🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

just back from Atomic Blonde. It's ok. abit slow in places but once it kicks off it's very good. Charlize's accent isn't great (when it's there) but other than that she's amazing. the fight scenes are nuts. and i love when James McEvoy plays crazy! worth a watch but don't sit in the front row.... i got there late

• Like 1

just back from Atomic Blonde. It's ok. abit slow in places but once it kicks off it's very good. Charlize's accent isn't great (when it's there) but other than that she's amazing. the fight scenes are nuts. and i love when James McEvoy plays crazy! worth a watch but don't sit in the front row.... i got there late

I liked it as well but I figured out the twist about halfway through the film which was kind of a letdown. Didn't realize it was based on a comic or that it was set at the end of the Cold War so that was a nice change of pace from what I was expecting although I felt they muddled up the middle only to try and conceal the twist and make it to a 2hr run time.

• Like 2

I'm not ready to put this in the recommendation thread but this trailer really caused me to pause and consider seeing this movie, solely for how much it strays from the tone it sets up in the first 30 seconds. The Death Wish films are dark, serious action movies where the main character does a complete 180 from his lifelong viewpoints to become a vigilante, yet this one has Bruce Willis smirking and joking with people, all set to Back in Black by AC/DC. The song itself sets the wrong tone for the film as it's a metal song with an upbeat tempo that is a polar opposite of what the movie should be. I'm hoping this is just a bad trailer, but would not be surprised if this was Bruce Willis being Bruce Willis and just wanting to play it like he's played every role for the past 15 years.

I liked it as well but I figured out the twist about halfway through the film which was kind of a letdown. Didn't realize it was based on a comic or that it was set at the end of the Cold War so that was a nice change of pace from what I was expecting although I felt they muddled up the middle only to try and conceal the twist and make it to a 2hr run time.

yeah. i stayed away from the trailers and write ups so it was all new to me. it's definitely 30 mins too long. more john wick 2 than john wick 1 but john wick 2 is well worth a see too.

• Like 1

Saw it Saturday and liked it a lot... One scene that I did not get was the "ride from the airport" and how it fits at the end... Also "NEEDS MORE Til Schweiger!!" Other than that, It was a great movie and the soundtrack was epic.

Saw it Saturday and liked it a lot... One scene that I did not get was the "ride from the airport" and how it fits at the end... Also "NEEDS MORE Til Schweiger!!" Other than that, It was a great movie and the soundtrack was epic.

I think that was because they didn't know who Satchel was yet, so when it was "leaked" to the Russians that an MI6 agent is coming to collect the body of another agent, they were sent to get rid of her. The leak was from Theron who was covering her tracks in making it seem like McAvoy was the double agent.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsPLw7I06eY

I'm not ready to put this in the recommendation thread but this trailer really caused me to pause and consider seeing this movie, solely for how much it strays from the tone it sets up in the first 30 seconds. The Death Wish films are dark, serious action movies where the main character does a complete 180 from his lifelong viewpoints to become a vigilante, yet this one has Bruce Willis smirking and joking with people, all set to Back in Black by AC/DC. The song itself sets the wrong tone for the film as it's a metal song with an upbeat tempo that is a polar opposite of what the movie should be. I'm hoping this is just a bad trailer, but would not be surprised if this was Bruce Willis being Bruce Willis and just wanting to play it like he's played every role for the past 15 years.

Yeah.... I don't quite know what to make of this. I think if you really wanted to make the same impact as the original Death Wish, it might take having your lead be someone like Idris Elba or Denzel Washington (African American male of the appropriate age, fame, handsomeness, and gravitas), then the film begins with the character's famiy being shot by (dirty?) cops. You can extrapolate where the film would go from there, but it would certainly have more resonance than this version of Die Hard 7 Harder Dying Bruce Willis killing random scary-looking criminals then quipping. You'd probably never get that film financed but I think it would be an interesting twist on the Frank Castle masturbatory fantasy (or inspiration for the character) that is the Death Wish franchise.

Yeah.... I don't quite know what to make of this. I think if you really wanted to make the same impact as the original Death Wish, it might take having your lead be someone like Idris Elba or Denzel Washington (African American male of the appropriate age, fame, handsomeness, and gravitas), then the film begins with the character's famiy being shot by (dirty?) cops. You can extrapolate where the film would go from there, but it would certainly have more resonance than this version of Die Hard 7 Harder Dying Bruce Willis killing random scary-looking criminals then quipping. You'd probably never get that film financed but I think it would be an interesting twist on the Frank Castle masturbatory fantasy (or inspiration for the character) that is the Death Wish franchise.

