🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
adamingwell

Envy (2004)

Another very crappy film from Barry Levinson where Ben Stiller and Jack Black's friendship falls apart when one's fame causing another to be jealous of him. This flick stunk so bad that its stars publicly apologized for their work on Envy.

To be fair, 'Tropic Thunder' (I assume you're referring to that one), was directed by Ben Stiller and is pretty great, at least I think so. As for 'Envy,' I've avoided it due to its horrific reputation, but everything I've heard makes it seem like perfect fodder for this podcast. Barry Levinson's filmography does have its fair share of unbelievable garbage to balance out movies like 'The Natural' or 'Rain Man.' 'Toys' alone is enough to convince most sane people of that.

I really need to recommend the 2004 Jack Black film ENVY to this list of potential stick bombs to screen. It never seems to show up on typical lists of "good bad movies", maybe just because it's damn near unwatchable. Its the cinematic equivalent to having a bone marrow transplant. It's terrible in a way where immediately you think maybe Jack Black and Ben Stiller just hate you, and your life, and your happiness, and made this movie just to stomp all over it.

Please, Please, Please. Make an old Blockbuster lackey, who WAS FORCED to watch this for work, happy by having this on How Did This Get Made.

Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy_(2004_film)

People seem to forget about this one, for both the right reasons AND because Ben Stiller had like 12 other movies out in 2004 that were all at least decent to great!

Honestly, this movie is pretty forgettable and as such I think it would be too boring to dissect.

This movie really is a shit sandwich. I think it's worth noting that not only is it Ben Stiller and Jack Black, but Christopher Walken, Rachel Weisz, AND Amy Poehler are in this movie too. That much star power should not have led to such a terrible movie.

I used to talk people out of buying this when I worked at Suncoast.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this