this is just what I learned from sitting in on a meeting about fundraising for the podcast of our show.
-
Hope I'm not repeating anything someone else has posted about. Also, as for models, my vote is the paid archive - it's crazy that I could download 2 years of CDR a few months ago, hours and hours of hilarious content for free. Having a few of the old ones - maybe the yearly best-ofs, or some select episodes - available for free and the rest for a nominal fee would be great. It's different for the new shows, obviously, but a move like that seems par for the podcasting course these days.

I know it must cost a lot to run the Earwolf operation, and I feel bad for not donating (yet! I promise!), but I agree with the idea of hearing hard numbers, which may sway more people into donating if we knew how much (generally speaking, of course) it cost to bring so much entertainment to so many people for free.

Also, Jeff I miss your weekly updates! I hope you come back to catch up with the Wolf Pack soon.

Sign in to follow this