I don't care how the person gets to where they question their morals, I just at least want the tone to be the dark tone it was because that is the only way it works without becoming schlocky. I actually liked the first 30-45 seconds as it showed Willis trying to deal with this loss and figuring out he needed to get his hands dirty, even using death traps to get his revenge, because it was still in that tone. Even with Eli Roth as the director I thought this would be the right combo because he can get the violence and darkness where it needs to be, then it all goes south real quick. I can tell you right now that if you wanted to make this trailer the right tone and a total home run, replace "Back in Black" with "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. There's a song with a brooding tone about loss and coming to grips with moving forward and with the old urban legends about the song it would work well for a vigilante film. Hell inter cut the crescendo drum beat to bullet shots to sell the movie to action fans, and BAM you just won Hollywood.

I would love to see Denzel in the role as he would finally be in a Death Wish movie after years of people mistaking him for having his first role being in the original Death Wish as a nameless thug.

• Like 2

I thought Atomic Blonde was pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure the script was written by a horny 14-year-old that was just like, "Yeah, fight! Now kiss! Now boobies! Now more fight!"

I would love to see Denzel in the role as he would finally be in a Death Wish movie after years of people mistaking him for having his first role being in the original Death Wish as a nameless thug.

Maybe they're confusing him with Goldblum...

orvDd_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

• Like 4

T51Mf7v.jpg

In the movie it does look like him because it's a very quick scene but in a frozen frame you can tell it's not him, and it's gotten to the point where's he given multiple interviews on how he's not the guy in the movie.

• Like 2

I don't care how the person gets to where they question their morals, I just at least want the tone to be the dark tone it was because that is the only way it works without becoming schlocky. I actually liked the first 30-45 seconds as it showed Willis trying to deal with this loss and figuring out he needed to get his hands dirty, even using death traps to get his revenge, because it was still in that tone. Even with Eli Roth as the director I thought this would be the right combo because he can get the violence and darkness where it needs to be, then it all goes south real quick. I can tell you right now that if you wanted to make this trailer the right tone and a total home run, replace "Back in Black" with "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. There's a song with a brooding tone about loss and coming to grips with moving forward and with the old urban legends about the song it would work well for a vigilante film. Hell inter cut the crescendo drum beat to bullet shots to sell the movie to action fans, and BAM you just won Hollywood.

Well.... I agree with everything you said.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF CON AIR, Antonio Banderas chewing scenery, terrible puns, and the amazing Olga Kurylenko continuing to be misused/wasted by Hollywood:

• Like 1

I thought Atomic Blonde was pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure the script was written by a horny 14-year-old that was just like, "Yeah, fight! Now kiss! Now boobies! Now more fight!"

Have you seen John Wick (2014) ???

What would you change in Atomic Blonde to make it good/better/great ???

• Like 1

Have you seen John Wick (2014) ???

What would you change in Atomic Blonde to make it good/better/great ???

Yeah, I've seen John Wick, and it's great.

The first thing I'd do in Atomic Blonde is have someone that can write dialgue take a stab at the script. There are so many shitty cheesy lines in that movie (starting with the whole stupid "cocksucker" line in the interrogation). Then I'd actually write the characters instead of making these thinly sketched people I don't care about. And then I'd get rid of the whole male gaze jerking off that constitutes half the movie.

To me, this movie was the Boondocks Saints to John Wick's Pulp Fiction. It's a badly written, pale imitation that misses everything that was great about the original.

*Public Service Announcement*

DO NOT waste your time with Baywatch (2017), Rob Huebel and Hannibal Buress were the only ones that nailed the tone that the entire movie should of had, its a shame their roles were brief.

IMHO Both the movie and the jokes were 10 to 20 years too late (They even carbon copied the "There's Something About Mary" zipper scene)

If you want to see The Rock and Alexandra Daddario (+ Carla Gugino and Paul Giamatti)I recommend you see "San Andreas" instead...

*This has been a Public Service Announcement...*

Thank+you+for+your+time+and+attention!.jpg

Have a splendid day... :)

• Like 3

i saw this trailer when i went to see baby driver but the movie only came out over here this weekend. i'm not saying this is a movie worth watching but i wanted to comment on the trailer. i've moaned before about how bad trailers are now and how they show you too much but this takes it to a whole other level. i know i haven't seen the movie but i'm pretty sure they basically showed you 90% of the movie. i'm guessing there's a nicolas sparks type twist at the end but this is ridiculous.

