🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 309 - It's Okay, We're Vine

Actress, writer, dancer Arielle Vandenberg joins Howard and guest co-host Ele Woods for some truly spoOoky Halloween themed charts! They talk about Vine retiring and Arielle’s Minutemen connection as they count down Billboard’s Top 5 Halloween Songs. Then, Arielle shares a terrifying childhood tale of a troll doll that wanted nothing more than to be hugged during the Top 5 Halloween Movies Chart. Finally, we hear about the new Howard headshot, Howard’s wiki method to watching movies, and sibling rivalry during Two Charted!

Thank you 'Stard for bringing up that mystifying "BIP" in Werewolves of London. It has always made me laugh and I almost impatiently wait for it to happen whenever I hear the song. It sounds like they snipped the sound clip early, and there is no other sound in the song that resembles it in any way

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at trader vic's, his hair was perfect.... NA!"

• Like 1

The Minuteman question that didn't get answered:

A song on Double Nickels on the Dime called "Take 5, D." is partially credited to Dirk Vandenberg.

The song is some guitar noodling with a spoken word performance of a note left by a landlord telling the tenant not to use the shower because it needs to be caulked properly as water is leaking down into the apartments below and soaking the walls and ceiling. Apparently, the note was left for Dirk and he shared it with Watt who was moved to "perform" it on the song.

Since I'm feeling extra pedantic today, the "Jackass Theme" is a song titled "Corona" off that same album.

Also, Halloween was directed (and scored BTW) by John Carpenter

• Like 1

Kevin killed it this week. Got 3 new bands to check out!

• Like 1

You guys! I went and saw 'stard play with Honus Honus at the Ottobar last night. Good times.

IMG_0248_zpsgvoyt6p7.jpg

• Like 5

Loving the Minutemen talk

If you take a blind stab at "same home town, any connection?", you really couldn't ask for a better result.

For anyone who was paying attention, this episode may have featured the most direct implication of Howard's age yet.

If you take a blind stab at "same home town, any connection?", you really couldn't ask for a better result.

For anyone who was paying attention, this episode may have featured the most direct implication of Howard's age yet.

If you want to take it a step further, there's a guy who does a whole website where he tracks down the locations of iconic album covers. He did a Billy Joel post including Streetlife Serenade (he's NYC-based, so I don't know if he's a big fan or it's just convenient--he does Dylan and The Who and The Clash so i'm prepared to let it slide) which has a building in San Pedro.

http://www.popspotsnyc.com/streetlife_serenade/

Myself and few others folks responded about the Minutemen being from Pedro. I'm not sure if he said he would look at Double Nickels on the Dime specifically, but I did some preliminary street view research myself because I think it's a fun thing. I'd really like to ask her if she knows exactly where the cover photo was taken. It might not look anything like it did in the early 80's (see his post for the cover of Blonde on Blonde if you want to see how much an area can change in 20 or 30 years).

Sign in to follow this