🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This is why I always preferred Arnold over Sly as Arnold has always been able to step back and realize he's kind of a dopey actor and that he can just have fun with what he does unlike Stallone who still takes himself way too seriously. This looks really fun and with the other people involved should be pretty funny.

• Like 1

I saw that Villainess trailer a little while ago and I REALLY want to see it. I don't know why, but I'm more excited for it than any Asian actioner since The Raid II. I hope it's good.

And not a trailer, but when HDTGM inevitably does another Stephen King adaptation, we as a board should play this together:

DJosksGXgAEW7ZF.jpg

• Like 7

And not a trailer, but when HDTGM inevitably does another Stephen King adaptation, we as a board should play this together:

If only Rose Red was a theatrical movie rather than a mini-series we'd all get a Bingo in the first half hour.

• Like 3

What other ninjas are June's kind of ninjas? Not ninja turtles. Not ninja terminators. Not surf ninjas (question mark because she wasn't in that episode)?

• Like 2

I saw that Villainess trailer a little while ago and I REALLY want to see it. I don't know why, but I'm more excited for it than any Asian actioner since The Raid II. I hope it's good.

DJosksGXgAEW7ZF.jpg

It's missing Derry. NOW I DON'T WANT TO PLAY!

tenor.gif

• Like 1

New Lara Croft. Was there a lot of demand for this? I'm confused.

They're trying to capitalize on the success of the rebooted video game franchise. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the trailer and footage from the 2013 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gcGxLwC29I

Edited to add: The game reboot was intended to divorce Lara Croft from her grossly objectified/male gaze-y history and, to that end, they hired Rhianna (daughter of Terry) Pratchett as lead writer of the series. Their attempts were not altogether successful. In a post-Force Awakens, post-Jessica Jones, post-Wonder Woman world, I imagine studios are scrambling to get on the Strong Female Protagonist hype train.

I didn't even realize there was a reboot of the game. This seems pretty much shot-for-shot remake of a video game. That... doesn't seem like a good idea? It didn't even work with Watchmen, which is a revered comic book. (If out dated)

Oh good attempted rape. I love attempted rape. Very excited to not watch this movie.

• Like 3

Yeah the last two Croft games have been very well received by critics and players, mainly because they became more survival games in an open environment rather than the linear shooter/platform that they were. I kinda understand why they are pulling almost completely from the game as that really hasn't been done in a game adaptation since the first Mortal Kombat, so it seems the studio is seeing if a direct adaptation will fare better than an original story set in an established universe. I do like the choice of Vikander as Croft as Angelina Jolie just seemed to be picked as A-list eye candy for the first two films.

On the TV side of things, I cannot wait to see Punisher, though I don't know why Netflix is being secretive with the release date, which will most likely be around Veteran's Day in order to allow viewers to not have to pick between it and Stranger Things.

• Like 1

Yeah the last two Croft games have been very well received by critics and players, mainly because they became more survival games in an open environment rather than the linear shooter/platform that they were. I kinda understand why they are pulling almost completely from the game as that really hasn't been done in a game adaptation since the first Mortal Kombat, so it seems the studio is seeing if a direct adaptation will fare better than an original story set in an established universe. I do like the choice of Vikander as Croft as Angelina Jolie just seemed to be picked as A-list eye candy for the first two films.

Didn't the original series push Lara Croft as eye candy anyway. I avoided them at the time but that's the sense I got from friends who played them (that may have been purely teenage boys telling me how hot she was).

The new series, based on the first game, seems like it's purposefully downplaying Lara Croft as sex object even if she looks like objectively beautiful Alicia Vikander. I'm coincidentally starting the second one tomorrow and I hope that continues in that game as well.

Didn't the original series push Lara Croft as eye candy anyway. I avoided them at the time but that's the sense I got from friends who played them (that may have been purely teenage boys telling me how hot she was).

The new series, based on the first game, seems like it's purposefully downplaying Lara Croft as sex object even if she looks like objectively beautiful Alicia Vikander. I'm coincidentally starting the second one tomorrow and I hope that continues in that game as well.

The first one was unintentionally eye candy as it was a coding error on the part of the programmers that caused the chest to be a bit bigger by a few pixels, but the gameplay was also really solid and bolstered the game. Yet once she was marked a sex symbol, they shifted focus towards that for the next couple games. When the publisher tried to steer back into games that focused on good gameplay, they were mediocre at best, up until this most recent couple which completely overhauled the character and gameplay.

• Like 1

The first one was unintentionally eye candy as it was a coding error on the part of the programmers that caused the chest to be a bit bigger by a few pixels, but the gameplay was also really solid and bolstered the game. Yet once she was marked a sex symbol, they shifted focus towards that for the next couple games. When the publisher tried to steer back into games that focused on good gameplay, they were mediocre at best, up until this most recent couple which completely overhauled the character and gameplay.

That's interesting about the glitch. I didn't know that.

That's interesting about the glitch. I didn't know that.

Yeah if I remember right they either didn't catch it because they were rushing to meet the release date or by the time they did the game was already shipped but was getting great reviews nonetheless. It was after that where the character went from being a C cup to a full on DD that was featured in every bit of marketing. I am honestly amazed though that the series never went full on "DOA Beach Volleyball" where the characters had bustlines that made anime characters blush and would bounce around even when the characters were standing still.

Was not expecting it to come off as a horror film, very interesting move for the X-Men universe.

• Like 1

I'm totally stoked for that New Mutants movie, it was one of my favorite comics when I was a kid. It looks like they have most of the classic characters, with the notable exception of Doug and Warlock (who is probably too weird and silly to appear in this). Looks like Arya Stark is playing the Scottish werewolf, and that lady from Split is Colossus' little sister.

New Mutants is notable in that it was killed by Rob Liefeld -- he took it over as artist and writer, and within a year had replaced it with his own shitty creation, X-Force. This movie looks like it's adapting an old arc though, which pleases me.

I'm totally stoked for that New Mutants movie, it was one of my favorite comics when I was a kid. It looks like they have most of the classic characters, with the notable exception of Doug and Warlock (who is probably too weird and silly to appear in this). Looks like Arya Stark is playing the Scottish werewolf, and that lady from Split is Colossus' little sister.

New Mutants is notable in that it was killed by Rob Liefeld -- he took it over as artist and writer, and within a year had replaced it with his own shitty creation, X-Force. This movie looks like it's adapting an old arc though, which pleases me.

To be fair, X-Force is good, without Liefeld's shittiness. Everything since Remender's run in '14 has been fantastic.

• Like 1