• Like 2

i've moaned before about how bad trailers are now and how they show you too much but this takes it to a whole other level. i know i haven't seen the movie but i'm pretty sure they basically showed you 90% of the movie. i'm guessing there's a nicolas sparks type twist at the end but this is ridiculous.

90%... So they showed ALMOST "everything, everything" ;)

(They probably thought to themselves... If we are going to show the whole movie THIS is the trailer to do it)

• Like 1

i've moaned before about how bad trailers are now and how they show you too much but this takes it to a whole other level. i know i haven't seen the movie but i'm pretty sure they basically showed you 90% of the movie.

That's why you watch trailers for A24 films. They are probably the perfect trailers in my book.

And speaking of which....THE FIRST TRAILER FOR THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER CAME OUT YESTERDAY!" It's Yorgos Lanthimos' (The Lobster, Dogtooth) new movie, and it's supposed to be a psychological horror movie, and I can't be more excited for it!

• Like 1

i saw this trailer when i went to see baby driver but the movie only came out over here this weekend. i'm not saying this is a movie worth watching but i wanted to comment on the trailer. i've moaned before about how bad trailers are now and how they show you too much but this takes it to a whole other level. i know i haven't seen the movie but i'm pretty sure they basically showed you 90% of the movie. i'm guessing there's a nicolas sparks type twist at the end but this is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42KNwQ6u42U

I have to rant about this book for a little while because I really like the author and the premise is the lead character has the "bubble boy" disease that so often gets made fun of. And I thought, "How great to show what living with illness is actually like!" when I first heard about it. I have a chronic illness, not anything as bad as that, but like it's difficult to accept that your days are just never going to be like you see on TV or whatever.

But the Nicolas Sparks-like twist you refer to is that the mother made it up to "keep her safe" and she doesn't have the disease at all. Then they go to therapy and stuff is fine (because the father and brother died and she was like too distraught about that and didn't want to lose her daughter too?). BUT THAT IS CHILD ABUSE. I wanted her to be arrested! I was so mad.

I also thought it kind of encouraged teenagers to do stupid shit against medical advice but that's lessened by the TOTAL LIE OF THE PLOT.

I'm excited to see Amandla Stenberg get a leading role but I wish it was any other book really.

• Like 4

I have to rant about this book for a little while because I really like the author and the premise is the lead character has the "bubble boy" disease that so often gets made fun of. And I thought, "How great to show what living with illness is actually like!" when I first heard about it. I have a chronic illness, not anything as bad as that, but like it's difficult to accept that your days are just never going to be like you see on TV or whatever.

But the Nicolas Sparks-like twist you refer to is that the mother made it up to "keep her safe" and she doesn't have the disease at all. Then they go to therapy and stuff is fine (because the father and brother died and she was like too distraught about that and didn't want to lose her daughter too?). BUT THAT IS CHILD ABUSE. I wanted her to be arrested! I was so mad.

I also thought it kind of encouraged teenagers to do stupid shit against medical advice but that's lessened by the TOTAL LIE OF THE PLOT.

I'm excited to see Amandla Stenberg get a leading role but I wish it was any other book really.

After watching the trailer, I wanted to post this gif as a joke. Glad I didn't!

F95urW1.gif

• Like 1

Not a trailer but REAL LIFE that should be a movie....

DHmOnx0UAAAyfZ8.jpg

To be fair, I don't think he knew it was stolen when he paid just shy of 300k for it.

Very excited for this show, though I hope the woman in the trailer getting a gun aimed at her head isn't Maria Castle, as that would be an egregious break in continuity.

• Like 3

Very excited for this show, though I hope the woman in the trailer getting a gun aimed at her head isn't Maria Castle, as that would be an egregious break in continuity.

I'm sure we can expect more than one woman to be brutalized. Yay?

• Like 2

I'm sure we can expect more than one woman to be brutalized. Yay?

If it's the bad guys I guess, because that would break canon even more as the Punisher targeted 90% male villains, with the only females being like super egregious baddies like Elektra, sex slavers, and child murderers. Though with Elektra it was more of a frenemy kind of thing as they would go from trying to kill each other to being lovers, sort of just depended on if Elektra was running the Hand or not.