🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

56 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

Out of curiosity I googled when the Tate Murders occurred, Aug 8 & 9 of '69. I'm wondering if they trying to "cash in" (for lack of a better term--or maybe that is the best term) on the 50th Anniversary of the Tate Murders and the publicity that I'm sure will surround it.  

I was born on August 6 and two days later the Manson murders happened.  Hmmm...

24 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I was born on August 6 and two days later the Manson murders happened.  Hmmm...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

The release date makes more sense now. As for other release dates throughout the year, I love how now apparently April is in the summer movie season, when only a decade ago the season started in June. This though is also do to so many attempts at tentpole movies being released the same time as one another. There were a number of articles a few years ago that discussed how 2017 and 18 were going to be huge moments of big movies cannibalizing each other's box offices, which happened in some instances, leading to some more visible spreading out. And speaking of Jordan Peele, if you haven't seen Us yet, do so because it is FUCKING AMAZING.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RyanSz said:

The release date makes more sense now. As for other release dates throughout the year, I love how now apparently April is in the summer movie season, when only a decade ago the season started in June. This though is also do to so many attempts at tentpole movies being released the same time as one another. There were a number of articles a few years ago that discussed how 2017 and 18 were going to be huge moments of big movies cannibalizing each other's box offices, which happened in some instances, leading to some more visible spreading out. And speaking of Jordan Peele, if you haven't seen Us yet, do so because it is FUCKING AMAZING.

To an extent, I like the idea that tentpole or blockbusters are coming out in wider timeframes throughout the year. I am kind of against movie seasons outside of things like Christmas movies at Christmas or scary movies at Halloween or whatever.  Marvel movies, Jordan Peele movies, 50 Shades movies, etc. keep proving that people will see a movie any month of the year. Studios are finally unlearning the lesson they learned from Jaws.

As a former theater employee, it's probably just easier on everyone's lives to not have a weekend or month where you get killed because multiple blockbusters came out one Friday then have February through April and late August through early October be dead.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 11:37 AM, taylorannephoto said:

I want this "Ted Bundy is hot" trend to die in a fire lol.

This is why we can’t have nice things 

• Like 3

On 3/22/2019 at 10:48 PM, RyanSz said:

And speaking of Jordan Peele, if you haven't seen Us yet, do so because it is FUCKING AMAZING.

I am so anxious to see Us for the second time! There was so much I missed the first time, and the second viewing will be like seeing the negative of a print. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I am so anxious to see Us for the second time! There was so much I missed the first time, and the second viewing will be like seeing the negative of a print. 

I'm going to see it tonight.

6 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Was that a crazy mind screwer!  It was different than I expected based on the trailer but no less insane.  I also thought sure the dad was the "friend" from Get Out.  Sounded just like him to me.  Nope.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Was that a crazy mind screwer!  It was different than I expected based on the trailer but no less insane.  I also thought sure the dad was the "friend" from Get Out.  Sounded just like him to me.  Nope.

The dad was so great. He had these few expressions that just melted me. I loved him! 

On 3/31/2019 at 10:27 PM, RyanSz said:

Going back to my post about the Child's Play remake, considering that Brad Douriff is not involved with this film, this is at least a decent replacement for him.  https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/mark-hamill-voice-chucky-childs-play-1202054734/.

It is, but it's also totally unnecessary. Brad Douriff has such respect among cult movie/horror fans, I don't know what this is gaining the franchise. I love both Hamill and Douriff, so I want them to do more stuff. But I've never been a Child's Play fan anyway, so maybe this will give Douriff the chance to be extra weird in another franchise.

1 hour ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

It is, but it's also totally unnecessary. Brad Douriff has such respect among cult movie/horror fans, I don't know what this is gaining the franchise. I love both Hamill and Douriff, so I want them to do more stuff. But I've never been a Child's Play fan anyway, so maybe this will give Douriff the chance to be extra weird in another franchise.

Yeah there's a big split between the studios and the original creators of the franchise. The series was basically dead after the overly campy Seed of Chucky, so the next film was relegated to straight to DVD, and the original team was brought back in to what they wanted with it. Then when Curse of Chucky came out it was a surprise hit with critics and fans as it was a back to basics horror film which led to the even better Cult of Chucky, which got a similar response. So the studio saw that success and with all of the horror remakes deced to strike while the iron was hot and make this film, without anyone from that team, while they are continuing the story from the last two films in a TV series that's currently being worked on. I'm still hoping the reboot is a good movie, but it's already been put in an uphill battle of sorts.

