🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 1 — Analyze Phish

Scott and Harris together always makes for a funny and entertaining show.

I used to be a huge Phish fan. Grew out of it, but this was a fun nostalgia trip. I also feel the strong urge to make tons of suggestions on which songs to play and all that, but I'll skip it.

I hope Scott never turns and the show continues on. This will make a great addition to the near perfect Earwolf stable, and probably a good move from a marketing perspective as well. Thanks for the laughs.

I'm definately a pseudo-fan of this band. I've never seen them live, but for some random reason, I really got into their album Undermind. I know that studio Phish is not highly regarded, but I think this album has some really great straightforward guitar rock. Any power pop fan would love a song like The Connection and there are some pretty excellent psychedelic-type songs (A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing) and even some more orchestrated (as in, played with an orchestra) songs like Secret Smile. To my ears, this album makes a great case for Phish outside of any "jam band" context.

Also, did Scott ever post his top ten bands? I'm curious about these, if posting them does not constitute some egregious invasion of privacy. Please share...and please make another episode! I'd listen to Scott and Harris talk about almost anything.

I'm definately a pseudo-fan of this band. I've never seen them live, but for some random reason, I really got into their album Undermind. I know that studio Phish is not highly regarded, but I think this album has some really great straightforward guitar rock. Any power pop fan would love a song like The Connection and there are some pretty excellent psychedelic-type songs (A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing) and even some more orchestrated (as in, played with an orchestra) songs like Secret Smile. To my ears, this album makes a great case for Phish outside of any "jam band" context.

Also, did Scott ever post his top ten bands? I'm curious about these, if posting them does not constitute some egregious invasion of privacy. Please share...and please make another episode! I'd listen to Scott and Harris talk about almost anything.

Yo play him some Possum. Everyone enjoys Possum. And get another episode out there. Harris, I'll see you in Denver this weekend

Yo play him some Possum. Everyone enjoys Possum. And get another episode out there. Harris, I'll see you in Denver this weekend

I hate commenting without having read everything that came before, but it's been 11 pages, and after reading half of the comments, I just wanted to say that I like this show a lot. Harris came across as being really prepared, so I can gladly wait for him to get all of his song choices prepared for episode two. I don't connect with Phish's music. I'll see if my mind changes, but if not, and at the very least, it's fun to listen to someone discuss music they're passionate about. And then it's funny to hear some else that disagrees.
I thought some of the Analyze Phish fans would enjoy the following videos of Portlandia's Carrie Brownstein wading into the Phish waters.

I hate commenting without having read everything that came before, but it's been 11 pages, and after reading half of the comments, I just wanted to say that I like this show a lot. Harris came across as being really prepared, so I can gladly wait for him to get all of his song choices prepared for episode two. I don't connect with Phish's music. I'll see if my mind changes, but if not, and at the very least, it's fun to listen to someone discuss music they're passionate about. And then it's funny to hear some else that disagrees.
I thought some of the Analyze Phish fans would enjoy the following videos of Portlandia's Carrie Brownstein wading into the Phish waters.

So, since Harris wrote on the Sarah Silverman Program, did he write on the episode where she goes to see a jam band, takes acid, and realizes that the band sucks without drugs?

So, since Harris wrote on the Sarah Silverman Program, did he write on the episode where she goes to see a jam band, takes acid, and realizes that the band sucks without drugs?

Just a thought, tape part of the next episode wandering through the parking lot before a show and at intermission (if you guys make it to one together). Should be lots of funny stuff there for Scott to check out. Also, Bittersweet Motel is a really great rock documentary about Phish done by Todd Phillips (Hangover, Old School) from 11 years ago. Phish fan or not, it does a good job of illuminating some of the spirit of the experience of the live show, and the serious and not so serious side of the band and the music. Thanks for the new podcast, you and Harris together are some cool bros, hangin out doin what bros do. Keep it comin!

Just a thought, tape part of the next episode wandering through the parking lot before a show and at intermission (if you guys make it to one together). Should be lots of funny stuff there for Scott to check out. Also, Bittersweet Motel is a really great rock documentary about Phish done by Todd Phillips (Hangover, Old School) from 11 years ago. Phish fan or not, it does a good job of illuminating some of the spirit of the experience of the live show, and the serious and not so serious side of the band and the music. Thanks for the new podcast, you and Harris together are some cool bros, hangin out doin what bros do. Keep it comin!

Play Scott the Meatstick video from NYE where they show a bit of the choreography before the show then go through the whole song live. Otherwise try Sample, KDF or Maze. If he likes nothing after a bunch of shows, tell him your real favorite is TTE and shut your eyes while your playing it for him and groove with a serious look on your face.

Play Scott the Meatstick video from NYE where they show a bit of the choreography before the show then go through the whole song live. Otherwise try Sample, KDF or Maze. If he likes nothing after a bunch of shows, tell him your real favorite is TTE and shut your eyes while your playing it for him and groove with a serious look on your face.

Please at the very least one more show with harris and scott. I can't take the not having at least one more show and saying you know what next show a year from now, that I understand. Don't have it be some sort of cruel cruel cruel joke.

Please at the very least one more show with harris and scott. I can't take the not having at least one more show and saying you know what next show a year from now, that I understand. Don't have it be some sort of cruel cruel cruel joke.

Great episode but Harris really missed the boat with the examples, just like all the commentators. The problem is they are thinking about it as a Phish fan. They're not getting what Scott is looking for. He needs an element of darkness and meaningful lyrics. All of those are there in Phish, just not in the examples Harris played. Here is exactly what Scott needs to here and why. Any of these would be better than each of Harris's examples.
Maze ( dark, evocative lyics, epic build)
Super Ball Jam #2 post-Golden Age 7/2/11 (immediately drops you in to some of Phish's most sophisticated complete meltdown modern interplay)
Divided Sky (most beautiful melody Phish/Trey ever composed)
My Friend My Friend (best dark Phish song)
Strange Design (Beatlesque, great Page vocals)
Meat (Mike's best song)
Piper (full band dark psychedlia, preferably "Miami Piper (03)"
Frankie Says (underrated non-groove gem)
Swept Away > Steep (hauntingly beautiful and poetic)

Trust me, play these songs and you'll have much different results.

Great episode but Harris really missed the boat with the examples, just like all the commentators. The problem is they are thinking about it as a Phish fan. They're not getting what Scott is looking for. He needs an element of darkness and meaningful lyrics. All of those are there in Phish, just not in the examples Harris played. Here is exactly what Scott needs to here and why. Any of these would be better than each of Harris's examples.
Maze ( dark, evocative lyics, epic build)
Super Ball Jam #2 post-Golden Age 7/2/11 (immediately drops you in to some of Phish's most sophisticated complete meltdown modern interplay)
Divided Sky (most beautiful melody Phish/Trey ever composed)
My Friend My Friend (best dark Phish song)
Strange Design (Beatlesque, great Page vocals)
Meat (Mike's best song)
Piper (full band dark psychedlia, preferably "Miami Piper (03)"
Frankie Says (underrated non-groove gem)
Swept Away > Steep (hauntingly beautiful and poetic)

Trust me, play these songs and you'll have much different results.

Sign in to follow this