• Like 1

Having seen the new Hobbs and Shaw trailer, I'm starting to waver on it as it's pushing into that "oh come on" level of craziness if only for the scene of the Rock and his family lining up to battle Idris Elba's giant squad of armed and armored men, with no guns and no armor, then running full force at their enemies to fistfight them. I'm sorry but the Samoan warrior spirit doesn't hold up well to tanks and fully automatic weapons. At least with other stuff in the film it fits in that they are playing up the cartoon angle of the situation, but by seemingly playing it straight faced for this seems odd to me.

On another note though, they finally put out a trailer for The Boys which looks to be a great adaptation of a batshit insane series by Garth Ennis, though unfortunately they only have Simon Pegg in a side role rather than the one based on his likeness in the book.

47 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

On another note though, they finally put out a trailer for The Boys which looks to be a great adaptation of a batshit insane series by Garth Ennis, though unfortunately they only have Simon Pegg in a side role rather than the one based on his likeness in the book.

It was interesting watching both those trailers back to back because they definitely painted the show as two very different genres. I'm assuming it's a little more black comedy with ultra violence since it's online and not the gritty melodrama a la Gotham like they showed in the latter one.

19 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

It was interesting watching both those trailers back to back because they definitely painted the show as two very different genres. I'm assuming it's a little more black comedy with ultra violence since it's online and not the gritty melodrama a la Gotham like they showed in the latter one.

Oh it's definitely not like Gotham. When Ennis started the series he was quoted as saying that he wanted to "out-Preacher Preacher" in regards to over the top craziness, which he did in spades. Dynamite Entertainment basically gave him carte blanche to do what he wanted and he stretched the usage of parody to its limit with his versions of recognizable comic characters. It mixed in serious topics like abuse of power and corporate corruption while mixing in what comic readers would talk about like how could a godlike being like Superman have a kid with Lois Lane without killing her or what happens to the people caught in the crossfire of those epic fights or who is paying for these super teams to operate when most of them live double lives as public servants or reporters.

So I saw this trailer as an ad before a video on Youtube and it does seem like an interesting premise, especially when I realized it wasn't some hidden monster but rather alligators as the primary antagonist. If done well it could be a pretty tense thriller, but if it isn't then I think we have another great HDTGM episode on our hands.

It's trailers like this that remind me that Luc Besson could make some amazing action films with female leads, but it also reminds me that Lucy had a similar action-filled trailer before I realized in the theater watching it that it was an utter brainfart. I really hope Anna is more like La Femme Nikita instead of Lucy.

• Like 1

The new Spider-Man trailer talks about a multiverse. Which means, I hope, eventual live-action MCU Spider-Verse?

Also, Phil Lord and Chris Miller are making a Spider-Verse cartoon for TV.

*dies*

• Like 1

I like the multiverse talk, but I just can't take it serious yet considering the info appears to be coming from Mysterio, who became a villain when it was revealed he faked all of his amazing fights and villains using movie magic/special effects. Now I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another MCU twist in this like in Captain Marvel, but I'm leaning more to it sticking with comic lore given they've teased no other A-list name in this film unless it's somehow revealed Happy Hogan is behind it all.

Ryan, I'm not sure I would go into comic lore that could possibly spoil the movie for people not necessarily hip on the books in the trailer section.

But I didn't mention anything about what the twist entailed in Captain Marvel and Mysterio has only been known as a villain in Spider-Man comics for the last 55 years, plus with MCU fans there is a certain formula to how their casts are used in solo films. Plus this is really my theory at the moment as the movie hasn't come out yet, and like I stated I wouldn't be surprised one way or another with how they go with it.

A trailer finally came out for this Vertigo comic from a couple years ago and I'm very interested in how they handle this, especially with how good the comic was, although it does look like they will keep this dark and serious like the comic. Interesting to see Tiffany Haddish in this as it's her first dramatic role that I can recall and a period piece at that.

Sorry if I’m breaking any rules by writing a post with a political reference, but could someone photoshop (or whatever the tech is) Trump’s face onto Pennywise? PLEASE?

On 7/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, GrahamS. said:

Sorry if I’m breaking any rules by writing a post with a political reference, but could someone photoshop (or whatever the tech is) Trump’s face onto Pennywise? PLEASE?

Kind of an insult to Pennywise.

• Like 1

That’s true. Pennywise is thoughtful and patient in how he spreads terror. Apologies to Pennywise for my libelous comparison.

• Like 1